all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, June 18, 2012

Deviled Eggs



She was often called, "the South’s answer to Julia Child."  Edna Lewis is her name; and, among other things, she knew how to shake up deviled eggs!  






She sliced off a third of the top of each egg and then it had its own little cup.  Then she whipped up her own mayonnaise and combined it with sieved egg yolks, cream, sugar and vinegar.  They are pure deviled eggs with a surprising touch of sweetness.  A great tip of Edna’s:  after the eggs have cooked and as you run cold water over them to stop the cooking, shake the pan as you do so, to crack the eggshells gently all over.


For those of you not familiar with the legendary Edna Lewis, she was a woman who brought a “quiet dignity and elegance” to Southern cooking.  She was a “cook’s cook,” and a chef with plenty of experience.  She often assumed you are knowledgeable in cooking techniques with an educated palate. 


This recipe is from my favorite cookbook of hers ~ The Gift of Southern Cooking by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock.  Peacock lived with and cared for Lewis for more than six years before her death in 2006 at age 89.  Miss Lewis, in turn, taught him about cooking and much more.  Scott says of Edna, she was “a deeply sensitive person and cook” who took Southern food seriously and was proud of her contributions to it while not being affected by the flattery or attention from others.”









In a 1989 interview with the New York Times, Lewis said, "As a child in Virginia, I thought all food tasted delicious. After growing up, I didn't think food tasted the same, so it has been my lifelong effort to try and recapture those good flavors of the past."  She definitely did it with this recipe for deviled eggs!

We’re heading into summer and deviled eggs are a must at a cook-out, picnic, or covered dish dinner! Here’s the recipe:


Deviled Eggs

Ingredients:

1 dozen large eggs
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1½ tablespoons cider vinegar
½ teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 teaspoon chopped chives, chervil or tarragon, if desired
Paprika, if desired

Method:

Put the eggs in a large saucepan, and pour in enough water to cover them by 2 inches.
Add to water 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon of the vinegar.
Bring the water and eggs to a hard boil over high heat.
Immediately remove them from the heat and cover.
Let sit covered for 20 minutes.
Pour off the hot water, and run cool tap water over the eggs to stop the cooking.
Shake the pan as you do so, to crack the eggshells gently all over.
Peel the eggs.
*Slice the top third of the egg off crosswise, and with a spoon remove the yolks from each egg, leaving the egg “cups.”
Using a wooden spoon, rub the eggs through a fine sieve into a mixing bowl.
Blend in the remaining vinegar, sea salt, sugar, and mayonnaise until smooth.
Blend in the heavy cream.
Taste for seasoning, adding more salt, sugar or vinegar if needed.
Add more mayonnaise or cream if mixture is too dry.
Use a teaspoon to fill the egg cups.
Arrange on a plate and sprinkle with chopped herbs or paprika, if desired.

*Pam's note:  I sliced the eggs in half for two deviled egg cups per egg.




I am hooked on these deviled eggs…  YUM!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind Of Cooking.  She has unique tips on Tuesdays and yummy recipes every Friday!





Pin It

37 comments:

Karen said...

For some reason I'm always surprised at how fast a plate of deviled eggs can clear at a party... everyone loves them!

StephenC said...

I don't understand why a person would want to slice off a third of the eggs instead of cutting them in the middle and being able to make two servings per egg instead of one.

Pegasuslegend said...

I love them, actually I never make them enough thanks for reminding me!

Monet said...

Amazing woman, and a wonderful recipe. This is one of those classics...the recipes you make and share again and again. Thank you for bringing it to me!

Pam said...

Karen, yes! Guess it's because they're easy to eat and good too!

Stephen, yes! I actually sliced them in half for 2 cups and forgot to add that until now.

Claudia, we do too and I'm going to make them more often now!

Monet, thanks! Yes, I'm sure it would've been quite an experience to cook with her. Love those classic recipes!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Mmmmm I love devilled eggs but have not had them for ages. Have a great day Diane

jose manuel said...

Se ve estupendos

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

oh i love a good deviled egg! those look delicious! thanks for sharing!

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

oh i love a good deviled egg! those look delicious! thanks for sharing!

Tracy Wood said...

Deviled Eggs are such a treat! Thanks for reminding me about them - they are always the first things to go at a party or potluck. Yours look great!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Edna looks adorable ... and these eggs look amazing.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I am the "Queen of Deviled Eggs" in my family! LOL!!! I've done several posting on deviled eggs and I'll have to give yours a try! The look divine!

I have seen this cookbook and have thought about purchasing it - do you recommend it?

Mary

scrambledhenfruit said...

These look so good...I love deviled eggs, and considering the rate that they disappear at picnics, so does everyone else. :)

Lynda said...

Who doesn't like a good deviled egg? Yours look delicious and they are a perfect summer food.

StephenC said...

Pam, I should have known to trust you to do the sensible thing. What do you suppose what's her name did with those little egg slices?

Pam said...

Diane, hope you try these then! You have a great week!

jose manuel, gracias! Facil y bien.

glutenfreehappytummy, thanks so much! Me too!

Tracy, yes. They always disappear fast since most people like them.

Glenda, yes, I'm sure she was and probably full of good stories also.

Mary, woo hoo! I'd love to have one of yours!! Yes, I would definitely recommend this cookbook. It is truly southern cooking; filled with great non-fussy recipes for simple dishes and gorgeous photos. They tell stories at the beginning of the chapters for some interesting reading. I thought it was a great purchase and I've really enjoyed it and want to try many more recipes!

scrambledhenfruit, you're right! It's a simple dish that I don't make often but it's devoured quickly.

Lynda, thanks! That's true! I seldom prepare them in the winter now that I think about it.

Stephen, thanks! I don't have a clue and wondered about that myself!

Shug said...

Hi Pam...
You are so right...deviled eggs are a must for this time of the year. We have a granddaughter that truly believes a meal is not complete if it doesn't consist of deviled eggs...She loves them..
I must say, I'm kinda fond of em' myself...thanks for sharing.

Erica said...

I love devil eggs! What a great variation!

Ellen B Cookery said...

Those are so pretty and I'm sure they're ever so tasty. Thank you for your friendship.

David said...

Pam, We love deviled eggs! It's something that my better half gets requests for when we take dished to parties. She uses capers in hers and I love them! (With Tabasco sprinkled on mine of course!) Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Thanks for the book review and recipe, Pam! I am always experimenting with deviled eggs. I add bacon or green chile or anything else that pops in my head. But when it comes to a big family dinner, only my Mom's deviled eggs will do. If I used another recipe my family my riot!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is something I've always loved. Your deviled eggs look mighty scrumptious.

Cheers,

Rosa

From the Kitchen said...

I was fortunate enough to know Edna Lewis personally when she was the executive chef at Middleton Plantation. She was always ready to share her knowledge of food and cooking in a quiet and unassuming way. Her deviled eggs are very similar to those of my Virginia mother and grandmother--and, my favorites.

Best,
Bonnie

Jenn said...

A great little tribute to Edna! I could eat my weight in deviled eggs!!

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

They look so good, especially with the fresh herbs. Now I really want some deviled eggs.

Mary said...

This is a wonderful recipe and you've done Miss Edna proud. Your plate looks inviting and the recipe is one that everyone should have on hand for summer barbecues. Have a wonderful evening. Blessings...Mary

kitchen flavours said...

This looks so delicious! Will be bookmarking this! I have heard of Edna Lewis and thought of getting the book at one time!
Thank you for sharing and have a lovely day!

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Pam, I adore Edna Lewis. I don't have this book yet but I do love her book In Pursuit of Flavor. I did a post about her for her birthday in April 2010. (let me know if you want to see the link:) I must make these devilled eggs for sure!!!

Thank you so much for sharing...

Gloria said...

Ah Pam Ilove devil eggd and msny times I dont make what great idea!!:)

hbs1991 said...

Hi Pam,
Great recipe and I am delighted to see someone else using cider vinegar in deviled eggs something I grew up with and when I tasted eggs without, they are always flat tasting.
I am so glad to see this recipe!!

laurie said...

This looks like a tasty recipe!

Becky said...

Pam,
Deviled eggs are a staple at summer picnics and BBQ for sure, and I love your version. I'll be making these soon. Have a great weekend.

Pam said...

Shug, funny how something so simple is sooo good!

Ellen, thanks and right back to you!

Dave, great suggestion with the capers! I will be trying that soon. Bet those are some great deviled eggs!

Linda, I know what you mean with the family, but I bet mine would like the bacon and I'll have to try it. Thanks!

Rosa, thank you! We love deviled eggs here!

Bonnie, you are the lucky one I would've loved to meet her and watch her cook and talk about it!

Jenn, great! I probably could too!

Carol, just thinking about them makes me want to have one.

Mary, thanks! Summer is a wonderful thing with barbecues and all the great food!

kitchen flavours, I hope you check the cookbook out---it's just good simple recipes!

louise, I would love to see your post! I do not have that cookbook and must check it out. Thanks!

Gloria, there are so many versions, but this is about my fave!

hbs, thanks! The vinegar always helps!

laurie, thank you! It is!

Becky, they're a staple here too and I will be making some more this weekend.

Chris said...

My boys can kill a plate of these in mere minutes!

katiez said...

We love deviled eggs! And this is a great recipe - I'll try it next time. The (universal) problem, of course is we eat too many LOL

Donna Young said...

Hi Pam,
Thank you for posting this recipe by Ms. Edna Lewis. I had the the great pleasure of having dinner at a restaurant where she was the chef, in Brooklyn, NY. Dinner was as you would expect, delicious, but the STAR of the night was Ms. Edna's SCRUMPTIOUS blackberry pie! It really was outstanding with the flakiest pie crust and the juiciest berries, tart and sweet! I bought her book, In Pursuit of Flavor and she graciously autographed it for me. I remember the night and the pie so fondly. A lovely woman and talented chef.

Lyndsey said...

Pam, I do love all the tibits of info that you bring to your posts. Thanks for intrducing me to Ms Edna. I also love finding good deviled egg recipes.