Lemony Parmesan Broccoli
Whenever Aunt Lucy was at my house for dinner, I was sure to serve a broccoli dish. If I didn’t serve a dark green veggie, especially broccoli, I would’ve heard, “Green veggies, Pam, green!” With Dad’s gardens, there was an abundance of fresh vegetables when I was growing up, and Dad was also a firm believer in the power of fresh vegetables.
Here’s why broccoli on your dinner table is healthy and beneficial for you and your family:
- Broccoli provides a high amount of vitamin C, which aids iron absorption in the body, prevents the development of cataracts, and also eases the symptoms of the common cold.
- The potassium in broccoli aids those battling high blood pressure, while a large amount of calcium helps combat osteoporosis.
- The vegetable is also fiber-rich, which enhances the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, as well as aims to reduce blood cholesterol levels.
- Broccoli contains glucoraphanin, which with the body processes into the anti-cancer compound sulforaphane. This compound rids the body H. pylori, a bacterium found to highly increase the risk of gastric cancer. Furthermore, broccoli contains indole-3-carbinol, a powerful antioxidant compound and anti-carcinogen found to not only hinder the growth of breast, cervical and prostate cancer, but also boosts liver function.
- Additionally, the health benefits of broccoli have been linked to preventing and controlling the following medical concerns: Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, calcium deficiencies, stomach and colon cancer, malignant tumors, lung cancer, heart disease, arthritis, and even the aging process.
- Broccoli is rich in skin vitamins that gives glow and shine to your skin and hair. It also helps repair skin damage and revives skin tissues so you can have smooth skin all over.
I’ve always liked broccoli, whether raw, steamed, boiled or stir-fried. This recipe is simple, but big on taste with the tang of lemon and the nutty flavor of Parmesan to compliment the broccoli. Aunt Lucy was right all those years ago ~ broccoli is probably one of the healthiest foods in the world and it’s packed with flavor too! So, eat your broccoli!!!
Lemony Parmesan Broccoli
12 ounces broccoli florets (5 cups raw)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons shaved fresh Parmesan
Boil broccoli in salted water until crisp-tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Place in a large bowl.
Pour olive oil into a small skillet over medium-high heat.
Add shallot and garlic; cook 2 minutes.
Add oil mixture, rind, juice and salt and pepper to broccoli; toss well.
Sprinkle broccoli with cheese.
Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips on Tuesday’s and good and easy recipes every Friday!