all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, February 24, 2012

Cheesy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Chives with Snow



I’m a potato lover from way back, but not crazy about mashed potatoes; even Mom’s years ago.  Mom always got rave reviews for her mashed potatoes and she never allowed any one else in her kitchen to assist in the process.  I never knew her secret for them… 


On the other hand, Bill loves lumpy mashed potatoes like his mom used to make.  I could tolerate them a little better since there was more texture to them.  Then along came smashed potatoes.  






Smashed potatoes are perfect for us!  I like the consistency and Bill gets the lumps!  This is a great side dish of cheesy smashed potatoes flavored with garlic and chives.  There is a plethora of ways to make smashed potatoes and this is our favorite.  Simply delicious potatoes!


Cheesy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Chives   

Ingredients:
                                                                                                                      
4 Idaho baking potatoes, peeled or unpeeled and cut into cubes
3 garlic cloves, quartered
1/3 cup warm buttermilk
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon chopped chives
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper

Method:



Place potatoes and garlic in large saucepan, adding enough water to cover and bring to a boil.
Boil gently 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes break apart easily when pierced with fork.  Drain well.
Return potatoes and garlic to saucepan.
Shake saucepan gently over low heat for 1 or 2 minutes to evaporate any excess moisture.
Mash potatoes and garlic with back of spoon or potato masher, leaving some potato pieces in chunks.
Add all remaining ingredients and mix gently.


YUM!



By the way, we have 6” of very heavy wet snow this morning and we just got rid of some of it…






If it's 80 degrees and sunny where you are, I wish we were there with you!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and recipes.   She’s having an awesome giveaway now!




Pin It

25 comments:

  1. Oh I love the texture of your smashed potatoes!Looks delicious and tasty with those chives, cheese and pepper.Stay warm my friend.Here in the east coast we'are enjoying the mildest winter after a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dish looks really good and just the way we would love it. Our snow has melted mostly but it is a grey and dreary day here today! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing how food preferences can be so particular. Lumpy, smooth? Just give me a potato. I'll eat it right out of the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful snow scene - instead of blowing the wet stuff, I'd think a fort, snowman, or snowball fight would be in order - invite the neighborhood kids over, provide hot chocolate and tell them all balls must be made from the snow on the driveway. As for the potatoes, they sound delicious - I like them whipped, mashed,smashed, lightly smashed - you get the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful comfort recipe! I am printing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is actually above 80 degrees here today. Funny the kids at school here have outdorr P.E. class and I always get some visiting the clinic when it's hot and humid like today! Your snow photos are pretty to look at!

    I was never a potato fan when I was a kid even my mom's mashed potaotes. I too like the idea of smashed one. My daughter is the one who likes them every which way and I would let her make them, she liked them with Herbs de Provence! I like them with cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, this is the perfect comfort food when surrounded with snow! It looks absolutely worth every single calorie and fat gram! Don't you just love adding buttermilk to recipes? Instant richness. Hugs as you dig out. We have flurries today, but nothing like what you have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soni, thanks! It really has been a mild winter here too with little snow, until now.

    Diane, bet you're as ready for spring as I am. This is a pretty snow though with it being heavy and clinging to the trees, fences, etc.

    Stephen, yup, picky, picky! I eat just about anything, but am not crazy about "smooth" foods; pudding, custard, jello, etc.

    Larry, cool idea and I'm sure the kids would've loved it! But, they're in school today. There has to be a foot or more of snow before they call school off here, and it may be "iffy" then. I will remember what you said the next time it snows on the weekend!

    Bernideen, you'll love it, I bet!

    Lyndsey, you make me soooo jealous all the time with your warm weather and the beach and ocean pics. lol!!! Bet some of your kids would like to be playing in this snow. What a difference from one end of the country to the other! We definitely agree on the potatoes.

    corgidogmama, yes, buttermilk really adds to it. I'd be glad to send some snow your way if I knew how. I think all of this went north of you to South Bend area, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam,

    These smashed potatoes sound just great! I love the consistency of smashed potatoes too...and with the garlic and cheese, what can go wrong! As for snow, we haven't even had an inch of snow...in total...all winter! Take Care, Big Daddy Davei

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is comfort food at its' best.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ps. We just got an inch or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Que aspecto más sabroso tiene.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  12. BURRR loooook at that snow of dear girl! I love these kind of cheesy potatoes what great comforting foods during those days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Pam, loved the cheesy potatoes! Nice to discover your blog, I share the same love for cookbooks :) Will come back for more later!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was mid 70's here today, but then the day ended with Tornado watches so you may have been better off with your snow:-). These potatoes sound A-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love mashed potatoes, smashed potatoes, any kind of potatoes. Yours look extra yummy!

    We have had barely any snow in Boston this year; I miss it a little:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. 80 and sunny.....I wish!!! I am definitely making these for dinner tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum - so good! Whenever my sons are in we always have these faves. They are now in charge of the potato detail. No large amounts of snow here since our Halloween Nor'easter. :)
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love potatoes in any form and these sound fantastic! And the snow is beautiful. We haven't had much snow this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dave, thanks and lucky you! No snow here would suit me fine!

    Glenda, thanks! Yeah, we're a little further north.

    jose manuel, gracias y tenga un buen dia.

    Claudia, thanks! BURRRR is right! It's very windy and cold today.

    Ambika, welcome! It's nice to "meet" you and I appreciate you stopping by!

    Becki, yes, you're right! We lived in Louisville when that tornado went through in 1974; they're definitely bad weather!

    Raina, thanks! Wish I could pass some of this snow your way!

    Leslie, I want to be there!!!

    JG, isn't it great when the sons cook! Amazing with the mild winter your way also.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like all kinds of mashed potatoes and we vary the consistency. Sometimes I make them smooth, sometimes more like yours, sometimes with a lot of skin left on for rustic style.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chris, I really like the rustic style! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perfection in a bowl. I also love potatoes especially with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ah. here is always raining for almost 2days but now i guess its stop right now.
    I think your smashed potatoes is good. great texture, maybe i should try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the snow.. it reminds me why I still live in the desert!! :)
    The potatoes look and sound really good...I think I made this once when I was first learning how to cook, but it was by total accident! lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love smashed potatoes! I usually don't peel them, saving me some time and making it a super quick recipe. I like the addition of warm buttermilk in your recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam