all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, January 30, 2012

Shrimp with Andouille and Angel Hair Pasta






For a change of pace, Andouille sausage is delicious ~ add some shrimp and seasonings and you’re sure to enjoy a tasty meal! 

Andouille sausage is French in origin, having a unique spicy flavor, being made primarily from pork, garlic, red and black peppers, wine and onions.  It is cased in a blackened skin, and then is heavily smoked over pecan logs and sugar cane.  It can be served cold, in slices, as an hors d’oeuvre; however, it is mainly used in Cajun and Creole dishes such as jambalaya and gumbo. 

Cajun cuisine is one of our favorites and always reminds us of NOLA ~ actually, I can’t get enough of either of them.  Serving it over angel hair pasta is pretty great!


Shrimp with Andouille and Angel Hair Pasta

Ingredients:

8 ounces angel hair pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ pound Andouille sausage, cut into ¼” slices
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup salsa verde
4 teaspoons flour
1½ cups chicken broth
¼ cup heavy cream
1 pound shrimp, deveined and peeled
3 green onions, sliced into thin rounds for garnish

Method:

To a large skillet, add olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add Andouille sausage and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add garlic to skillet and cook for 30 seconds.
Stir flour into drippings until dissolved.
Whisk in broth and cream and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, drain well and set aside.
Add salsa to broth mixture in skillet and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
Transfer sausage to skillet.
Add shrimp and cook until shrimp are opaque, about 3-5 minutes.
To serve:  Place pasta on a plate, top with shrimp mixture and sprinkle green onions over all.


DELICIOUS!!!



Go visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for excellent tips and recipes.  This is the last day to enter her great giveaway for “Joy Bauer’s Food Cures” book!





Pin It

24 comments:

  1. I made made dishes sort of like this over the years. I am dismayed by how many recipes all you, my blogger buddies, have posted in the last couple of days that leave me limp as a noodle with desire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DELICIOUS!!! is exactly how it looks and sounds and I fill put it with my low-cal dishes to try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having been raised in New England, Southern food isn't something that I had a lot of. This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If is is Cajun I know it will be good; great memories of N'awlins.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell from the rich color how wonderful this must be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had Andouille sausage last night but not with shrimp :( Next time :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, Great recipe with some of my favorite ingredients... I am really hungry now! Nothing like a little heat and spice with one's food... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to have to keep a lookout for this sausage it sounds delicious, actually the whole dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andouille sausage is the bomb!! I can't seem to find a really good kind out here, but that doesn't mean I haven't stopped looking. Now it's a must that I find it.. I need to make this dish very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephen, you said it! It's drooling time!

    Larry, thanks! It's good and easy too!

    Karen, lots of good food up that way, I'd like to have, esp. Boston baked beans and New England clam chowder!

    Rita, thanks! Glad you like it.

    Jennifurla, it's packed with flavor and quick to make.

    jose manuel, gracias! Que tengas un buen dia.

    Diane, great! Now I'm wondering how you prepared it.

    Dave, you're right! Love it when there's a little heat; and just wish it was outside too!

    Brownieville Girl, I hope you find it. Andouille definitely has a unique taste, spicy and good.

    Jenn, keep looking! It's carried in most grocery stores here but, the best is at the Italian butcher in our town! It's so delicious, the bomb!

    Claudia, thanks! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make something similar using Italian sausage. I hate to say it, but I like your version better! My husband would love the Anduille sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Pam, This sounds like a creamy and comforting dish! I know my family would absolutely love it. Blessings dear one, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely and delicious!I love andouille sausages.So flavorful and tasty!Happy to be following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow, what rich and delicious flavors, i love this pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - this sounds so incredibly flavorful and the dish looks great! Love some spicy sausage:-) Plus it's over pasta - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Andouille Sausage, it goes perfect with this dish. This dish sounds spicy and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pam. Wish I could have a taste..looks absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds so good - wish I was having it for dinner tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing recipe. This truly sounds delicious,Pam. It has just moved to the top of my to-do list. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh darlin', I'll eat anything with pasta. I'm addicted!!!

    Last night I was grillin' the blackened wild salmon and makin' Cajun pasta with peas and sun-dried tomatoes sided with grilled garlic bread, it hit me that we'd had pasta the night before. Duh!!!

    Spaghetti of all things, how could I forget. I apologized repeatedly for my mistake but Farm Boy lapped it up anyway. Heeehehehe!

    The dish looks amazin' sweetie.

    God bless ya and have a grand day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Linda, thanks! I think it would be great with Italian sausage. Good and spicy!

    Catherine, thanks and here's hoping you're having a great day! Blessings

    Carol, thanks for the visit!

    Soni, thanks so much! It's a pleasure to "meet" you and I will be visiting you soon. Hugs

    teresa, thanks, it's good!

    Becki, yes. Love it over pasta. Thanks for stopping by!

    Words Of Deliciousness, I agree. Andouille and shrimp are the perfect marriage.

    What's Baking?? Thanks! That's the way I am, I'd like a taste at about every food blog I visit. lol

    Deborah, thank you! Have a good evening!

    Mary, thanks so much and blessings to you also.

    Nezzy, I want to come to your house for dinner, love that pasta and I make it every chance I get. Good fuel for winter weather! God bless you too and have a great rest of the week, year, and forever!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam