all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, March 12, 2012

Savory Hamburger Pie

Seriously, doesn’t hamburger pie sound just a bit strange?  It sounds like a "concoction" that was served in my high school lunchroom. 


But, I’m crazy about hamburgers and since this includes mashed potatoes for Bill, I felt compelled to make hamburger pie the other night.  It was a chilly day and this proved to be a good “stick-to-your-ribs” meal.




I’m sure there are a lot of versions of this “meal-in-one” dish and I’m guessing it resembles Shepherd’s Pie.  I used very lean ground beef and added mushrooms to the mix.  This recipe is from my “vintage” Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  It’s a tasty, easy, hearty dish that I thought was really good and Bill thought was really great!







Savory Hamburger Pie
Adapted

Ingredients:

4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
Milk
Salt, to taste
2 tablespoons butter
1½ pounds lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms
3 cups frozen green beans, thawed
1 (10-ounce) can condensed tomato soup
Salt and seasoned pepper, to taste
1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Add potatoes to a pot of boiling salted water and cook until fork tender.
Drain and mash.
Add enough milk to make them fluffy; add butter, season to taste with salt and set aside.

In a large skillet, sauté ground beef, onion and garlic until meat is browned.
Add mushrooms and cook until tender.
Drain fat.

Stir in green beans, soup and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. 
Simmer for 2 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
Pour into a greased 2-quart casserole.
Spoon mashed potatoes over the beef mixture.
Sprinkle cheese over all.
Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and cheese begins to brown.
Makes 6 servings.

ENJOY!!!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes!






Pin It

18 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear there is another woman out there who Loves burgers! When we travel I am always looking for hamburger spots review. Great looking pie.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly looks good! We love hamburgers around here but usually eat them on buns. However, your recipe brought to mind that, often, my mother served hamburger without the buns--as a meat alongside vegetables. I think combining them is a good thing.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, it is delicious no matter what you call it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Hamburger Pie sounds good. I will have to give it a try soon.
    Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kind of recipe...Hamburger pie!
    We had something similar to this a whole lot when I was growing up...Can't beat it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Pam,
    Very scrumptious and delicious pie. Loved the suggestion!
    Cheers,
    Lia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can call it anything you like, it looks fantastic yum yum. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hamburgers in any variation and this looks great.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great all in one, comfort dish and it looks scrumptious! I have that same cookbook and I still use a lot of the vintage recipes, as they are timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! It looks like a souped up version of Shepherd's pie. That's what I call comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does sound a little odd but also strangely comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you, Pam.. hamburgers are the bomb! And how can you go wrong mixing hamburger and mashed potatoes??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pam,the name of your recipe did catch my attention. An unusual dish to be a pie and a hamburger..but you are making me salivate! bookmarking this. definitely will try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I pam!!! Gorgeous!!!
    Direct from Turkey!!!
    Your fan João Silva

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is definitely a guy's meal, full of comfort. I wouldn't mind having some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Hamburger Pie.. havent made it in forever. Think I might give this one a whirl this weekend. Thanks Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rita, yes! I love a good hamburger with all the fixings!

    Bonnie, thanks! We generally eat hamburgers on buns also, but this is a good for a change.

    Marina, thanks!

    Kristin, great! I hope you and yours like it!

    Shug, then you really know all about it! ;)

    Lia, thank you! It's something different to try!

    Diane, lol! Thank you!

    Glenda, I'm with you all the way!

    Marguerite, oldies but goodies are a wonderful thing once in a while!

    Lyndsey, yes, it is a souped up version. It's good!

    Joanne, I agree! It's good though.

    Jenn, right on! The bomb for sure!

    What's Baking?? Unusual it is and tasty too!

    João, thanks so much! I'm glad you like it!

    Judy, it definitely is. Pretty hearty!

    Leslie, great! I'm glad this reminded you of it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look at that golden crust, yum! Seems like a perfect weeknight meal, all good stuff in one pot.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam