all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Eggs Pipérade


Pipérade is a quintessential Basque dish, originating in the far-most southwest of France, on the border with Spain, below the Atlantic Pyrenees.  It combines the traditional regional ingredients with a little quandary.  Is it a side dish, or a meal on its own?




Absolutely, the recipe holds true to the region, using produce that was available at the time ~ bell peppers, tomatoes and onions.  The addition of garlic, eggs, ham, prosciutto, chicken or seafood makes it a more substantial dish.  If you want a little bite, add a pinch or two of paprika.


This is one of those dishes we all love; quick and easy to prepare, with each cooks’ version being slightly different from the rest; swap what you want.  This is a simple dish that doesn’t require exactness!  It seems to me, it can even be considered Southwestern fare…


Eggs Pipérade

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon olive oil
¾ cup chopped green bell pepper
¾ cup chopped red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon dried chives
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
4 large eggs, beaten lightly
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated

Method:

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add peppers and sauté for 5 minutes, or until tender.
Add garlic and chives, sauté for one minute.
Season with salt and pepper.
Pour tomatoes into mixture and cook a couple of minutes, or until liquid almost evaporates.
Gently stir in eggs.
Cover and cook 3 minutes until set.
Garnish with cheese.
Cut into 4 wedges and serve.


No matter what it is, it’s essentially simply a dish of savory scrambled eggs!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, My Kind of Cooking.  She has Tuesday tips and Friday recipes for you!






Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Piperade is such an elegant (pronounced ay-lay-gaw) name for a frittata. Come to think of it piperade is a cool name for a frittata. We make them here all the time as a way to get leftovers out of the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, you're right on spot! Yup, it's a perfect thing for eggs and about any leftover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new look:) and this dish?stunning! so simple and delicious! love it for shore:)kisses my dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I love your new blog design, Pam! Although I will miss the cherries :) Second, I can't wait to make this dish! Easy yet delish! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coradinha, thank you! This is a good recipe for eggs, about anything can be thrown in. -:) Kisses to you, dear one!

    CCS, thank you very much! I love to eat cherries but was ready for a change here. If you make this dish, I hope you like it as much as I do! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam I look this and feel hungry lol
    Look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gloria, thanks! I feel hungry with about every food blog I visit. :-)

    jose manuel, gracias! Tiene una buena noche!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great new design looks everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lkie your new look and the eggs too.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ckaudia, thanks!

    Mimi, thanks to you also!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam, I love the new look, I was thinking when I first saw it....I know I've been missing on blogging for awhile so I wan't sure how new it was. Yay I'm glad I didn't miss it long.

    I love dishes like this and could easily make it a meal. My fave dishes are ones you can use what you have in the fridge and make it taste super good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks and sounds so incredibly tasty! Savory scrambled eggs are the best :)
    P.s... love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Pam, This looks and sounds wonderful!! My favorite meal is breakfast! Blessings to you dear, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pam, this is one of my favorite dishes. I love eggs and peppers are among my favorite vegetables. I'll have to give your version of this classic a try. It sounds delicious and is quite different from the one I usually use. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pam,The piperade is a very attractive dish...but personally, I can't stomach the bell peppers. On the upbeat note, I did learn a new word..."piperade". Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lyndsey, thanks so much! Yes, I agree, sometimes I don't know what to do with leftovers and then remember eggs. It always makes for a quick meal and filling too. Have a good rest of the week!

    Jenn, I'm with you there and love savory egg dishes, esp. when they have some heat. Thank you!

    Catherine, breakfast is my favorite meal too, any time of the day! Blessings to you also, dear friend! Thanks for the visit!

    Mary, thank you! I really like the bell peppers added to this and the tomatoes also. Next time, I will use fresh tomatoes.

    Dave, I remember you don't care for the peppers, substitue zucchini or your fave veggie! Have a good rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great way of using up bits in the fridge and so tasty. Yum yum. Have a great day Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Diane, you're right! It is!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything in there makes me say "YUM!". I could be all about that, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have five people staying at our house this week. I wish I had read this post earlier, it would be perfect to serve them! I am going to print it out for next time.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam