all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, November 29, 2012

“Christmasizing” with Cranberry-Grape Compote



The turkey is over and done with ~ the fall décor stashed away ~ readying me for “Christmasizing” the house the last few days.  The short tree in the living room was trimmed with lights and ornaments, only to be dismantled the next morning, and replaced with a 7.5-foot slim tree, and even more trimming.  






What I really wanted to do was get in the kitchen and do a little cooking. There was a bag of cranberries waiting in the refrigerator for a makeover, and I was happy to oblige.  I like the canned variety, but always like to try something new.  






The credit for this recipe goes to Martha Stewart.  Plump, juicy red grapes complement tart cranberries perfectly.  Fresh or frozen cranberries can be used, with there being no need to thaw frozen ones. 


This is a great sweet/tart accompaniment for savory meats such as steak, turkey, pork chops, and probably even wild game.  If you like cranberries and grapes, it’s worth a try!







Cranberry-Grape Compote
Adapted

Ingredients:

1 package (12-ounces) cranberries
3 cups seedless red grapes
1 cup sugar or Splenda
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup water

Method:

In a large saucepan over medium-high, bring cranberries and

Place all ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, and simmer until most of the cranberries have popped and grapes are falling apart, 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
Compote will thicken as it cools.
Serve at room temperature.


Enjoy!

 
Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 









Pin It

15 comments:

StephenC said...

A marvelous combination. I, too, am a huge fan of Splenda.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I wish we could get cranberries easily here, this sounds delicious. Keep well Diane

Rita said...

I always have a bag of cranberries in the freezer just in case. Never would have thought to add grapes; I also use Splenda.
Rita

My Little Space said...

Hmmm...mmm...sounds like X'mas just around the corner. Love this special season. Feel like I'm in the mood already. haha... Hope you're enjoying the day.
Blessings, Kristy

scrambledhenfruit said...

I like your word "Christmasizing!" Cranberries and grapes sound like a good combination. :)

Melinda said...

Sounds interesting.
I'll have to remember this
when I want something different.

M :)

Linda Burgett said...

I love cranberry sauce and this recipe is one I plan on making for my Christmas dinner!

Jenn said...

The tree is lovely, Pam! And I love this compote.. nice little twist with the grapes in there!

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Yum. I love the idea of grapes and cranberries, and if I made it with Splenda I wouldn't have guilt feelings when I have a second serving. Love your skinny tree, Pam.

Dining Alone said...

My tree has the same color theme, yours looks wonderful. I wish I liked fruit more!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I will have to try this! I've been looking for yummy recipes made with Splenda. Thanks!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What an interesting combination with the grapes. Sounds delicious!

João Silva said...

Pam...as usual...fantastic, congratutaions and go on!!!I will follow!

Regards

JS

hbs1991 said...

Hi Pam, miss talking with you so much! However I can see you are busy with tree trimming and it is just beautiful!
The Cranberry & Grape compote look great and tastes great also I know. That was a great idea!

Salsa Verde said...

Amazing combination. I'll have to give it a go!!
Cheers,
Lia.