all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cheesy Baked Mostaccioli

A lot of recipes for mostaccioli call for 5 or 6 Italian sausage links and then tell you to remove the casing before cooking.  I don’t know about anyone else, but why bother… just buy the sausage in bulk form to make the job easier. 






This recipe makes a lot of mostaccioli ~ note the size of the baking dish!  It’s great for a small group and is perfect for a potluck; or, half would freeze well for a later meal.  This is easy and delicious and gives you that satisfied feeling after eating it.  Use jarred pasta sauce if you want to make it even easier.  It’s delicious!









Cheesy Baked Mostaccioli

Ingredients:

16 ounces mostaccioli
2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (14.5 ounce) Hunts Fire-roasted Diced Tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
½ cup water
1 (8-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained well
½ cup black olives
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook mostaccioli according to package directions, drain well; set aside.

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, crumble sausage.
Add bell pepper and onion and cook until sausage is done.
Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, mix well.
Add additional ingredients up to cheese.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in mostaccioli.
Coat an 11” x 16” baking dish with nonstick spray.
Place half of mostaccoli mixture in baking dish.
Top with half of mozzarella cheese.
Spread remaining mostaccoli over all.
Sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top.
Top with Parmesan.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated throughout.
Remove foil and bake for 5 minutes.
Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
12 servings

Try it for cheesy goodness!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and delicious easy recipes!





Pin It

17 comments:

Rita said...

My kind of one pot meal; love that you can freeze it; especially when you are cooking for 2, Gotta pin this one.
Rita

Gloria said...

aaah Pam Im sure my son would die by these cheese mostaccioli he really love pasta ! look delicious!

Pegasuslegend said...

I love this kind of pasta and yours looks wonderful Pam!

jose manuel said...

Que platazo, me encanta.

Saldos

Karen said...

This is my kind of pasta. Yum! When we have guys here during hunting season, I make something similar in my roasting pan! It's huge and deep and there's very little leftover!

Big Dude said...

Bev's fixing supper and after reading this, I'm now starved - it looks sooo good. I had to look up Mostaccioli.

Country Dreaming said...

Sounds ooey gooey good!

Melinda

Salsa Verde said...

This is my kind of comforting meal. DELICIOUS!!
Cheers,
Lia.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I am making your recent chicken recipe tonight for company. But it could just as easily have been this recipe. It looks great and has all my husband's favorite ingredients. Maybe next week.

Are you enjoying this beautiful weather?

Fondly,
Glenda

Jenn said...

Baked mostaccioli is one of my all time favorite dishes. My grandma used to make it all the time. LOVE it!!

Pam said...

Rita, thanks! Yes, freezing it is great for a just heat and serve meal later.

Gloria, great! It's good!

Claudia, I kind of guessed you would like it. ;)

jose manuel, gracias!

Karen, I bet they love the food you cook for them!

Larry, I know what you mean. Growing up in Louisville, I had never heard of mostaccioli until moving here!

Melinda, it is ooey gooey!

Lia, yes, it's comfort food all the way.

Glenda, great! I hope you all like it as much as we do. Yes, I'm loving this weather. Just heard Tom Skilling say it's the first time in history here for hitting 80 degrees in March and it did it 2 days in a row.

Jenn, lucky you with having a Grandma who made it!!!

Shug said...

A good dish for my hungry crew...they could engulf every bit of this in no time at all...JUST THE KIND OF FOOD THEY LOVE!!
Have a great weekend..
shug

kitchen flavours said...

Looks delicious! Size of baking dish is no problem for me, my kids love leftover baked pasta! Two meals in one! Love it! :o)

Lyndsey said...

This is why I like coming here, you just can't beat these meals in one pan! Looks amazing!

Gabi said...

Baked pasta is literally one of my favorites. Looks super yummy! A one pan wonder too. Perfect! :)

http://teenytastytriumphs.blogspot.co.uk/

Gabi said...

Baked pasta is literally one of my favorites. Looks super yummy! A one pan wonder too. Perfect! :)

http://teenytastytriumphs.blogspot.co.uk/

Chris said...

Oh yeah, that looks GREAT, Pam! I'm with you, I like getting bulk sausage when the market has it, much easier.