all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, March 5, 2012

Pork Chops with Cabbage and Potatoes


This is my spin on a one-dish meal ~ potatoes, cabbage and pork chops; all thrown together, with no “cream of ??? soup!”





I relish the taste of caraway seeds; you know:  the little brownish seeds that are in rye bread, giving it that unique flavor.  The small, sort of tannish-brown, caraway seeds taste similar to anise, only milder; sweet, but a little sharp.  It is said to be used in Europe longer than any other herb.  






Here are some facts regarding caraway:

·
  • v  The caraway seed is native to north and central Europe and West Asia.


    v  Caraway seeds contain appreciable amount of moisture, protein, fast, carbohydrates, ash, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, iron, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin. It also contains vitamins C and A.

    v  The caraway seeds, leaves and roots are considered useful in activating the glands, besides increasing the action of the kidneys. So, it is called as excellent 'house cleaner' for the body.


    v  Caraway seeds were believed to prevent lovers from straying; it was once an essential ingredient of love potions!


I hope you try this recipe!  It makes for a great dinner on these chilly evenings we’re still having!






Pork Chops with Cabbage and Potatoes

Ingredients:

4 pork chops
1-2 tablespoons oil
1 small head cabbage, large chop
4 potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
Paprika, sprinkled

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a skillet, brown pork chops on both sides in a small amount of oil; set aside.
Place cabbage in the bottom of a baking dish.
Add a layer of potatoes and onions over the cabbage.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the broth and flour.
Add caraway seeds and stir.
Place chops on top of cabbage and potatoes.
Pour broth over top and cover with foil.
Bake for 1 hour, remove foil to let chops brown.
Bake for another 30 minutes or until chops are tender.


Bon Appetite!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes





26 comments:

Michael Toa said...

I adore caraway seeds with pork. They're so good together. The pork chops look absolutely wonderful and with the cabbage... YUM.

jose manuel said...

Se ve muy rico

Saludos

StephenC said...

My mother always cooked pork chops low and slow like this. I did some thin ones high and fast last night (after brining for 3 hours). They were good, but you have given me a craving for the cabbage, potatoes and the caraway.

Pam said...

Michael, I so agree about the caraway! Thanks!

jose manuel, gracias!

Stephen, this combo of ingredients is great and easy to make too!

João Silva said...

I Pam, congratulations, for this wonderful place!!! I will be conected!!!all the best!!!
Regards

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

Can I come for dinner? Pleeeeese :) This looks amazing, mouth-watering, delicious! YUM!

Pegasuslegend said...

looking at these chops it may make me starting eating meat again! they look great!

Marguerite said...

Great looking chops and cabbage dish and the caraway seeds seem like a perfect touch! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

MaryBeth said...

We adore pork chops at our house, this is a new way to make them that I will have to try...looks amazing

David said...

Pam, Nice twist on pork chops with everything in one dish. Love pork, potatoes and cabbage. The caraway seeds are a nice touch. Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

YUM ... I love it that there is no cream of anything soup.

Fondly,
Glenda

kelly said...

Pam! why your so great?
hahah! thumbs up for the post, i really cant deny it.

Jenn said...

Caraway seeds and pork were meant for each other, don't you think?
This dish looks and sounds delicious, Pam!

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Looks really good! I always have caraway seeds in my pantry for making breads but I don't think I've ever used it in savory dishes. Will have to give it a try one of these days.

Pam said...

Joao, thank you! It's nice to meet you and I'm so glad you stopped by!

CCS, of course you can! There's always room for more at the table. ;)

Claudia, they're really good! And I hope you have a good day!

Marguerite, I think the taste of caraway seeds is great, esp. with pork and in slaw.

MaryBeth, hope you like it as much as we do.

Dave, thanks! I really like pork chops and am always on the lookout for new recipes for them.

Glenda, great! I'm not into cream of anything soup too much. Remember that green bean casserole that appears every Thanksgiving?

Jenn, you got it! Pretty tasty seeds in a lot of dishes!

Pam said...

Biren, hope you try the seeds for great flavor in meat and potato dishes. I love lots of caraway seeds in dark breads!

Rita said...

Love one pot meal and especially when there is no soup; saving this one; thank you Pam.
Rita

Salsa Verde said...

HI Pam,
Delicious plate of food. I love caraway seeds and the "minty" flavour they give to food.
Cheers,
Lia.

Salsa Verde said...

HI Pam,
Delicious plate of food. I love caraway seeds and the "minty" flavour they give to food.
Cheers,
Lia.

Gloria said...

Hi PAm really look awesome and tasty!

kitchen flavours said...

This looks delicious! Really flavourful with the caraway seeds! And the cabbage and potatoes are perfect for a satisfying meal!

Jade@maids said...

Wow, you always amaze me with your work, very impressive.

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

This is my idea of comfort food, Pam. I love the flavor of caraway in beef and pork dishes. It reminds me of my grandmother's cooking.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I have all the ingredients in the house, dinner for Friday, thanks Pam. Diane

Becki's Whole Life said...

It's always surprising to hear how much nutritional value some herbs/seeds have. My mom always put caraway seeds in her sauerkraut and pork roast. This sounds somewhat similar and it's making me hungry!

Chris said...

I didn't know caraway was the monogamy spice, lol. Great meal!