all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, April 23, 2012

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy, Lightened Up



This is kind of like the old diner dishes, remember them?  Nothing fancy --- just good plain food, served on those white plates with the black ring around the rim. 


I had a pound of ground sirloin, and wanted to make something besides regular ground beef patties, that wasn’t calorie laden.   I saw this recipe for Salisbury steak in my Cooking Light cookbook ~ it made me feel good about making the meat as it comes in at less than 200 calories per serving.  That’s great and it tasted great too!  





The recipe called for cremini mushrooms ~ I had button mushrooms on hand and used them.  Sometimes, I like the high gloss of Kitchen Bouquet (“tsk, tsk!”) added to a dish such as this.  Besides the gloss, it also gives the gravy a deep color and steps-up the flavor a tad.  An added teaspoon of dry mustard provides a little zing. And, for a little additional color, there’s chopped parsley.  Pick and choose what you want in it. 


This is a great comfort food dish for these chilly days that I hope you will cook and enjoy!



Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Adapted

Ingredients:

1/3 cup grated onion, divided
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground sirloin
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon butter
8 ounces button, mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup dry red wine
1¼ cups fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet, optional
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Chopped parsley for garnish, if desired

Method:

Combine ¼ cup onion, salt, pepper, garlic and beef.
Shape into 4 oval patties.
Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray.
Add patties.
Cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until browned.
Melt butter in pan.
Add mushrooms and sauté for 4 minutes.
Stir in wine, Kitchen Bouquet, dry mustard and remaining onion; cook for 2 minutes.
Combine broth and flour, add to pan and bring to a boil.
Cook 5 minutes or until thick.
Add patties and vinegar to pan, cook for 2 minutes.
Serve with your favorite potatoes, or egg noodles, and a vegetable on the side.

Bon Appetite!


Tell me ~ did you "tsk, tsk" at the Kitchen Bouquet?



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking, for great tips on Tuesday’s and good and easy recipes every Friday! 







18 comments:

Becky said...

Pam,
I love the lightened version of this "Oldie but a Goodie" recipe. I'll have to make this one soon

Pam said...

Becky, thanks! It's pretty good!

jose manuel said...

Delicioso este plato

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

No Tsk Tsking at the Kitchen Bouquet here, sometimes it's what's needed to make things taste good :) Beef flavors are hard to develop in the short term so sometimes a little bouquet does the trick :) I've been thinking about making salisbury steak recently, thanks for posting this one!

Nezzy said...

Oh Miss Pam, this takes me back to my Mama's kitchen at my childhood farm.

This was one of Mom's favorite recipes always served with corn and 'smashed' taders! Heeehehehe!

God bless ya and have yourself an awesome week sweetie!!! :o)

Big Dude said...

Comfort food at it's best Pam - the gravy looks so rich and creamy and we like a little Kitcen Bouquet in ours as well.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

We don't often but steak because of the price but this sounds delicious. Diane

laurie said...

Looks perfect! I like the idea of a lighter version, too.

Gloria said...

lok nice Pam:)

Reeni said...

Salisbury steak is one of my favorites! Your lightened up version sounds better than any diners!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Very creative, Pam! I am adding this tom our menu for next week. Thanks!

Jenn said...

I so wish that the salisbury steak I have had in the past looked this good! You may just have changed my mind on the dish, that's for sure!

Pam said...

jose manuel, gracias!

Andrea, I'm with you all the on the KB. Sometimes, that's exactly what's needed.

Nezzy, I'm glad this brought back good memories for you!

Larry, I'm glad to hear that you use the KB as well.

Diane, I know what you mean!

laurie, yes, and you could never tell it's low calorie when you eat it.

Gloria, thank you!

Reeni, thanks! This is good and I'm happy you think so.

Linda, thanks. It's worth a try!

Jenn, it's not something I make often, but it's good!

Rita said...

One of our favourite meals and you made it healthier. I served up your
Chicken Pizzaiola with Capers; a big hit and a keeper. Thanks Pam.
Rita

Jenn Kendall said...

a classic but delicious dish, looks amazing!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

200 calories? Wow - it looks great and sounds delicious!

momto8 said...

oh yum!! looks and sounds so delicious..and I love the calorie count!! thanks.
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

Chris said...

No tsk tsk here. I have a bottle of it and also have a bottle of liquid smoke.