all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lemony Parmesan Broccoli


Whenever Aunt Lucy was at my house for dinner, I was sure to serve a broccoli dish.  If I didn’t serve a dark green veggie, especially broccoli, I would’ve heard, “Green veggies, Pam, green!”  With Dad’s gardens, there was an abundance of fresh vegetables when I was growing up, and Dad was also a firm believer in the power of fresh vegetables.




Here’s why broccoli on your dinner table is healthy and beneficial for you and your family: 


Broccoli provides a high amount of vitamin C, which aids iron absorption in the body, prevents the development of cataracts, and also eases the symptoms of the common cold.
 
The potassium in broccoli aids those battling high blood pressure, while a large amount of calcium helps combat osteoporosis.

The vegetable is also fiber-rich, which enhances the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, as well as aims to reduce blood cholesterol levels.

Broccoli contains glucoraphanin, which with the body processes into the anti-cancer compound sulforaphane. This compound rids the body H. pylori, a bacterium found to highly increase the risk of gastric cancer. Furthermore, broccoli contains indole-3-carbinol, a powerful antioxidant compound and anti-carcinogen found to not only hinder the growth of breast, cervical and prostate cancer, but also boosts liver function.

Additionally, the health benefits of broccoli have been linked to preventing and controlling the following medical concerns: Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, calcium deficiencies, stomach and colon cancer, malignant tumors, lung cancer, heart disease, arthritis, and even the aging process.

Broccoli is rich in skin vitamins that gives glow and shine to your skin and hair. It also helps repair skin damage and revives skin tissues so you can have smooth skin all over.

I’ve always liked broccoli, whether raw, steamed, boiled or stir-fried.  This recipe is simple, but big on taste with the tang of lemon and the nutty flavor of Parmesan to compliment the broccoli.  Aunt Lucy was right all those years ago ~ broccoli is probably one of the healthiest foods in the world and it’s packed with flavor too!  So, eat your broccoli!!!




Lemony Parmesan Broccoli

Ingredients:

12 ounces broccoli florets (5 cups raw)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons shaved fresh Parmesan

Method:

Boil broccoli in salted water until crisp-tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Place in a large bowl.
Pour olive oil into a small skillet over medium-high heat.
Add shallot and garlic; cook 2 minutes.
Add oil mixture, rind, juice and salt and pepper to broccoli; toss well.
Sprinkle broccoli with cheese.


ENJOY!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips on Tuesday’s and good and easy recipes every Friday!






Pin It

20 comments:

Carol at Serendipity said...

so true! I love it and just wish I could get husband on board.

Susan said...

You have just reminded me that we do not eat this enough.

Lyndsey said...

We love broccoli at our house too, and often just eat it plain steamed. Now that my daughter eats more flavor on her veggies I can try it different ways like this. My mom used to make a mock Hollandaise sauce when we were kids using mayo and lemon juice. That was the only way we would eat it back then!

Rita said...

We have broccoli all the time at our house; thanks for a new recipe to prepare them.
Rita

Becki's Whole Life said...

Think I could eat broccoli every day. This is a great recipe - lemon is such a great flavor and the parm and garlic just make it better!

Lynda said...

Oh yes, I will try this-we eat a lot of broccoli at out house also. It is one of our favorite veggies, so I'm always ready to try it prepared a new way.

From the Kitchen said...

My mother always insisted on green on the plate. I'm not sure if it was for health or good looks!! We are broccoli eaters in this house and your recipe looks and sounds delicious.

Best,
Bonnie

Pegasuslegend said...

I love informative posts like this! This would have been a great guest post on Blogsgotheart I love this one Pam nice job!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

My husband will only eat broccoli when it is cooked in some way. He hates it raw. I am going to make this recipe this week. I will let you know what he thought of it.

Pam said...

Carol, I understand. Maybe this recipe would work. tee hee!

Susan, great! We really like it and I think the lemon, and the garlic sure helps!

Lyndsey, then I bet your daughter would like this! My mom usually just steamed it and added salt and pepper, so I was happy to discover new ways to cook it.

Rita, great! I hope you try it this way and like it!

Becki, you're right on spot! A little garlic never hurt anything!

Lynda, that's wonderful! I'm so happy to hear that so many of you like broccoli too!

Bonnie, you might have a point there! The green always adds great color to the plate as well as tasting delicious.

Claudia, thanks! I lost my blogroll a while back and will be adding your other blog back to it. Thanks!

Linda, way to go! I hope Stan likes this, let me know!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

What a great way to enjoy our greens.

Pam said...

Glenda, thank you! I love the flavors in this veggie dish!

kitchen flavours said...

I love broccoli, I could eat it everyday! Lemon and Parmesan sounds delicious!

Jenn said...

I prefer my broccoli raw.. I don't know what it is about cooking it that makes me dislike it so, but I could eat it non-stop raw. Then again, I've not had broccoli this way before... sounds delicious!

Marguerite said...

I'm a broccoli lover, too, and eat it almost every day! Love this and I'll definitely be trying it soon. Thanks for the great recipe!

David said...

Pam, We printed out this recipe. It will help me to ensure that my wife eats her green veggies! Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

JG said...

This sounds sooo goood! We enjoy this green veggie very often at dinner. Yum!
~Judy

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

We eat a lot of stir- fried broccoli. Will have to try your recipe next time.

David said...

Hi Pam,

I was just visiting pamsmidwestkitchenkorner.blogspot.com.

My name is David and work part time online in marketing. One of my websites is on reducing high blood pressure. I noticed that you have some recipes that can help reduce high blood pressure levels.

My purpose of this email is to look at the consideration of working together.

What are your thoughts? Would you be open for discussing?

Just reply back with a yes...or if your plates full right now, no worries, just let me know.

Thanks for listening,
David

ps You have some insightful advice in your articles...If it would help we could write a few articles to put on your site?

Jeannie said...

I love broccoli too and most times I do a simple stir fry with it. Once I had this broccoli salad in a restaurant and it was superb! Raisins were added to give the salad a touch of sweetness which I love!