all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Crispy Creole Onion Rings



From her beguiling "Hey y'all" to her grits, the queen of Southern cuisine captivated me many years ago, when I first saw her cooking on the Food Network ~ and then this happened.  I’m talking about Paula Deen.  I particularly like her now, after making her lightened up version of a delectable dish.





Onion rings are lip-smacking good; but to me, that means deep-fried in a vat of hot oil, until crispy and golden.  When trying to imagine this recipe, with raw onion rings swished through egg whites, then coated with seasoned panko bread crumbs and baked, I was skeptical they would be fit to eat.

It’s a surprising recipe ~ delicious onion rings, without all the fat!  Coated with Creole seasoning, they have great flavor, and they’re crispy too, thanks to crunchy panko!   I have visions of this being repeated many times!



Crispy Creole Onion Rings

Ingredients:

¼ cup flour
2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
2 large egg whites
2 cups panko bread crumbs
2 large sweet onions, sliced and separated into ½” -thick rings

Method:

Heat oven to 450 degrees
Coat 2 rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray.
Whisk together flour and 1 teaspoon of the seasoning in small bowl.
Lightly beat egg whites in another small bowl.
In a third small bowl, combine panko and remaining 1 teaspoon seasoning.
Dredge onion rings in flour mixture, gently shaking off excess.
Dip in egg whites, letting excess drip off.
Dredge in panko mixture to coat, and place on prepared pans.
Coat onion rings lightly with cooking spray.
Bake 6 minutes.
Turn onion rings and bake until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes longer.
Serve immediately.


Ummmm, mmm!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 






24 comments:

Lyndsey said...

All right Pam!! Yes, a baked crispy onion ring!! You go girl!! Thanks for finding this. I have never thought to make onion rings before because I don't deep fry, but I love a baked veggie. I don't know why I haven't thought of this, I bake my chicken tenders.

What a beatiful photo to display your beautiful onion rings.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

My mother used to make the most amazing coated onion rings. I have just not got her knack; everything falls off and I only have the onion remaining :(( Diane

Becki's Whole Life said...

I love Paula Deen, too. My 6 year old loves to watch her show with me. She loves Ms. Paula:-). These sound awesome and a great way to have some comfort food without the guilt. The creole seasoning and panko sounds awesome!

Gloria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gloria said...

look amazing Pam! Im sure my kids would love these!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I am going to make these this weekend! My son will be home for Father's Day and they will go great with the steaks we are grilling.

Pam said...

Lyndsey, thank you! I know what you mean, I never thought about baking them either and I was glad to find this recipe! Have a good day!!!

Diane, I know---that is so frustrating to have happen. I thought the coating might fall off with these, but they held up pretty good.

Becki, your little girl knows what's good! Paula has a great perky personality and is fun to watch, not to mention all the good food!

Gloria, yes! I think kids would definitely go for this.

Linda, great! I'm sure you're looking forward to the weekend!

JennyLynn said...

There is nothing tastier to me than great homemade onion rings. Gotta give this recipe a try.

Hmmm, they look so good!

Have a Happy Day!

Ginny said...

Hi Pam, thanks for visiting my blog! These onion rings look delicious! They remind me of the ones at Red Robin, have you ever been there? They are the best! What is even better about these is they are baked, I love that!!!! I enjoy Paula Dean, too. And I think people need to give her a break about the diabetes. It was her own personal trial to choose whether to tell people or not.

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

I can't wait to try this, Pam! My Hubs loves onion rings and I think he will be happy with this version. Thank you for sharing!

David said...

Pam, I'm not into onion rings...but these are pretty and my wife would love them! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Lynda said...

How pwerfect! Thanks for posting this Pam. The one time I tried making onion rings at home I had a huge greasy mess to clean up. The baked rings will be so much better, and healthier too. Can't wait to try them.

Catherine said...

Dear Pam, These do look and so delicious!! I would love them.
Thank you for the visit Pam. I look forward to them. Blessings, Catherine

SerenaB said...

Sounds delicious! I hate deep frying also so these sounds like a great alternative! Have a fantastic week!

Pegasuslegend said...

IF I could eat onions this looks great! my kids would love them!

~~louise~~ said...

ooo, la,la! I love Onion Rings and these sound delicious. I'm delighted they are the "lighter" version too!!! (that just means I can eat tons!)

Thanks for sharing, Pam...

Jenn said...

I do love a good onion ring... and these look really really good!!

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

We love onion rings, but I very seldom deep fry anything any more and we haven't had them homemade in ages. Your baked version looks delicious, and crispy, Pam.

JG said...

I like that Egg Whites are used. Sounds yummy!
~Judy

Karen said...

Are you sure this is a PD recipe?? No butter? Ha! They look so good and crunchy, I might have to give these a try!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I'm happy that I stopped by today and found this recipe. A perfect Father's Day treat.

Chris said...

Creole onion rings just sounds so right!

Chaya said...

They do look crispy which is the appeal to me. Thanks for the inspiration. I must make these.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

These look great! Looks like the coating stuck really well. Thanks!