all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mashed Cauliflower w/Garlic Herb Cheese


If you’re a carb watcher, here’s a great alternative to mashed potatoes!




We like cauliflower and eat it fairly often.  A friend gave me this recipe a while back, and I just got around to making it recently.  You know ~ so many recipes, so little time…


Now that I’ve made it, and know how delicious it is, it will be on our dinner table often.  The low calorie cheese is a perfect blend, and the caraway seeds add a distinctly sweet but tangy flavor. If you don’t care for caraway seeds, substitute dill, or omit it altogether.    This is our new favorite side dish now!



Mashed Cauliflower w/Garlic Herb Cheese

Ingredients:

4 cups cauliflower, fresh or frozen
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
½ teaspoon garlic, minced
½ teaspoon caraway seed
4 ounce package Alouette Light Garlic & Herb Cheese
½ teaspoon chopped chives, for garnish (I forgot)

Method:

Steam cauliflower until very tender.
Add remaining ingredients, except chives.
Mash with a potato masher.
Sprinkle chives over top for garnish and serve.



This was a hit for us and is “waist-friendly” too!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips on Tuesday’s and good and easy recipes every Friday!






Pin It

19 comments:

jose manuel said...

Que buen plato

Pegasuslegend said...

sounds like a winner to me!

Shug said...

I have heard cauliflower mashed pot.
Just have never tried them...I love cauliflower and I love creamed potatoes, so I almost positive this would be a winner recipe for me...
Gonna try it.

Jeannie said...

I should make this too, been eating too much fatty food! Sounds delicious and so easy, only thing is our cheeses here don't come cheap:S

Julie said...

I love these! I use cream cheese. Delicious mashed potato replacement.

Becki's Whole Life said...

Sounds great and a good alternative to mashed potatoes! Plus caraway seeds are supposed to be very good for you...can't remember why, but I think Dr. Oz said so:-).

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I have been trying to eat less carbs. This looks great.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love this! My family is less enthused which is why I mix it with SOME real potato, it's less noticeable that way. I personally would just love it this way! Love the caraway seed in it, sounds good!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

That sounds like something we would really like. Retirement has not helped Nigel's waist so this might :) Diane

Jenn said...

I've tried mashed cauliflower before.. it was pretty good... your version sounds even better! Love the cheese you used.

My Little Space said...

Mashed cauliflower sounds as wonderful. Something I wanted to try long long time ago.
Enjoy & have a good day.
Kristy

Carol at Serendipity said...

Pam,

Sounds like another one of your "winner" recipes. I shall try this next weekend!

Carol

Pam said...

jose, gracias! Que tengas un buen dia!

Claudia, thanks! Cauliflower is great!

Shug, if you try it, I hope you will be surprised with how good it is, just like I was.

Jeannie, I know what you mean. This is great to help cut back.

Julie, cream cheese sounds great and I will try that one of these days.

Becki, Dr. Oz is full of info and I will have to check on the caraway. The taste of the seeds is so good.

Glenda, this will work for you, then!

Debbi, yeah! I doubt if kids would go for this since they love mashed potatoes so much. Hope you try this!

Diane, retirement has ruined a lot of waistlines!!! lol

Jenn, it's something different that isn't calorie laden.

Kristy, I hope you make this and like it!

Carol, thank you! Enjoy!!!

Amoridoce by coradinha said...

Hi my Dear Pam, im so glad that you haven't troble this time to comment:) i really love your comment:) thank you so much! and this dish look amazing! and healthy as well!:) many kisses for you and have a fabulous weekend!:)

Karen said...

I've mashed cauli before, so I know how good this is :)

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

I think it's time for me to try this. If Pam says it's good - it has to be! Thank you for sharing :)

Big Dude said...

I think the cheese and carraway would make it delicious

kitchen flavours said...

Sounds good! I love cauliflower, just made some tart with it, have not tried it mashed before! I know that I would love this!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Another great recipe! Wonderful blend of flavors!