all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Mushroom Casserole and Rocco’s Penne with White Pesto

I’ve liked mustard from the very beginning, when I watched my grandfather slather a slice of bread or roll with mustard (remember, Vicki, Melody?) at most meals.  I’m a full-fledged mustard addict now and understand perfectly his love for it.  

My refrigerator has one whole shelf devoted to various mustards, and proudly taking up space there are the 3 bottles I won recently from Debbi, @DebbiDoes Dinner… Healthy and Low Calorie.  If you haven’t visited Debbi’s blog, you’re in for some great recipes!  The majority of them are low calorie, packed with good flavors, and easy to make. 

Debbi participated in the “Skinny Mama Mustard Contest” with her Spaghetti Squash Vegetable Gratin with Tarragon Lemon Mustard Sauce.  The kind folks at Saucy Mama gave Debbi 3 bottles of mustard for her own giveaway and I was the lucky recipient!  

I knew Saucy Mama’s Garlic Mustard would be perfect in a mushroom casserole I make and have posted.   This is a delicious mushroom recipe for anyone who is wild about mushrooms.  It is a saucy baked dish that combines mushrooms with sour cream and mustard.  It’s a simple side dish that will have your family and guests taking a second helping. It’s just as good (better?) left over!

This is way at the top, on my list of favorite side dishes!!!


Blurry but GOOD!



You can see the 3 varieties of mustard in this photo:



Here’s the recipe:

Tangy Mushroom Casserole

Ingredients:

2 pounds fresh button mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup butter, softened
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Saucy Mama’s Garlic Mustard
¼ teaspoon McCormick’s Seasoned Pepper
1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup chopped onion


Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel and slice.   Cream butter, flour, salt, pepper, and mustard.  Add sour cream, parsley and onion. Stir well.

Place half the mushrooms in greased 2 qt. dish.  Top with half of the sour cream mixture, spread evenly.  Repeat layers.

Bake 325 degrees for 1 hour or till well heated and golden.
Allow it to set for 5-10 minutes before serving.
6-8 servings


And…

Not only did I win the mustard; Debbi also gave away a copy of Rocco’s Italian American cookbook.  I’ve always like Rocco Dipirito’s recipes.  He is an American chef in New York City, a cookbook author, celebrity chef and owns a couple of restaurants there.  His mother, Nicolina, is with him along the way, cooking and advising.  I follow Rocco’s recipes weekly in the Chicago Tribune.


Rocco & Mama


Rocco’s Italian American cookbook is packed with recipes there were passed on through the generations in his family, in versions specially adapted for today’s home kitchen.  All the recipes in the cookbook have fewer than 10 ingredients and the first one I made was Penne with White Pesto.  I love penne pasta and the white pesto intrigued me because it is packed with walnuts.  It’s delicious and easy too!




Penne with White Pesto

Ingredients:

½ cup walnuts
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound penne pasta
¼ cup ricotta cheese

Method:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Put a big pot of water over high flame.
Add a handful of salt when it begins to simmer.
Toss the walnuts in a bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt.
Spread them out on a baking sheet and toast in oven for about 10 minutes.
Remove pan and set walnuts aside to cool.
Cook the penne till al dente.
Drain well, retaining ½ cup or so of the cooking water.
Chop the nuts and mix them with the ricotta, remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and a pinch of salt.
Toss the pasta with the pesto, adding a splash of water if it seems too thick.
It should be thick and creamy.

It is thick and creamy and delicious!

Thanks so much Debbi ~ I’ll enjoy it all!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes.






Pin It

29 comments:

Salsa Verde said...

Hi Pam,
What a delicious and fabulous recipe. Loved it!!
Cheers,
Lia.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Google has been driving me nuts for days!!!!!

Congratulations on the wins you lucky lady. Love that Penne recipe. Take care Diane

Susan said...

Nice wins and great cooking going on!!!!

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

Congrats on the win, lovely gifts. The mushroom casserole looks amazing, we love mushrooms.

jose manuel said...

Una delicia de plato.

Saludos

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Super yum on the mushroom cassrole and the penne! I'm glad you were able to put them all to use! You make such awesome recipes, you deserve it! Keep cooking and I'll keep making your recipes! :-)

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Oh boy, my mouth is watering! I don't know which for . . . the mushroom casserole or the delicious pasta dish! Guess I'll have to make both! LOL!!! Thanks for sharing two great recipes!

Mary

Pam said...

Lia, thank you!

Diane, I know what you mean!

Susan, yes, I liked those wins!

Carol, the mushrooms are out of this world good!

jose manuel, gracias!

Debbi, thanks again!

Mary, the pasta is really good, nice and creamy and the mushrooms are too!

Pegasuslegend said...

Great flavors in this pasta dish just wonderful!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Both the mushroom casserole and penne dish sound wonderful! Both look big, earthy and delicious.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

This is a great recipe for our daughter ... who is allergic to tomatoes and most pasta recipes have tomatoes.

Amoridoce by coradinha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amoridoce by coradinha said...

Oh my God Pam! i really love both recipes! im like you and i love mustard and mushrooms:) what a stunning dish of pasta too! thank you so much for sharing this wonderfull recipes!:) kisses and have a nice night:) see you soon

Penny said...

My husband will thank you for the mushroom recipe. He loves them. I love the penne pasta recipe too.

Jenn said...

I adore mustard too... it's not a sandwich unless it's got mustard on it :)
Both recipes look and sound delicious! I wish Chris liked mushrooms, I don't think I could sneak this casserole on him!! lol

Pam said...

Claudia, thanks!

Susan, yes with the earthiness of the mushrooms. And penne is always good.

Glenda, great! It's really delicious combined with walnuts.

Amoridoce by coradinha, thanks so much!

Penny, I hope you really like the mushrooms as much as we do, if you make the dish!

Jenn, nope---I don't think I'd serve the mushroom dish to someone who doesn't really like mushrooms! lol

Tina Bk said...

Mustard is a pretty awesome condiment to have on hand and you were lucky to win the giveaway. There is no limit to all the things you can flavor up with that! Both of these dishes look amazing. I really like the blend of mushrooms and mustard-yum! Also, I have never had a white pesto, so that one looks like a great one to try also. Have a nice weekend!

Monet said...

I'm a mustard addict too! But I didn't discover it until college. Now I can't go a day without some Dijon! This all looks so delicious. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, my friend!

David said...

Pam, My better half would love this casserole! However, I just don't like mushrooms...although I will grill portabellas for her. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Pam said...

Tina, thanks so much! The white pesto was new to me and I thought it was really tasty. I will definitely make it again! The mushrooms, yum!

Monet, thanks! Mustard rocks!

Dave, oh, try the white pesto. I understand with the mushrooms as my younger son does not care for them at all either.

Marina@Picnic at Marina said...

What a great meal! And congratulations on the book. I haven't seen this one yet, need to check it out as I am into Italian food at this time...:)

Pam said...

Marina, thank you! I love that Italian food!

Katie said...

I love mustard, too! One of my favorite places to visit is Dijon - and the many mustard shops there. Love the mushrooms, too :-)

Alessandra said...

Two vegetarian dishes! Nice for me :-).

Ciao and happy Sunday

Alessandra

Gloria said...

Look absolutely yummm Pam:))

Pam said...

Katie, I can only hope to go to Dijon one day, that would be great!

Alessandra, perfect vegetarian! Thanks!

Gloria, have a great rest of the day!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Great recipes! I have all the ingredients to make the pasta dis in my kitchen. Now I don't have to wonder what to make for dinner tonight.

Pam said...

Thanks, Linda!

Reeni said...

I've recently developed a new appreciation for mustard - I love the Saucy Mama ones! Your pesto pasta looks wonderful! I never saw a ricotta pesto before.