all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Balsamic Succotash

I am a succor for succotash and always have been!

Normally, I prepare it the “traditional” way; just corn and lima beans with milk, a little butter and salt and pepper, and a sprinkling of sugar; especially at Thanksgiving time – that’s the way Mom always made it.  






This is an updated, sophisticated finish to an old-time favorite from Cooking Light.  Instead of 2 tablespoons butter, I coat the skillet with cooking spray and add 1 or 2 teaspoons butter, for less fat.

You know the sweet/tart taste of balsamic vinegar – it’s perfect here, blending with the other ingredients.  This makes a lot for a mouthwatering side dish, but it’s a great lunch in my book, packed with protein and fiber!  If you like succotash too, try this new version!  It’s truly delicious!  



Balsamic Succotash

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter (I use cooking spray and 1-2 teaspoons butter)
1 cup chopped onion (I used sliced shallots)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
2 teaspoons fresh basil, or ½ teaspoon dried
1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
½ cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
½ teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Method:

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes or until onion softens, stirring occasionally.
Add corn, bell pepper, basil and beans, and cook for 4 minutes.
Add broth, sugar, salt and pepper.
Cook 7 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.

6 servings of 2/3 cup each = 159 calories
fat 5.4 grams
carbs 24.7 grams
fiber 4.5
protein 5.1


This is a delectable veggie side dish!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking.  She is having a great cookbook giveaway now!





Pin It

20 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

colourful side looks wonderful

jose manuel said...

Estupenda la receta, me encanta.

Saludos

Amoridoce by coradinha said...

Hello Adorable Pam:) hum...so yummy:) beautiful recipe so colourful and healthy:) kisses and blessings

Gloria said...

what nice recipe Pam!!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

This is gorgeous and it sounds delicious!

mr. pineapple man said...

Looks delicious and healthy too! perfect!

Crunchy Creamy Sweet said...

I love this easy and fresh idea for a veggie side! Thank you for sharing, Pam!

Katy ~ said...

It has been years since I've had succotash. This looks so good I think it's time to rediscover it! Looks fab.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Mmmmmm that does looks good Pam I will be making this very soon. Ta. Diane

Lynda said...

this looks light, colorful and delicious-it is perfect for this warm weather we are having.

João Silva said...

I Pam, each day better!

wishes of a nice weekend!

Your friend

JS

Jenn said...

I've never been a huge fan of succatsh, but with the added balsamic, I just might need to give it another chance! Sounds wonderful!

Jenn Kendall said...

this looks like a great side dish! i love the addition of balsamic vinegar!

Pam said...

Torviewtoronto, thanks!

jose manuel, gracias!

Amoridoce by coradinha, thank you! Yes, it's healthy and good too!

Gloria, thanks so much!

mr. pineapple man, thank you! I love lima beans about any way!

CCS, thanks! It's a good side dish for this summer during grilling season.

Diane, great! I hope you like it!

Lynda, good for you! It's very chilly, rainy here today, in the low 40's.

JS, thank you! It's pretty tasty and a good way to fix veggies!

Jenn, maybe you'd like this then. It's something a little different.

Jenn Kendall, yes, the balsamic gives the veggies a unique taste. Yum!

Lyndsey said...

Yes I like this...updating mom's recipe! I usually stay away from succotach just because of the lima beans...but it is fun to say! :D

Pegasuslegend said...

well done great recipe PAM!

Rita said...

Would you believe I have never made Succotash, but this one is getting saved and I will be making it for sure; the balsamic must be perfect on this.
Rita

What's Baking?? said...

Appetizing indeed!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Great update on a old time family favorite! Balsamic vinegar adds a nice twist to recipes.

Natalie Atick said...

What a great side dish!!!! I love it!!
Wanted to let you know that I chose you for the Versatile blogger award!!
http://www.foodatick.com/2012/04/peanut-butter-and-banana-bread-cupcakes.html