all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, July 27, 2012

Creole Catfish with Vidalia-Olive Relish


President Ronald Reagan declared June 25th National Catfish Day in 1987, due to its symbolism of American summertime fun.  Catfish is also the fifth (see #5) most popular fish in America.

I know a lot of you, like me, think it’s great and the rest of you, wouldn’t dream of cooking up a batch; however, you should try this recipe for baked catfish. It just might cause you to like catfish!

Catfish takes on the flavors that it’s cooked with and in this case, spices add snap to the catfish, while the sweet onions and tangy olives in the relish make this dish mouthwatering delicious!




This simple catfish recipe is adapted from Cooking Light.  If you don’t like corn meal, substitute flour.  The blackened seasoning adds a definite kick to the fish ~ adjust to your liking.   Fried catfish is delicious, but baking it is a great change of pace and a healthy alternative.  It’s spicy delicious with the relish!




Creole Catfish with Vidalia-Olive Relish

Ingredients:

1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
1 cup Vidalia onion, chopped
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
3 tablespoons chopped pitted green olives
3 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon thyme
½ cup corn meal
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon Old Bay Blackened Seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
4 farm-raised catfish filets

Method:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion and bell pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add olives, water and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Set aside.*
On a plate, combine corn meal, paprika, Old Bay Seasoning and garlic powder.
Dredge catfish filets through corn meal mixture, pressing and coating fish well.
Place fish on a non-stick baking pan that has been coated with 1 tablespoon canola oil.
Bake until fish flakes easily.
Serve with relish.

*Chill relish in refrigerator before serving, if desired; or, serve at room temperature.


This is some spicy delicious Creole catfish!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 





Pin It

21 comments:

  1. I'm with you Pam! We do like our catfish! My daughter likes it and when my nieces we little they always liked it. It's like liver and onions. My mom made it for us when we were kids and it was always good, we didn't know we weren't supposed to like liver. I will eat it out anywhere, just my mom's. It has to be the way she made it. Catfish I have always prepared on a hot cast iron skillet...blackened and quick pan fried. I have never baked catfish before...looks like I must try it this way next! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well darn, I missed catfish day! yours looks delicious, it is such a versatile fish. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on catfish but they didn't feature this yummy relish. When we moved up here from Charleston, S.C., I was very concerned that I'd never again find Vidalia onions. Happily, they "followed" me north.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the relish here, but I'll pass on the catfish. I used to eat it all the time, but one very strong fishy tasting piece made me give it up easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely a catfish lover and both the fish and the relish look scrumptious! Love the spices and ingredients. Thanks for the great recipes and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sure does look good. The only problem I have is not knowing where I'd be able to find catfish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ineresante plato y delicioso.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dish does look delicious, Pam. Fresh Catfish is not available often here, but I really liked it when I had it in FL. Baked would be so good!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had my first piece of catfish in Memphis in 1966. It had been caught right in the Mississississippippippi River. Since that moment in time, whenever I am in a restaurant that has catfish on the menu I order it. 'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had deep fried catfish and crab fingers for dinner tonight. That is the way I usually have catfish, but I love to try new recipes and yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds delicious but I have never seen catfish for sale in Europe :( Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. The word relish always congers up the taste of sweet pickle relish in my mind, which I don't care for. But this relish is something I will have to try as I love everything in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lyndsey, I'm happy to know that you like catfish too. I agree with you about the cast iron skillet and Bill agrees with you on the liver and onions. He loves it, and his mom used to make it perfectly with lots of bacon.

    DA, lol, I missed it too! Hope you're having a fun weekend!

    Bonnie, I'm so glad you moved up this way and had the Vidalias follow you! I hope you try the relish with the fish, it's good!

    Torviewtoronto, thanks! Glad you stopped by!

    Karen, I can relate to what you say as the same happened to me when I was a kid. But, I really like it now many years later. Try the relish!

    Marguerite, thanks! I'm sure you have a plentiful supply of catfish down your way and I can imagine all that Cajun and Creole goodness!

    Ellen, hoe you can find it in your area. It's fairly easy to find here in the larger grocery stores.

    jose manuel, gracias! Buen fin de semana!

    Judy, thanks! It is delicious! Try the relish with another fish as it goes so well with fish.

    Stephen, 1966 was a good year, actually all of the 60's were. lol Next to never do we see catfish on a menu around here, wish we did!

    Linda, yum! Your dinner sounds good! I love catfish deep-fried with hush puppies on the side!

    Diane, that's sad. It has a unique taste unlike other fish, I think it's good! Have a nice weekend!

    Larry, I agree. This "relish" is like a salsa to me, it's delcious! Hope you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was my father's favorite fish to catch, or complain about not catching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pam I am your newest follower. Coming from Whats Cookin italian Cuisine site... love your recipes and hope to share with you too! have a great weekened... Curt's Delectable Food Vlog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adam, your dad knew what was good! Thanks for stopping by!

    Curt, thank you! I will check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jay, thank you! Glad you like it and thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. #5? Wow, I never would have guessed. We ate catfish all the time when I was a child. My grandfather used to love to catch it and we all thought it was great. I'm going to save your recipe, Pam, for the next time I see it in the fish market. thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam