all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, April 9, 2012

Chicken Pizzaiola with Capers ~~~ Lightened Up

I’ve never made, nor even eaten, Chicken Pizzaiola before, but I positively plan on cooking it again!

Chicken Pizzaiola is a traditional Italian food, as far as I know.  A lot of you, my foodie friends, out there are Italian, so please let me know if that is true---what is the origin of this dish?  I believe the original recipe combines the taste of herbs with tomato sauce, poured over cooked chicken and topped with slices of mozzarella cheese.  





I clipped this light variation of Chicken Pizzaiola from our local newspaper, The Northwest Herald.  It has the delicious tomato sauce with plenty of oregano, red pepper flakes and piquant capers.  Instead of layers of mozzarella, this is topped with grated Parmesan cheese. 


It was delicious!  I served it with a green salad and cooked spinach.  It would be great served with spaghetti!


Chicken Pizzaiola with Capers

Ingredients:

3 chicken breasts; boneless, skinless
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
5 green onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14-ounce can) tomatoes, no-salt-added
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon capers, drained
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional

Method:

Place chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap.
With meat pounder or rolling pin, pound evenly to about ¼” thickness.
Sprinkle chicken with oregano, salt and seasoned pepper.
Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
Add chicken and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Transfer to plate.
Add oil to skillet and reduce heat to medium.
Add onion and bell pepper; cook stirring frequently, until tender.
Add garlic and cook about 1 minute.
Return chicken to skillet along and add tomatoes, pepper flakes and capers.


Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes longer; depending upon thickness.
Serve sprinkled with Parmesan, if desired.


Tender, Moist & DELICIOUS! 



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips on Tuesday’s and good and easy recipes every Friday!




Pin It

27 comments:

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Mmmmm that sounds really good to me, on my 'to do' list. Hope you had a good Easter. Diane

jose manuel said...

Delicioso este plato, fabuloso

My Little Space said...

Oh Pam, how lovely is that you got to try this. It looks really tasty. Anyway, Happy Easter Day to you & your family.
Hope you're having a great week ahead.
Kristy

Karen said...

This looks really good and reminds me of chicken cacciatore. Love the flavors!

Shug said...

Ummmm....looks delicious.
Would you believe I have never
tasted a caper!! Shocking, I know.
I must get out there and explore!
Have a great day.

bellini said...

I'd have to sy I have found what I want to make for supper with the chicken in the fridge.

Big Dude said...

I’ve never made, nor eaten, nor ever heard of Chicken Pizzaiola before - but I will say it looks and sounds delicious.

Pegasuslegend said...

Looks wonderful!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

You have a talent for finding delicious recipes! Thanks for sharing!

freerangegirl said...

Mmm I love Pizzaiola - I've enever tried cooking it though, but I will now. Thanks for sharing Pam - and great pictures x

João Silva said...

Pam, wonderful recepie!

All the best

JS

Michael Toa said...

Pam, I never had chicken pizzaiola, but I am drooling over it now. Looks so delicious! I adore capers too.
I must cook this soon.

Jenn said...

My family used to make steak pizzaiola a lot when I was growing up. It was sooooo good!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

For the past 2 months I've been hearing and seeing a LOT about pizzaiola, seems pretty popular! I've never tried it. This chicken dish you shared looks delicious and makes me want to make some pizzaiola soon! YUM!

Bo said...

Well I certainly need to be eating lighter! Sounds great even without all that cheese.

Pam said...

Diane, thanks! It's a good chicken dish!

jose manuel, gracias! Que tengas un buen dia!

Kristy, thank you! You have a good week.

Karen, yes! I haven't made chicken cacciatore in ages and have to now that you mentioned it!

Shug, you may be in for a treat. They have a unique taste, pungent.

bellini, ummmm! I think you'll like it!

Larry, you have to give it a try. It's tasty!

Claudia, thanks! Have a good week.

Linda, thanks, but not nearly as good as you!

freerangegirl, great, I hope you do! It's easy enough and filling too. Thanks for the visit!

Joao, thank you! I'm so glad you like it. Have a good week!

Michael, if you like chicken and capers too, you'll like this for sure. It has a great blend of flavors!

Jenn, ooh, I've never heard of that. Now I'm curious and hope you will post it.

Andrea, it's funny how certain foods make the rounds. I like this recipe since it's a little lighter.

Bo, if you make it, you won't miss all the mozzarella. And, unfortunately, I know what you mean about eating lighter!

Bizzy B. Bakes said...

This looks delicious. It is funny how I can live without meat but I do like chicken. This is one great chicken.

Pam said...

BBB, thanks! Yes, I agree with the chicken, it's versatile and good!

Rita said...

The perfect recipe for me; I am trying to empty my freezer. I have chicken breast and tomato sauce that will make this perfect. Thanks Pam; on the menu for the weekend.
Rita

Pam said...

Rita, great! I think you'll like it. Have a good rest of the day!

Claudia said...

I don't know that dish at all but I have to say I want it in my life. I love each and every ingredient. The combination is irresistible.

Lizzy said...

This looks excellent, Pam! I love a dinner idea that doesn't require any exotic ingredients...simple, yet delicious! Thanks for sharing~

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

It looks delicious Pam! Chicken goes so well with tomatoes and cheese.

Chris said...

That sounds terrific. I love the briny taste of capers and it would pair nice up against the acid of the tomato.

Clements Family said...

yum yum yum! this looks fabulous!

Patticake said...

This is definitely on my list of food to do's! Sounds/looks delicious!
Thanks for sharing-Patti

Mary said...

This sounds delicious. I bet it would be perfect with some smashed potatoes or angel hair. Thanks for the recipe!