all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Quick Dill Pickles


The worker at the farmers' market brought in a basket of Kirby cucumbers while I was there yesterday, so I bought some to make this recipe of Martha Stewart’s that I’ve been hanging on to.

The word “quick” got my attention, and that they are, no canning involved.  There’s a great blend of pickling spices and garlic to go with the vinegar and a little sugar.  I let the flavors mingle in the refrigerator over-night and popped a couple in my mouth early this morning.  Yum!  They’re good and crisp, a little salty.







 These are definitely worth making!  To me, nothing makes a sandwich taste better than a dill pickle topping it, or on the side ~ plus a handful of potato chips!





Quick Dill Pickles

Ingredients:

1 pound Kirby cucumbers, sliced
2 tablespoons coarse salt
1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon pickling spice
2 teaspoons salt
1 clove garlic
A few sprigs fresh dill
1 tablespoon sugar

Method:

Toss sliced cucumbers with coarse salt.
Chill 1 hour.
Rinse and drain.
Combine remaining 7 ingredients.
Stir well to dissolve sugar.
Add cukes and chill in a quart container overnight (or up to 1 month).


Happy Pickling!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind Of Cooking.  She has unique tips on Tuesdays and yummy recipes every Friday!







Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Though my grandmother made great pickles, I haven't made them. You may have inspired me. I will be looking for those cute Kirby cukes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me. Anything quick has my vote :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buttercup, thanks! This is an easy recipe to begin with.

    Diane, I'm with you all the way, easy works good! Hope your're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious and I have all the ingredients. I brought home a big bag full of Kirby's this morning. What good timing. I don't think they'll be lasting a month around here!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dilled pickles. Reminds me of some fun times pickling cukes with my mother-in-law. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, this is so easy and they're pretty good too. Have a good evening!

    Ellen, me too! I remember those days too with my mother and grandmother. Have a good rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally commend you making them it's one of those scary hard things to make and you make it look so easy... this is an art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, pickles are so good, Pam... I am making some pickles tomorrow (I leave cucumbers in a very cold water overnight in refrigerator for crunchiness) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love me a good dill. Now if I can only find Kirbys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a fine looking jar of pickles Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love homemade pickles! This sounds fantastic, Pam! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam, Your pickles look terrific! We just got a whole jar of what we call 'half-dones' from Larry, aka. Big Dude. They're crispy and taste great... Thanks for your recipe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pam - lovely! I do so look forward to canning again when I retire from my store. I used to make these years ago and will copy your recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a must try! I need to get to the farmers market again...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man those would be great on a pulled pork sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, what a great recipe. Finally, I can make pickles and I don't have to have all those canning supplies!! Thanks for sharing, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pickles are a must for me! I have never made them before, so thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have some of these very pickles just hanging out in the refrigerator waiting for the perfect sandwich. Your's look super delicious, Pam. I'm sure they perked up whatever you served them with. =)

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam