all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, September 7, 2012

Sour Cherry Coffee Cake



If there would be one thing I’d like to hoard, it would be cherries.  And I’d be in paradise if I had my own cherry orchard!



Photo credit:  Cooking Light



Cherries are not only delicious; they’re healthy too, being in the top 20 of antioxidant foods. They’re chock-full of vitamins and fiber, aiding in the fight against cancer, pre-diabetes and neurological diseases. They could possibly aid in a good night’s sleep due to their concentration of melatonin. 

 My parents both suffered, from time to time, with pain, stiffness and swelling of their joints from arthritis.  I remember them including cherries in their diet as a way of reducing the inflammation.  Dad was adamant that it helped.

Besides all of the above, they’re even a pretty, fun decorative image on everything from tablecloths to swimwear!



Photo:  Napa Valley Vintage Home







Photo:  The Fashion Police.net
Cherry earrings too!

















The bags of cherries in the freezer, led to making this delicious coffee cake.  This recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart’s recipe and one you must try if you also have a cherry fetish.  





Frozen dark sweet cherries may be substituted for the sour cherries, or canned tart cherries may be used.  Let the frozen cherries thaw before using.  This recipe makes a lot of crumb topping and I used every bit of it; you may not want to.  The sour cherries add a bit of tartness and sweetness in every bite that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch or just a snack!






Sour Cherry Coffee Cake                     

For the Topping:

4 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for pan
¾ cup flour, plus more for pan
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup packed light-brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Stir together all ingredients and set aside.

Ingredients for the Cake:

1½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup buttermilk
2 cups fresh sour cherries, pitted, drained well and patted dry

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter a 9” round baking dish, dust with flour, tap out excess.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Working in alternating batches, add flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. 
Beat until just combined.
Pour into prepared pan, and smooth with an offset spatula.
Dot top with cherries.
Sprinkle with crumb topping.

Bake until golden brown and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
Let cool before slicing.


SWEET!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda, at My Kind of Cooking She always gives us good tips and good and easy recipes also!






Pin It

28 comments:

jose manuel said...

Que delicia, me encanta.

Saludos

Salsa Verde said...

Hi Pam,
I love cakes with sour cherries and the texture of your cake looks so crumbly and moreish!!
Cheers and hope you have a lovely weekend,
Lia.

Salsa Verde said...

Hi Pam,
I love cakes with sour cherries and the texture of your cake looks so crumbly and moreish!!
Cheers and hope you have a lovely weekend,
Lia.

David said...

Pam, I love cherries too! Added to coffee cake with a nice crumbly top and you cannot miss! Thanks for the recipe...time for a late breakfast! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I love cherries, but I never cook with them, I just eat them fresh. This recipe is going to change that for me! I can't wait to try it!

From the Kitchen said...

Doesn't look like that cake lasted very long! It wouldn't at my house either. I suppose our great love of cherries has to do with, not only how delicious they are,
but how short the season is. Quite honestly, it is difficult to do anything with them other than eat them but I'm bookmarking this for the next season.

Best,
Bonnie

Velva said...

I could eat cherries till I keeled over...Love, love them.

Your cake rocks!

Velva

Lyndsey Chapin said...

So funny I was looking for a coffee cake recipe that I could use my almond paste in, and I saw one that was a Martha Stewet recipe. I'll bet almonds and cherries go well together :D My sister lives in Michigan and has a cottage up in Traverse City (known as the cherry capital) so needless to say she has everything cherry in her cottage(which is actually bigger than my house). They have cherry stores all over up there...you'd love it!

Receitas de Sedução said...

Vim fazer-lhe uma visita e gostei muito do que vi.
Parabéns pelo seu blogue.
Já fiquei sua seguidora.

Agora aguardo uma visita sua no meu recanto de Receitas de Sedução.

Beijinhos e um excelente fim de semana.

Aurea Sá

Pegasuslegend said...

I can imagine how great this taste. I am a huge lover of any kind of cherries. Rainier being my favorite. So this peaked my interest. I have sour cherries canned.. going to try this with them will have to really pat them dry!

Curts Delectables said...

I wouldnt leave a crumb! Love cherry anything!

Lizzy Do said...

YUM! The more streusel the better! And that cherry tablecloth is so cute :) Hope you have a nice weekend, Pam!

Pam said...

Thanks to all of you! Cherries are the perfect fruit, in my book!

Amoridoce by coradinha said...

Hi my Dear!:) well this cake looks absolutely yummy! i really love cherries:p kisses and have a fabulous weekend, see you soon i hope:)

Penny said...

I love all of your cherry pictures. This is one coffee cake that I would love to try. Thanks Pam.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Due to the bad winter this year our whole area had no cherries :-( I do though have a whole lot in the freezer from last year :-) This recipe sounds wonderful and very mouth watering. Keep well Diane

Dining Alone said...

My Father in Law has problems with gout so he drinks cherry juice. I had no idea it helps with arthritis but that totally makes sense!

Pacheco Patty said...

I can't think of a better way to start the weekend than with a cherry coffee cake and I agree with you on hoarding cherries- they are sweet;-)

Chris said...

I like cherries too, because they pair so well with pork. Sour cherry coffee cake and pork don't pair so well together though, ha ha.

Coffee cakes always remind me of church socials hosted at our house.

katiez said...

We had a sour cherry tree at our last house but I never knew what to do with them. Now I make do with helping the neighbor with their 3 sweet cherry trees. But that doesn't give me any for the freezer - and they're quite expensive to buy.

Shug said...

I have heard so much lately, of how good cherries are for us...Glad that I like them...
This looks yummy!
Shug

Kathleen said...

Love these cherries in the coffee cake!

Danielle Imstuffed said...

My lonely cup of coffee would really appreciate that last slice. it look so good.

teresa said...

i'd like a slice of that with a hot cuppa tea, YUM!

Lynda said...

This looks delicious Pam! I remember my grandmother saying that cherries were good for arthritis too-maybe there is something to it.

Nowak said...

I´m sooo lucky that I found your blog, becaus I´m always cooking and baking the same things!! soo your blog is a great inspiration for me and my family! thanks a lot!

What's Baking?? said...

Like you, I wish I have a cherry tree too..your cake looks awesome, Pam. I especially love the struedel top and the delightful cherries beneath it.

hbs1991 said...

Hi Pam!
Just wonderful! Sour cherries and everything made with them are the best. Love sour cherries! This looks so good.