all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, February 13, 2012

“Yummy ~ Not Pretty” Cookies for Valentine’s Day



You know those pretty little heart-shaped sugar cookies that are drizzled with chocolate that you bake for Valentine’s Day?  I was all ready to bake them until Bill went to the mailbox and came in the house with the March issue of “Food Network” magazine ~ the Chocolate issue!  







I’m not the resident chocolate addict, but I drooled my way through the magazine, and came to “The Way the Cookie Crumbles.”   It told me, “Choose your chocolate chip cookie style:  crispy, chewy or somewhere in between.”  “Chewy” got my attention!

I don’t bake cookies a lot any more like I used to, but when I do; it’s usually some variety of a chewy type cookie.  In my cookie baking experience, I know it can be hit or miss in making a cookie that claims to be “chewy;” only to have it turn out crunchy!  So many variables:  baking time, whether the dough is chilled or not, etc.  These cookies live up to their description:   chewy, delicious and chock full of semi-sweet chocolate chips!

My chocolate chip cookies may not be as pretty as those dainty, beautifully decorated red, pink and white Valentine cookies, but I can tell you for a fact ~ they taste great!  Are you a crispy or chewy sort of person?









Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

2¾ cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
1¾ cups packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Method:

Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together into a large bowl.
Beat butter and both sugars in a bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes, or use a stand mixer.
Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla.
Reduce mixer speed to low.
Add flour mixture and beat until combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips by hand. 
Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the dough and refrigerate at least 1 hour or preferably overnight.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Drop heaping tablespoonful’s of dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2” apart on cookie sheet.
Use my cookie scoop and cookie sheets with ridges.
Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges but still soft in the middle, about 12 minutes.
Remove the cookies from oven and let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
Makes about 30 cookies


YUM!!!










Here’s wishing you all a Happy Valentine’s Day!!!




                                  Valentine glitter









Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, My Kind of Cooking.  She's hosting a giveaway now for one of her cookbooks and cute kitchen towels!



Pin It

29 comments:

  1. I love chocolate chip cookies. They're like a big, warm and gooey hug. Which is perfect for Valentine's Day. And they're beautiful, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate chips cookies are the best. I personally prefer the chewy kind.
    Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look pretty good to me and I bet they are tasty. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't decide - I like them both depending on the type of cookie. These look awesome! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double YUM on those cookies.... and Happy Valentine's Day to you and hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ree, thanks! They definitely are that.

    Kristin, great! Me too!

    Claudia, thanks and have a good day!

    Diane, thanks! They're great with a cup of coffee.

    Biren, I know what you mean. Happy Valentine's Day to you also. We have more snow on the way again today and I'm guessing you do too.

    Karen, great minds think alike! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Bill, thanks! And the same to you, have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow...I jut got that magazine, but have not had time to look through it...We are having chocolate night this coming Wed. at church..this cookie recipe would be perfect for me to bake up...
    Hope your day is going well...have a super sweet day..
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not the chocolate lover in here either, but like you I made him chocolate chip cookies and added raisins that he loves; tastes like Chocolate covered raisins.
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  10. those look beautiful to me!! pass me two please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shug, there are so many chocolate goodies in there and they all look good!

    Rita, yum! I love cookies with raisins so I know your cookies are really delicious!

    mr. pineapple man, thanks and I wish I could!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's nothing better than a good chocolate chip cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm a huge chocolate chip cookie fan, these look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who says these are not pretty? They look pretty damn good to me. Good job.

    Happy Valentines Day, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SavoringTime in the Kitchen, I concur! Thanks!

    teresa, thank you! We are here too!

    Laz, thanks! They taste pretty damn good too! Here's wishing you Happy Valentine's Day too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love chewy cookies at our house. I have some leftover chocolate chips from my Christmas baking and I was trying to figure out what to make with them. Now I know, your cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny, all things stopped for me just the other day when I got my chocolate issue of the Food Network magazine too!! These cookies also caught my attention, but they are chocolate chip... how could I miss them!!
    Happy Valentine's day, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chewy would have grabbed me, too! They look so good, chewy chocolate chip is my favorite.
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Linda, this is a great recipe for them.

    Jenn, everything chocolate in that magazine; incredible and delicious for sure. The perfect food mag for a chocoholic!

    Carol, thanks! I hope you have a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, I agree and disagree with you. First, these are pretty and yummy! I also like chewy cookies and have the same issues with baking...I always wonder about that "hit-or-miss" due to whatever...same recipe, but you never know how they'll turn out. Seriously these look pretty to me!!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now, who said they're not pretty!!!! I think they look & taste as good. Happy Valentine's day to you & your loved ones, Pam. Hope you're going to have a fabulous & most romantic evening. ((hugs))
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chocolate cookies always brings a smile! Looks delightful! Hope you had a good Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Miss Pam, I'm a chewy kinda gal all the way so I have to tell ya, I'm stealin' this recipe.

    I'm kinda addicted to chocolate too. 'Just sayin'....

    God bless ya and I hope your had a perfect Valentine's Day!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness! Fresh hot chocolate
    chip cookies---YUM!
    They look delish.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love chocolate chip cookies, perfect with coffee. Yours look delicious :-) Must better than the sugar coated ones in my opinion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am definitely a chewy cookie lover. Yours sound very yummy; they look pretty good too:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am always addicted to chocolate chip cookies and this looks irresistible.. awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam