all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Black Bottoms






Vinegar in cupcakes ~~~ you say, why?


Baking soda makes cupcakes rise; however, it only starts to work when it comes in contact with an acidic ingredient, such as buttermilk, lemon juice or vinegar.  Baking soda reacts with acidic ingredients to make bubbles that help the cake to rise.  It gives these cupcakes a deep flavor and you will not notice a hint of vinegar after they are baked.  






The sinful top of these cupcakes is so mouthwatering delicious that I’d actually just like to forget about the bottoms.  These little gems are made of a creamy cheesecake top layer filled with chocolate chips and a bottom chocolate cake-like layer ~ nice and rich and gooey when baked together!  



Half covered with that great top


They lack frosting which makes them great to carry since they won’t stick to anything and become messy.  Black bottoms are rich, moist and cheesy, what could taste better in a cupcake?




Black Bottoms

Ingredients for the cream cheese topping:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
1 large egg
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup mini-chocolate chips

Ingredients for the cupcake bottom:
1½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup water
½ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vinegar          
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Method:

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Line mini-muffin tins with paper liners.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, egg, 1/3 cup of the sugar and ¼ teaspoon of salt in a large bowl until creamy.
Stir in chocolate chips.

In a second large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, remaining cup of sugar and ½ teaspoon salt.  Add the oil, vinegar, vanilla and 1 cup water, and mix until fully incorporated.

Spoon enough of the chocolate batter into each cup so that they are filled halfway (about 2 level teaspoons each).  Top each with a rounded teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture, gently spreading it over the chocolate.

Bake until the cupcakes are puffed and barely golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 5 dozen


 They are over-the-top and bottom delicious!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips on Tuesday’s and good and easy recipes every Friday!






Pin It

24 comments:

  1. They look delicious. And a chemistry lesson too. A win win situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, now this is my kind of cupcake, I like that topping! I have some black sugar that I want to experiment with, I wonder how it would taste in these! Great recipe Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photo's are inviting ! nice job! I love the pan of cupcakes now I am wishing for a dozen or two lol !!!! YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you pam for sharing this lovely recipe:) this cupcake looks amazing and fluffy. kisses and blessings for you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam.
    I love your cupcakes,and it's amazing that adding vinegar to cupcakes works, but it does, and they taste delicious. I have baked cupcakes with vinegar before. I like the cream cheese topping, no frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did somebody say cheesecake and chocolate? :) These look fabulous, Pam! I wish I had one right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious! I'll be trying them once I get done with my diet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never can remember what it takes for either soda or powder to react. I guess I won't be making up any of my *own* cupcake recipes anytime, soon! These little cupcakes look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. from the title, I thought this might be a tennis shoe post. The cup cakes sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, the "black bottoms" I get are when I BURN muffins! Love your smell of cooking quote.
    Look at all of your followers! You go, girl! xo, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have really been trying to figure out a good recipe for cupcakes. there is this cupcake shop in the Dallas area, and oh my goodness...they make the best cupcakes ever. I just can not figure it out..Their cake is a little bit heavier than a normal cupcake...
    gonna try your recipe, because they look so YUMMY>>>

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, I haven't had a black bottom in ages.. I think since I left Nebraska actually. Thanks for posting this recipe.. I can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. CC, lol! It's a 2 for 1 kind of day!

    Lyndsey, I bet black sugar could be used in this fine. The sugar sounds pretty intriguing to me and I want to try it. Have a good day!

    Claudia, thanks so much and I will be learning more about photos soon! I love cupcakes because of the size, not a big slice of cake.

    amoridoci, thanks! The topping is wonderful.

    Becky, yes! Sometimes, cooking is like a chemistry project, and it all works out just fine. These cupcakes are proof!

    jose manuel, gracias! Si, de lujo!

    CCS, wish I could give you one now! Cheesecake and chocolate, a perfect marriage!

    sara, I hear you with the diet. Good luck with it!

    Karen, I always get them confused also. That's why with baking, I usually stick to a recipe. lol!

    Madge, thank you! They really are!

    Larry, you just never know, right?

    Cheryl, thanks! lol! I've had your kind of "black bottoms" too and these are much better! It's good to see you here, thanks for stopping by! Hugs...

    Shug, I can imagine how great that cupcake shop is. I wonder if they are more of a pound cake batter. I'm a little happy and a little sad that we don't have a shop like that here in town.

    Jenn, great! They must be a midwest thing??? Have a great weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Y'know, my mom would use vinegar in chocolate cake...had forgotten that. YUM, is the only word I can come up with when I look at the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to make these! I have a note book with just your recipes in it and it is getting very full!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woohoo!!! I wanna black bottom! Heeehehehe!

    Oh they look delicious. I have a chocolate cake recipe that uses vinegar and it's wonderfully moist.

    Thanks for this recipe...I see I'm gonna have to extend my walks, yoga...... :o)

    God bless and have a fantastic weekend dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pam, these look absolutely delicious.
    I always use vinegar when a recipe calls for buttermilk..which I rarely have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are right up my alley. When I was young, I would beg my mother not to frost a cake, I preferred it without. Thanks for the vinegar tip Pam.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Area these cupcakes ever pretty. I love to learn something new. I often add vinegar to my milk to replace buttermilk.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look fantastic. yum yum. Hope all well over there. Have a great Sunday. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm thinking about making these for a picnic this weekend, they look and sound incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhhh, these look sinful!!! And they look like something I'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam