all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting



I’m a little late to the Red Velvet Party, but I’ve arrived with a tray of delicious cupcakes…



Several years ago, I cut out, and saved, this recipe from our local newspaper, The Northwest Herald, and finally got around to making the cupcakes recently.  Red velvet is a buttermilk batter, incorporating cocoa, and may be dark red or bright red, depending upon whether it is colored with red food coloring or beetroot.

Supposedly, Red Velvet Cake was first made at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in the 1920’s; however, according to Southerner’s, it may have been a southern thing long before then.  Many years later, in 1989, a resurgence of the cake’s popularity was attributed to the film, “Steel Magnolias,” in which the groom’s cake was a red velvet cake in the shape of an armadillo (a southern tradition.)

These cupcakes have just the correct amount of chocolate in them and are springy and light, exactly the way I like a cupcake.  And, the cream cheese frosting on top is, “just like icing on a cake!” 



Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients for the cake:

2 cups flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1½ cups granulated sugar
1 (1-ounce) bottle red liquid food coloring
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk

Ingredients for the frosting:

½ cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Methods:

For cake:

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl; using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla and butter until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time.
Reduce mixer speed to low and alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.
Divide the batter between the pans and bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

For frosting:

Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, 3 minutes.
Frost the cooled cupcakes.

 Velvety mouth-watering they are!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kindof Cooking for great tips and recipes. 






Pin It

13 comments:

Marina@Picnic at Marina said...

Pam, those cupcake looks delicious! I am sure everyone loved it! :)

StephenC said...

It's a long story, but I had red velvet cake just once, around 1978 in Key West, Florida at a dinner hosted by a man (name long forgotten and he is certainly dead by now) who had a restaurant on Cape Cod in the summer and one in Key West in the winter. I was captivated by the color and enchanted by the taste and texture.

Mary said...

Pam, these look fabulous. I can't be trusted with them :-)I've bookmarked the recipe to use for a church potluck. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Red Velvet cake is my son's favorite cake! And you can't go wrong with cream cheese frosting!

Pam said...

Marina, thanks!

Stephen, I love Key West for lots of reasons and have great memories of it as I'm sure you do with that cake. It must've been memorable!

Mary, this will make your church folks happy!

Linda, your son knows what's good and I so agree with you about the frosting!

Zimbabwe said...

The cream cheese frosting has my mouth watering :-)))) Keep well Diane

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love red velvet cake and these look yummy, too.

Jenn said...

Better late than never is what I always say!!! LOVE red velvet anything... might be the cream cheese frosting that usually goes with it.. might just be the cake.. not sure but I sure do love it :)

Dining Alone said...

They look delicious. I have always wondered why Red Velvet cake has been such a big deal in the last few years, I didn't realize it was from a movie.

laurie said...

I haven't had red velvet for ages...my mom used to make the cake..it was awesome! Your cupcakes look delicious!

Monet said...

Adore adore adore red velvet. Thank you so much for sharing...what a delicious way to end my weekend. I hope you have a beautiful Monday, my friend!

Catherine said...

Dear Pam, your cupcakes look wonderful. I love red velvet and cream cheese frosting. Blessings, Catherine

Salsa Verde said...

Hi Pam,
They look so yummy your cupcakes!! I love red velvet batter and the cream cheese frosting, OMG, I LOVE IT so much!!
Cheers,
Lia.