all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Chicken with Grape Chutney

Why not make some chutney?  It is the perfect accompaniment to chicken ~ there’s something about the delicious way sweet and sour chutney balances out the flavor of savory chicken. 


This recipe is from my Cooking Light cookbook.  It calls for both green and red grapes.  I knew from making Roasted Italian Sausage with Grapes, that it makes no difference in taste or color, which grape is used, so I used only green grapes.  I then added crushed red peppers to the mix for a little heat.  








I really like this recipe, and am looking forward to the next time I make it with chicken straight from the grill.  It will be delicious!


Chicken with Grape Chutney
Adapted

Ingredients:

½ cup chopped onion
½ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup dry red wine
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon crushed red peppers
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cinnamon stick
2 cups seedless green grapes
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons canola oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper

Method:

In skillet over medium-high heat, add oil.
When hot, add chicken breasts.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Sauté until golden brown and juices run clear, turning once.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine first 7 ingredients over medium-high heat.
Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in grapes; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
Remove cinnamon stick.
Serve chicken with chutney on the side.

It is delicious!

Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes!







Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Pam, what a perfect idea! it is indeed a good combination: chicken and grapes.e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marina, thank you! It's a perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good. I love chutney with meats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought chutney was a funny word. Funny ... and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gloria, thanks!

    jose manuel, gracias!

    Karen, yes, me too!

    Glenda, it is, but it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do need to make an effort and make my own chutney. This grape chutney does look like a great recipe to start with. No doubt it really gave that chicken an amazing flavor. Delicious meal-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting chutney! It must be wonderful with chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to "kick-up" a chicken dish! Thanks for a great recipe!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chutney is something I have never made and you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I wonder why my family isn't crazy about plain ol' baked chicken...think I need to step it up a beat!
    Yummy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG:) this is so delicious!hmmmm, i smell it from here:) i really love your recipes Dear Pam! kisses:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tina, it is! I've only made a few but really like this one.

    Lyndsey, thanks, it is!

    Mary, thank you! It definitely jazzes the chicken up.

    Claudia, great! It's easy to make and good.

    Shug, this would step it up good!

    Amoridoce by coradinha, thank you and kisses to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooohhh.. I bet this is really good. I've made sausage with grapes before too and it was amazing! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing and delicious combination of flavours!!
    Cheers,
    Lia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another good chicken recipe; I wanted to let you know I made Chicken Pizzaiola with Capers last weekend. It was a hit; those capers;wow.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds great and really an easy way to dress a chicken. I agree, I wouldn't think it would matter about the color, the red would just make it prettier. I'd just use whatever was in the fridge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds good, Pam. So color isn't as big of a deal, just make sure you use seedless grapes, right? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the combination of grapes and chicken! You can' t beat the sweet and savory combination.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds really delicious too! I love chutneys!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam