all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, February 27, 2012

Slow-Cooker Bacon Jam with a Rant


Dear bacon jam ~ I knew I loved you before I even made you! 


It’s sticky, porky, sweet, garlicky, savory and spicy.  Frying the bacon till crisp, and combining with onions, garlic and other ingredients, cooking long and slow for the onions to caramelize, allowing it to turn into a thick syrup; and finally, pulverizing it all in a food processor for one of the best chunky gustatory sensations you can imagine.






This recipe, from Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine, has been floating around for at least a year, and I can’t imagine why it took me so long to finally make it.  The only change I will be making the next time is to double the recipe so as to share.  It is equally delicious served cold, room temperature, or warmed.  And it keeps well refrigerated for a month, if it lasts that long.






This is definitely one of the best things I have done with bacon.  I slathered this ‘jam’ on my toast this morning, but there are so many ways to enjoy it:  On a slice of tomato, on a burger, or a warm biscuit, grilled cheese, bagel chips, fried eggs, flambéed cheese, shrimp, scallops, whitefish, pork tenderloin, chicken, on crostini.  In quesadillas, on peanut butter or fried egg sandwiches, pancakes, waffles, burritos, pigs in a blanket, pizza, deviled eggs or potato salad.  Spread the bacon jam on a crescent roll before rolling and baking and serve either warm or room temperature.  Or just “straight-up,” right out of the jar!



Before
After 3.5 hours slow cooking



Slow-Cooker Bacon Jam

Ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
2 medium yellow onions, diced small
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup brewed strong coffee

Method:
Line a platter with paper towels, and set aside.
In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is lightly browned, approximately 20 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to the platter to drain.
Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat (discard or reserve for another use).
Add the onions and garlic, and cook until the onions are translucent, 5-6 minutes.
Add vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup and coffee, and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes. 
Add the bacon, and stir to combine.
Transfer mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until liquid is syrupy, 3½ to 4 hours.
If it starts to dry out after 2 or 3 hours, add ¼ cup of water at a time and stir well.
Transfer to a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
Let cool, then refrigerate in airtight containers, up to 4 weeks.

Oh, my gosh, if you haven’t made bacon jam yet, you have to do it soon!  You might just love it and become addicted too!


Rant time:  I’m like many of you ~ fed up with the two word CAPTCHA that Blogger installed on Blogspot posts recently.  It is just plain frustrating when trying to make a comment, for so many reasons.  After reading a post on Diane’s blog, I changed the settings on my blog.  I was using the new Blogger interface and had to revert to the old interface to change the comment setting.

Here are the simple steps to turn off the word verification:

Go the dashboard for your blog.  (If using the new interface:  go to your dashboard, and click on the gear in the upper right hand corner.  In the drop down box, select “old blogger interface.”)

Click on settings on the old interface.

Select the “comments” tab.

Scroll down the page to “Show word verification for comments?”

Click, “No.”

Hit “Save Settings” at the bottom of the page!

Be happy, as you should be CAPTCHA free now!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and recipes.   She’s having an awesome giveaway now!



Pin It

37 comments:

Karen said...

I am going to *have* to make some of this!

Pam said...

Karen, it's almost as good as Mojo de Ajo! LOL!

Marina said...

Thank you Pam, I've done it already last week, and agree with you it is frustrating not to be able to comment just because of the word verification!

Becky said...

This looks soo good, and I can think of many uses, like you. If it lasts that long. Thanks for sharing this recipe, because I had never heard of "bacon jam".

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Oh WOW bacon jam, yes, yes, yes. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Nigel will also love it :)
Thanks for the link, I see more and more people are moving to approval rather than verification, it makes life so much easier. Keep well Diane

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Having just published that comment I see you have not got approval first. If you have any problems switch over to approval. The odd spam usually gets caught in the spam box first but it is easy to check. Diane

Pam said...

Marina, great! Yes, it really made commenting difficult sometimes.

Becky, it's so good and there have to be a ton of ways to enjoy it.

Diane, thanks so much for posting about it then and helping! With the approval, I thought I'd wait and see how it goes. Thanks again!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I hope every blogger in the world reads your rant. It is bad enough to have to type in two words (boo), but half of the time, I can't even read the words. (double boo.)

Strong work, Pam.

Fondly,
Glenda

Pam said...

Glenda, thanks! I know exactly what you mean.

StephenC said...

I didn't realize that it was Blogger that made the change to those nearly unreadable "words". I must do what you did to fix my own blog. In the meantime, you should be ashamed at posting such a sinful recipe as this bacon jam. (Just between you and me, I plan to make it.)

Gloria said...

Look realy delicious Pam!!

Pam said...

Stephen, I'm shameless! This is sinful and delicious. Maybe red pepper flakes would be good in it. Unreadable words is right on!

Gloria, thanks!

Angela/Soap Mom's Kitchen/Sutherland Soap Creamery said...

Wow Pam, I never heard of this type of jam, but I am loving it already. I have to make this. What's not to love bacon, brown sugar, maple syrup and COFFEE! YUM!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

May I just say this about your recipe for bacon jam...................Jesus On a Mountain!!!! The ultimate and most naughty, delicious stuff to smear on stuff.....holey moley guacamole!
This stuff should be rated X~~it looks SO good~!

Big Dude said...

I'm with you on the rant and still have a few blogs I read using it, so before I write my comment, I see if I can read the word verification - and usually I can't so no comment. The bacon jam sounds awesome.

Rita said...

I have to save this one for my sons and husband; they are all Bacon Lovers like you would not believe. This recipe is sure to make them smile,
I have never used Word Verification and never and any problems. I am at the point I really don;t enjoy following bloggers with this; never understood it.
Rita

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Wow. That is just a beautiful phrase, "Bacon Jam". How can that be bad? Are there recipes floating around the 'net that don't require a slow cooker, as I currently don't possess one and probably won't unless I can sneak it past my husband (who has major fears of electrial appliances that run for hours).

Becki's Whole Life said...

I so have to try this...I can only imagine how wonderful it tastes..

So funny you mentioned the Captcha phrases. I can hardly read them and once I got it wrong and I thought seriously?? I heard somewhere that Google is taking very old text that they couldn't completely decipher and using them as the captcha phrases to determine what they really say....so in other words they are mking money off of these captcha phrases...I might be a little off, but apprently they are using thse particular phrases for a reason.

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

I've never had bacon jam, it looks good!

Dianne @ House said...

Is this for real? lol
never encountered a bacon jam, but it really tempting me to try it coz i love the recipe ..

Jenn said...

Don't you just love when they make changes to Blogger and it screws everything up? Fun, isn't it? :)

Ok... now let's talk about this jam. OMG, I so can't wait to make this. I have seen recipes for this before and I don't know why I have never attempted it before... must rectify that!!!

Pam said...

Angela, thanks! You really have to make it!

Corgidogmama, lol! I agree all the way. It is pretty decadent stuff to smear on your food. It's soooo good!

Larry, I do the same. It's too frustrating to keep trying.

Rita, I understand and agree. I never really looked into it before now, but wish I had when I first started blogging--just thought it was one of those things you have to put up with.


The Short (dis)Order Cook, yes! Here's a recipe making it in a Dutch oven:
http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2011/01/recipe-for-bacon-jam-and-cheese-panini.html

Hope you like it as much as I do!


Becki, thanks for the info. It makes sense and doesn't surprise me!

Carol, it is!

Dianne, it is really for real! It's a wonderful thing!

Jenn, yes! Too bad they just can't leave a good thing alone! I did the same, ignored this recipe for a long time, unfortunately. Hope you make it soon!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

My husband is going to go nuts for this recipe! Every time I create a new recipe he will tell me, "You know what would be great in this?" I know what is coming next, he says, "Bacon!" The man is crazy for bacon!

Pam said...

Linda, LOL! Bacon is an amazing thing. It must be the cure-all for everything!

teresa said...

holy cow, bacon jam! SO delicious!

Tommajean said...

Just spent the past two days going through your entire blog. You have some great recipes, can't wait to try some of the fresh veggies this summer. Will be back to visit often.

Grimmie said...

a bacon jam for bread. ahmnn sounds interesting! can i use both right? a fresh and a left over bacon :)

Bo said...

I've never seen this recipe before...I'm going to have to try it. I hope everyone turns of those word verifications!

Beth said...

Thanks for the captcha information. I've changed it, and hopefully it'll be easier for commenters now.

Big Green Eggic said...

"I knew I loved you before I made you.."

Never have I ever read truer words. I am so glad i stumbled upon this recipe, thank you!

Grubarazzi said...

You hit my carnal lust button with this one! Bacon jam! Double take!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Bacon Jam??? Oh my! This is the first I've heard of it, but, um... since you give it such a great review, you've twisted my arm to try it-thanks:@)

Salsa Verde said...

What a fantastic suggestion Pam!!
I love bacon so much and this jam must be a delight for every bacon lover.
Cheers,
Lia.

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Oh My Goodness this looks SO YUMMY! I'm visiting from "Happier Than a Pig in Mud"...Sweet Lynn sent us over for a PEEK at your post! I am definitely MAKING THIS and I'll be sure to DOUBLE IT!!! Thank you!
Have a wonderful week,
Donna

TSC Girl said...

I want to can this recipe. Does anyone know which canning method would be better? Pressure cooker or hot water bath?

Anonymous said...

Wow-sie wo wo! This looks great - I'm late to the party but can not wait try this bad boy. Thanks for sharing.

Biff

Alex Smith said...

I have seen recipes for this before and I don't know why I have never attempted it before... must rectify that!!!
Air Conditioning repair Kenosha WI