all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pork Medallions with Blackberry Chutney



Imagine wearing a long-sleeved shirt tucked into long pants ~ a hot summer day under the scorching sun ~ trudging through the field, with a basket swinging from your hand ~ heading toward the blackberry brambles by the creek…



Photo credit:  JCorblis




We picked baskets full of large, juicy blackberries and carried them back to the kitchen for Mom to bake her mouthwatering blackberry pies.  There was a price to pay though ~ torn clothing, and scratches on our hands from the briars plus, a few bug bites on our necks.  Not to mention, magenta-stained fingers.  It was all worth the effort though ~ because of a slice of fresh blackberry pie later.

Those days, growing up on the farm, are long over.  My blackberries come from the farmers’ markets now ~ not as plentiful, nor as good as fresh-picked, but delicious nonetheless for blackberry cobblers and pies, jam; and even as a snack with a piquant cheese, or a sauce made from the recipe below.








This blackberry chutney, a Martha Stewart recipe, is the perfect accompaniment to pork medallions.  It’s a sweet and fruity sauce, with the sharp tang of sherry vinegar, which enhances the meat.  If you like blackberries and pork, you’ll really like this!


Pork Medallions with Blackberry Chutney

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons butter, divided
2 large shallots, thinly sliced
¼ cup sherry vinegar
¼ cup dark-brown sugar
1½ cups blackberries
Salt and pepper
1 pork tenderloin (1½ pounds), cut into 1-inch slices and flattened slightly with your palm

Method:

In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
Sauté shallots until tender.
Add vinegar, brown sugar and blackberries and cook until mixture is syrupy and some of the berries have collapsed, about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
Remove to a bowl and set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon butter to skillet.
Season half of pork with salt and pepper and place in skillet. 
Cook until golden brown.
Repeat with remaining pork.
Serve pork medallions topped with chutney.


ENJOY!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind Of Cooking.  She has unique tips on Tuesdays and yummy recipes every Friday!







Pin It

18 comments:

StephenC said...

When I was a tyke we would drive into the hills outside Elmira, NY and pick elderberries in July or August. Same purple stains, same delicious sauce or jam. Boy oh boy how I crave pork medallions.

JG said...

Pam, I smiled as I read your post. Growing up we had 2 large gardens and now I like the roadside stands with the local produce. :) Your Chutney looks so good!
~Judy

Ellen B Cookery said...

My husband has a few of these great stories too and often boasts about the taste of fresh picked berries. He says there's nothing better!

Pam said...

Stephen, I've never had elderberries and would like to find them. We've got 2 large mulberry trees in our yard, but with the early blooming and hot weather dried them. I wanted to make mulberry jam.

JG, I can relate to that! Growing up, we had a couple of gardens and then after being married another one. Now, we have too much shade for one, sometimes I'd like to have one, but most times, I'm happy with the farmers' markets now!

Ellen, your husband knows what's good! :-) Berries freshly picked, are ripe and hard to beat! Have a good day!

jose manuel said...

Estupenda salsa. Saludos

Kathleen said...

This looks like an ah-mazing combo!

Catherine said...

Dear Pam, Those are good memories. I bet it was fun.
Fresh picked berries are so good.
This pork with the blackberry chutney sounds real good.
Thank you for the visit and your nice comment.
Have a good evening. Blessings dearest. Catherine xo

Pegasuslegend said...

love fresh berries this would be adorned in my home!

What's Baking?? said...

I am jealous. You get to pick berries fresh from the shrubs and not pay a cent. Over here, the berries are not cheap at all. This is a fabulous dessert, Pam!

Jenn said...

Aaahhh.. yes, we picked blackberries too... and oh the scratches and purple hands we'd come back with! Good times :) I bet this chutney was wonderful with the pork.

Pam said...

jose manuel, gracias y saludos!

Kathleen, thanks! Have a good day!

Catherine, thanks so much! That's very kind of you. Blessings to you and have a wonderful day!

Claudia, thanks! Glad you like it.

WB, thank you and here's wishing you a good day!

Jenn, it was fun that had a great reward, right? Happy to buy them at the farmers' market now though!

Pam said...

We have a ton of blackberry bushes in Oregon. The pork and chutney sound great!

Gloria said...

I love blackberries Pam and this chutney sounds delicious!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Oh yes, those delicious blackberries and their thorns.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, that is an awesome combination! I love pork and blackberries.

Cheers,

Rosa

Shug said...

Sounds like I need to send you some "Thornless Blackberry Plants"
I have never heard of Blackberry chutney....sounds wonderful!

shug

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Oh, this sounds sooo good! I make pork with sliced apples, but I have never made it with berries. Thanks for the recipe!

Chris said...

Blackberries always remind me of my grandmother and her farm. We always just ate them with sugar straight out of a bowl or she would make cobbler of course. But I love this idea of doing it with pork.