all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, February 20, 2012

Bourbon-Soaked Pork Tenderloin with Brown Sugar Honey Glaze ~ a Cookbook ~ and Distilleries


If you like a lingering bourbon flavor in meat, you will have to use this marinade the next time you prepare pork.  The bourbon flavor comes through just enough to notice but not enough to overpower the meat.





One of my very favorite Southern cookbooks is The New Low-County Cooking by Marvin Woods.  The jacket liner of his cookbook says, “There’s a whole world of flavor packed into an eighty-plus-square-mile area surrounding the cities of Charleston and Savannah.  It’s called the Low Country of South Carolina.”  It’s a great area to visit for cuisine and beautiful scenery.  Marvin Woods transforms standards into updated dishes, which leads to this recipe for Bourbon-Soaked Pork Tenderloin.  Actually, his recipe is intended for pork chops but I had pork tenderloin and used it instead.  









The marinade in this recipe is a super tenderizer for the pork with the end product being tender and succulent.  If you are apprehensive about using bourbon, substitute it with apple, cranberry or grape juice, sparkling cider, vegetable or chicken broth.  After the pork marinates for 36 hours or so, it can go on the grill, as Woods does, or in the oven, my way.  Then brush it several times with the Brown Sugar Honey Glaze while roasting.  






Bourbon is really the only distinct American spirit, according to Woods, with most of it coming from Kentucky.  I know that for a fact as I grew up in Louisville, and there are countless distilleries in the surrounding area.  Check out this post that was made just after I began blogging. 

I learned a lot about bourbon as a great family friend was a Federal inspector over-seeing many distilleries ~~~ he had so many stories for us and samples too, in unlabeled bottles!





Bourbon-Soaked Pork Tenderloin with Brown Sugar Honey

 1 (2 pounds) boneless pork tenderloin
Bourbon marinade
Brown Sugar Honey Glaze

For the bourbon marinade:

1 cup bourbon
¾ cup orange juice
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt



In medium bowl, stir together all the marinade ingredients.
Place the tenderloin in a deep baking dish.
Pour the marinade mixture over the pork, cover, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 36 hours, turning occasionally.

Remove from refrigerator and place in roasting pan.
Roast pork for about 40 minutes or until thermometer inserted into center of pork registers 160 degrees.
During the last 10 minutes, brush with the Brown Sugar Honey Glaze several times.


Brown Sugar Honey Glaze:

¾ cup honey
¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Marv Spice*

Method:

In a saucepan, combine the honey and brown sugar and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar is dissolved. 
Stir in all the remaining ingredients.
Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 months.

Marvin Woods:  This flavorful sauce with an Asian accent can be used in place of most barbecue sauces.  I especially like it on spare ribs, pork and lamb.


*Recipe for Marv Spice:

1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon celery salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Method:

In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together until combined.
Store in airtight container for up to 6 months.

Marvin Woods:  I use this spice mixture in my macaroni and cheese as well as in fish, chicken and meat dishes that I feel can use a touch of inspiration.

 This is especially delicious for all you pork and bourbon lovers!

ENJOY!!!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda, at My Kind of Cooking!  She’s hosting a great giveaway now ~ one of her cookbooks and cute kitchen towels.







Pin It

38 comments:

  1. Mmm...I'm a big bourbon fan, and love to find new ways to season pork. I should use this next time. It sounds like a great cookbook, I want it! :D I am making that spice mix too...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds magical, I have all the ingredients in the house other than the Bourbon. Never looked for it in France but I am sure it must be around :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of all of the ingredients and the number one meat of choice for me is Pork, so this makes for a great combination...sounds Gooood to me!
    Have a blessed day.
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks and sounds delicious! we love a good grilled tenderloin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good grilled tenderloin and yours looks delicious.
    That sounds like a great cookbook to have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all for almost everything you propose here. The variation is that I will marinate the pork in bourbon by drinking it before, during, and after cooking it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I really need to prepare more pork. I love bourbon also.....hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can imagine the great flavor here, came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lyndsey, the spice is a unique blend, guess it's the nutmeg that really makes it different and I use it often. It sounds like to me, you'd really like pork prepared this way!

    Diane, it is! I would think bourbon would be available by you, if not use whiskey.

    Shug, thanks! The meat tastes great! You have a blessed day also.

    Martha, thanks! Pork tenderloin hits the spot for sure.

    Lynda, thank you! I really like the cookbook. Lots of good recipes like gumbo and ribs!

    Stephen, that sounds like a fun methodical way to marinade. I'll drink to that!

    Susan, I didn't know it before this recipe, what a great marriage pork and bourbon is!

    Jennifurla, you got it. Hope you're having a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I don't drink, I love the flavor alcohol leaves to meat. The marinade is super delicious and so is the pork Pam! Beautiful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marinating for up to 36 hours? Oh yea, that pork is full of amazing flavors for sure! I think it might be time for me to buy some bourbon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brown.Sugar.Honey.Glaze.

    i feel like I could drink that,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christine, thanks!

    Katerina, there's lots of great flavors with this.

    Jenn, I was surprised with that too but all that marinating time really made it tender and tasty.

    Joanne, lol! It sounds like a good plan to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. An interesting book and a lovely recipe! That pork tenderloin looks divine.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the color of the pork.Gorgeous!!Spicy and Bourbon,what's not to love!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rosa, thanks! It's a great cookbook.

    Soni, thank you and have a good evening!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pam this is right up my alley the only way to make this dish is with bourbon love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bourbon marinade sounds awesome with this! I'll bet that has a fantastic flavor. The glaze sounds super too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great swap out with pork loin instead of pork chops. I love pork loin recipes and this one looks like it is full of flavor! I am going to have to check that book out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Book sounds great! I love bourbon in a glaze, looks delicious on the pork.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bet that bourbon does magical things to a pork loin and the honey glaze sounds wonderful. Bookmarked this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm always looking for a good pork recipe and this looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing, and I'm going to check out Wood's cookbook, and visit your friends blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ahmm.. looks so delicious so perfect and classy :).
    thanks for sharing it help me a lot thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds really good Pam and I'd say that following a 36 hour bourbon soak, that was one happy piece of pork

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well fan me now and pass me a fork. I've been itchin' to grill a tenderloin and this recipe looks too good to pass up.

    Thanks sweetie!!!

    God bless ya and have an amazin' day!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Pam... that looks and sounds amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love to find new recipe for Pork tenderloin; it is often on our menu; this one sure looks wonderful; pinning this one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounding delish!
    Looks good too.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pam, this may be our dinner tomorrow!! It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  30. perfect! added to my list now :)
    it really looks delicious thanks i click this blogsite.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Claudia, thanks, I'm glad you like it.

    Debbie, thank you and have a good day.

    Linda, it's definitely an interesting cookbook.

    Carol, me too. It gives it lots of good flavor.

    Cathy, great! Hope you try it and like it.

    Ocean, wonderful! You'll see it's all good stuff.

    Kirby, thank you! It's so delicious.

    Larry, absolutely! And good too. lol

    Nezzy, wish we could get the grill out for the tenderloin. More snow on the way tonight. God bless you too and have a fun day.

    Pam, thanks. It's a great tasting tenderloin.

    Rita, thanks! We have it fairly often also. Good source of protein and lean.

    Melinda, thank you. I'm glad you stopped by!

    Lizzy, you will have a good then! Wish I could be at your table! Enjoy!

    lupe, thank you! It was great of you to stop by and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Omg, that is one awesome marinade! Looks scrumptious and I love the spices, too! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love pork but have never made a pork tenderloin! Guest thi recipe for my fiest try would be a great place to start...sounds awesome! Deb@http://healthycomfort.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Pork and bourbon are a great team. I actually don't drink liquor but think the taste of bourbon is fantastic with food, especially grilled or broiled items.

    Your pork looks so tasty Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Can one be in love with a glaze. I am. That is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam