all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, February 10, 2012

Chile-Dusted Shrimp with Quick Corn Relish


The sugar, in the spice rub here, caramelizes during cooking and turns the shrimp a nice golden-brown color. 

This is a recipe adapted from Cooking Light.  The shrimp has a mild spicy taste and the vegetable mix has a sort of sweet-sour flavor to even the spicy shrimp.  The original recipe had 2 additional chile powders:  ancho and chipotle.  Bill is not crazy about so much of it, so I just used the traditional chili powder.  A can of Del Monte Fiesta Corn with red and green peppers would be great; omit the pimentos. 

We were pleasantly surprised with this dish; it’s really delicious ~ I will be making it again soon!







Chile-Dusted Shrimp with Quick Corn Relish
Adapted

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
½ cup onion, chopped
½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons pimentos
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon roasted ground ginger
1 (15-ounce) can whole-kernel corn
1½ tablespoons cider vinegar
1½ pounds peeled and deveined shrimp

Method:

Combine chili powder, sugar, salt and seasoned pepper in a shallow dish.
Add shrimp to spice mixture and stir well to coat.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and ginger to pan.
Sauté for 3 minutes.
Add corn and pimentos to pan and cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in vinegar; cook 30 seconds.
Transfer corn mixture to a bowl.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
Add shrimp to pan.
Sauté 3 minutes or until done, turning once.
Serve over corn mixture.

It’s really scrumptious and quick too!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, My Kind of Cooking.  She's hosting a giveaway now for one of her cookbooks and cute kitchen towels!






Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Colors of this dish are stunning: reach, beautiful, exquisite. LOve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love adding a new shrimp recipe!! AND...love the new blog look, friend! Great job!! Though, I do miss the cherries.....sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. a great looking dish...very colorful and packed with all kinds of delicious foods. can't wait to give it a try. We love shrimp!
    Have a great day and a fabulous weekend..

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, you are so creative! I love how you give us suggestions on how to change up the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything with shrimp floats my boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shrimp can stand up to some "heat". This looks delicious. Are you in the snow "area"? We are and I'm off to get the poor dog a bone and stock the cupboard.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Que gran plato te ha quedado.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marina, thanks! It's a colorful dish, for sure!

    Susan, great! This was really good and I love the spiciness. Thanks about the new blog look!

    Shug, thanks, glad you like it.

    Linda, thank you! It's amazing how most recipes can be changed up, except for baked goods.

    Stephen, mine too!

    Bonnie, LOL! Yes, we're getting plenty of snow. The plow is going down the street as I type. Very windy, sleet for a while and very slippery roads this afternoon. Stay in, safe and warm!

    Diane, thanks. It does!

    jose manuel, gracias! Espero que usted cocine los camarones. Es bien.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My shrimp loving husband will love this. We will definitely try it. I love Cooking Light. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adore shrimps! I prepared something similar before, without chilli though. Must try your recipe soon. Looks really appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I m loving this with the quick corn relish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pam, I am new to your blog. Shrimp and corn are two of my favourite foods and they look so yummy together :-)
    Cheers,
    Suchi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Cooking light Pam and this recipe is right up my alley and being saved.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Pam, this looks and sounds divine! I once made an Asian shrimp dish with honey as a sweetener, so I just know the addition of a little sugar really kicked the dish up another notch of delicious!

    P.S. My grandmother is in Louisville. Which is a huge adjustment for somenoe who lived in Boston nearly 75 years of her life. She's not used to the quiet and leisure. =)

    Love to you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like everything about this one and I plan to try it out on the grill. I'll grill corn on the cob and roast some peppers for the veggies and then quickly grill the shrimp on skewers. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like that sweet and spicy combo! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Penny, yes! I like CL also, lots of great recipes to try.

    Angie, thanks! It's good!

    bellini, the corn relish tastes great with the shrimp.

    Suchi, thank you and welcome to my blog! I'm happy you stopped by and I will be paying you a visit soon!

    Ree, it's great to see you here, I know you're busy with that cute new baby boy! That honey in shrimp sounds good to me. Oh my gosh, that's a whole other world for your grandmother. Hope she is adjusting to the move well and that she likes hot, humid summers. Hugs your way.

    Chris, I surely could go for that and I'll have to try it that way once the snow is off the grill and deck and it warms up some. It has warmed up to the 20's today!

    Jenn, great! I hope you do and that you and Chris like it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Pam! This looks terrific! I'm allergic to shrimp, but I be this would be great with chicken, too! GREAT flavors!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam