all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Country Club Chicken is a Hit Here!



I seldom cook with canned soup these days, but it definitely has its place in this tasty dish!






This recipe with BACON caught my eye over at Cathy’s great blog, Wives with Knives.  Evidently, the recipe has been making Pinterest and blog rounds lately, and since Kathy said it was delicious ~ it will be making repeat performances at her house; I had to give it a try. 

It’s comfort food all the way.  A creamy sauce of bacon, mushrooms, white wine, cheese, apple and onions, smothering juicy chicken, in a large bowl filled with plenty of spaghetti ~ what’s not to like about this?

I am happy to say, this is absolutely scrummy and more than worthy of the effort to cook it.  I would not hesitate to serve it to company.  Country Club Chicken will be making repeat performances here also!  I hope you try it! 




Country Club Chicken

Ingredients:

1 pound spaghetti
4 chicken breasts
1 large onion, diced
7 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 or 5 slices bacon
1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
2/3 cup sharp cheddar
1 apple (I used Granny Smith), peeled and diced
Pepper and salt, if desired

Method:

Cook bacon in skillet until crisp; set aside and crumble. Do not drain pan.
Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown on each side in same skillet you cooked the bacon in; place in casserole dish.
Cook the onion for 3 minutes. 
Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 3 minutes. 
Add the chopped apple and cook for another 3 minutes. 
Pour in the white wine and deglaze the pan.
Add the mushroom soup, bacon and grated cheese; mix well.
Season with pepper and salt, if desired.
Pour sauce over chicken and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

While chicken is baking, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
Place spaghetti in a large bowl.
Top with chicken and pour the sauce over all and serve.



It’s delicious and just as good leftover, if you are lucky enough to have any left!  And, it’s equally delicious served over mashed potatoes or rice!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 






Pin It

17 comments:

  1. This is so retro and probably should be in my new book in progress, "Back in the Day."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use much canned soup either, but I think I may have a can hiding somewhere in the pantry for emergencies. This looks like a perfect reason to find it! It looks really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a family pleasing meal! My husband will eat anything that has bacon in it. Thanks for sharing it, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen, good luck with your cookbook!

    scrambledhenfruit, this would be a good use for it. I hope you try it!

    Anna, thanks! It is! Have a good evening!

    Linda, thanks! Yes, it's great for the whole family---Bill really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy that you liked this recipe as much as we did. It will be on the menu on a regular basis here. The ingredients work so well together. I love the touch of sweetness the apple gave the sauce. Thanks for the link, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Pam, this is definitely a comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure does sound like it could be a favorite... and of course, it's got bacon, how could it really be bad??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't cook with canned soups anymore either, but I'm going to make an exception for this recipe. It looks too good to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH wow. That looks like major comfort food. I always feel a bit guilty using canned soup, but this recipe looks so worth it. Look at all those great ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks and sounds delicious! Bookmarking this! Thank you for sharing! Have a lovely and delicious weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhh boy! These sound so awesome!! Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i want to try this too, i looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bacon always gives such a great flavour, it is not that easy to get though here in France!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember using canned soup in recipes many years ago. I've no recollection why or when ! It was a surprise ingredient and worked amazingly well.

    Must say, this sounds rather good.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam