all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Healthier Beef Stroganoff

It was during the “ultimate comfort food era,” the 1950’s, when Beef Stroganoff migrated from its origin in Saint Petersburg, Russia, to the United States.  Sautéed pieces of beef were served in a sauce with “smetana” or sour cream, and mushrooms.  






The story goes that a culinary competition was held in the 1890’s, during Czarist times, when a daring chef concocted this savory dish.  The chef was employed by a high-ranking noble family, the Stroganov’s.  They were wealthy beyond belief with, at one time, having 155,000 serfs on the 6.5 million acres the family owned. 

The creative chef named the dish in honor of his patron, Count Pavel Alexandrovich Stroganov and took away first prize.  A spin on the Beef Storganoff story is that it was created specifically for the Count because he had lost his teeth and was unable to chew a steak.






This version is a delicious dish that really took us by surprise.  The recipe is from The New American Heart Association Cookbook.  It is packed with delectable flavors and I will be making this Beef Stroganoff again!!!


Here's the recipe:




Lighter Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients:

1 pound beef tenderloin, boneless round steak, or boneless sirloin
½ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups fat-free, no-salt-added beef broth
2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried dillweed
1/3 cup fat-free or light sour cream

Method:

Discard all visible fat from meat and slice into thin strips about 2-inches long; sprinkle with pepper.
Pour oil into a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Cook mushrooms for 2-3 minutes, or until tender; transfer to a plate.
Cook onion in same skillet for 3-4 minutes, or until brown; add to the mushrooms.
Put meat in skillet and brown on all sides until rare, about 3 minutes; add to mushrooms.
Put flour in skillet; gradually pour in broth, whisking constantly.
Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until thickened, whisking constantly.
Reduce heat to low.
Whisk in remaining ingredients except the sour cream.
Stir in the mushroom mixture.
Cook for 15 minutes.
Put sour cream in a small bowl.
Stir in a small amount of meat mixture and add to the skillet.
Cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Serve over noodles or rice.

It’s DELICIOUS!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes! 




32 comments:

Susan said...

Pam, one of my all time favorite dishes. Perhaps because I do have a bit of Russian blood in me. I made this often in the 70's and 80's and then got away from it because of the calories. You have just tweaked my whisk to try this fantastic dish again. Thanks. Susan

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

I have to try this one, nice that it was lightened up, it looks delicious!

jose manuel said...

Se ve delicioso el plato, que fantastico.

Saludos

Pam said...

Susan, I'm so glad this brought out your Russian side and tweaked your whisk at the same time! lol!!! I too quit making this years ago and was a bit apprehensive when I saw it in the AHA cookbook. But it turned out to be a big hit with us. So I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Carol, thanks! It truly is delicious!

Pam said...

jose manuel, gracias! Es delicioso!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I will definitely try this recipe it looks and sounds fantastic. Diane

Shug said...

Hi Pam..
I like your new look! looks great.
This is definitely a favorite of our family. The sauce looks so rich and yummy...I'm sure my kiddos would be lapping it up with a few homemade rolls..

Mr. Bill said...

Pam..you prompted me to get off my "office chair backside", (you know the real word) and make Stroganoff for supper! Thanks for the motivational inspiration!

Lynda said...

I haven't made stroganoff in a long time. Yours looks fantastic with all the mushrooms and all that creamy sauce.

Gloria said...

Look delicious dear pam!!

Dr Dan said...

I had this on my mine last weekend but wanted a lower fat version. Thanks for the inspiration.

Beth said...

This looks like a great variation on a classic recipe.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Pam, it's been a long time since I've made stroganoff...and never with tomato paste. The flavor would be richer I think. Looks worth making! Thanks.

kitchen flavours said...

This sure looks good, even though I don't eat beef. Would be lovely with some homemade bread too!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

This looks so rich and delicious, no one would know it was a lighter version of the traditional comfort food recipe.

Salsa Verde said...

Hi Pam,
What a fantastic suggestion and healthier to top it up!!
Cheers,
Lia.

Allen said...

a really looking good beef. it really suit with my beef craving can you make me a beef soup? hehe just a favor. thanks for sharing Pam
really like this post of yours!

Jenn said...

I haven't had beef stroganoff in ages! I'll definitely be trying this... although Chris will not be happy, he's not a mushroom fan... oh well.. I'll enjoy it :)

Pam said...

Diane, thanks! Have a good weekend!

Shug, thank you! It would be great with homemade rolls!

Mr. Bill, you're welcome! I'm always happy to help out! lol!

Lynda, the sauce made it!

Gloria, thank you! Have a good rest of the day and weekend too!

Dr. Dan, great! Good timing! Hope you try it and like it as much as I did!

Beth, it is, lower calorie count!

Corgidogmama, I know that's unusual and probably what really added to the good flavor!

kitchengflavors, thanks and have a good weekend!

Linda, I think you're right! Surprising how good it is without the added calories.

Lia, yes! Hope you have a great weekend!

Allen, yes! LOL! I make a really good vegetable beef soup! If I only knew how to get it through this laptop to you.

Jenn, oh, mushrooms really add to this. Maybe you could disguise them. :-)

Christine's Pantry said...

This looks so good. Will have to try this.

Becki's Whole Life said...

Beef Stroganoff was one of my dad's favorite foods so we had it often when I was young. I made it a month or two ago. Love this recipe because it's on the lighter side, but it certainly don't sound like it loses any flavor at all.

I like this history here, too!

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I used to make this dish all the time back in the 70's but it has just fallen off the radar in the past few years. Thanks for the reminder of how good it is. Definitely bookmarked!

Pam said...

Christine, I hope you do! Have a good weekend!

Becki, your dad knew what was good! No, it doesn't lose any flavor. I was really surprised with how good it is!

Cathy, great! I hadn't made it in a long time, until I came across this recipe.

What's Baking?? said...

Interesting history to the dish, Pam. Looking delicious.

Pam said...

What's Baking, thanks so much!

Penny said...

Since we are watching calories this is a very timely dish. I, like Susan, have a bit of Russian in my blood so this is a great variation on one of my favorites.

Country Dreaming said...

Sounds DELISH! Of course, anything with noodles and I am there.

Melinda

Pam said...

Penny, this is good for your Russian heritage and counting calories too. The sauce flavors it well!

Melinda, I'm pretty much the same way. Have a great rest of the weekend!

Chris said...

I'd be "Russian" to the table to eat this! (okay, that was bad.)

JG said...

Yum! I like the fat free sour cream here, too!
~Judy

Pam said...

Chris, Your humor is great as usual and I always like anyone who makes me laugh! :-)

Judy, you are right on spot! Less calories for sure!

coradinha said...

hello Pam! this dish looks delicious! enjoyed discovering your blog. I am also a recent blog. I am a follower :) loved it :)