all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, January 6, 2012

Robust Beef Tenderloin Tips









I love beef and am always on the lookout for recipes using a cut that is lower in fat.

Beef tenderloin tips are perfect for that.  From filet mignon, the cut tapers at one end down the tenderloin.  It’s too small for nice steaks so is cut into “tips” which are used in stir fries, stews and so forth; rendering a cut that is much less costly than filets. Nutritionally, tenderloin tips are high in protein, moderately low in fat, and a source of great flavor. 

Like the filets, the cut takes well to quick methods of cooking.  This recipe has some of my favorite ingredients ~ beef, mushrooms, garlic and tomatoes with a little bourbon to round out the flavors.  The demi-glace is savory delicious and I hope you try this and like it as much as we do!


Robust Beef Tenderloin Tips

Ingredients:

2 pounds beef tenderloin tips
1 tablespoon butter
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
½ cup dry red wine
½ cup Jim Beam bourbon
1 (14-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
2 teaspoons sugar

Method:

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add garlic, onions and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms have released their juices and onions are tender.
Remove from pan and set aside.
Add beef tips to skillet and cook quickly until browned.
Season with salt and pepper.
Remove meat to side with the mushrooms.
Scrape bottom of skillet.
Deglaze the skillet, scraping up any browned bits, and add wine and bourbon.
Allow mixture to boil for a minute or two.
Add tomatoes and sugar and stir well.
Place meat and mushrooms into skillet and combine all.
Turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. 
Serve with mashed potatoes and a tossed salad.

Delicious!!!



Please take a minute to look at the giveaway I posted on January 5th!  There is a discount code for purchasing the software and you can enter the contest for a chance to win the creative, fun software!



Visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for excellent tips and recipes. She’s having a great give away now also!!!






Pin It

22 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

Lovely meal looks wonderful

Velva said...

I love beef when it is served up hearty like this- It comforting and warm. Great winter dish.

Velva

Pixie Polish said...

I have tried a couple of your recipes so far and myself and my family loved them. I am saving this one. My husband is a beef fan and this seems like something he'd like. (well, with the exceptions of the mushrooms...he doesn't like those.. but I do.. and I refuse to remove them from the recipe, lol)

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Beef tips are one of my favorite ways to have beef. I usually fix it with mushrooms and onions. I will have to change things up and try it your way next time.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

I do believe that I could make some serious brownie points with Jim with this recipe! Wowsers, it looks good!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

This looks delicious you get so many cuts over there that we never hear of. Diane

Pam said...

Torviewtoronto, thanks! It's easy to prepare and good.

Velva, you're right! It's in the 50's here today though and that is really unusual for this time of year.

Pixie Polish, that's great to hear and makes me really happy! Thanks so much for letting me know and I hope this one is a hit also. I love mushrooms and toss them into a dish whenever I can. lol Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Linda, I'm sure yours are always good! This recipe just spices it up a bit.

corgidogmama, hope you try it! If you're anything like me, you'll take all the brownie points you can get.

Diane, there are plenty of cuts here I've never heard of and learn about them from the blogs. This recipe would work with any cut that's tender.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Looks absolutely amazing! I love a delicious beef dish! Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

Mary

Heather @ girlichef.com said...

Oh, I haven't had beef tips in a long time...and i love them. These look wonderful and now I'm starving!

Danelle said...

My husband is always asking for more beef dishes, and I know he will love this one!

Lyndsey said...

Robust is such a good word to discribe beef. We enjoy beef too, but usually just steaks. I love this for tenderloin tips.

katiez said...

I love this dish.... I'll have to figure out how to get some tenderloin tips.... Happy New Year! Glad to see you back (and that everything is good)

Chris said...

When I do buy a beef tenderloin, trimming it down leaves me with the "chain of bull" and tips, both would work well in this recipe.

Although, it's hard not to grind that awesome beef into amazing burgers, lol.

Pam said...

Mary, glad you like it!

Heather, thank you!

Danelle, I know what you mean!

Lyndsey, yes steaks and burgers on the grill!

katiez, thanks so much! Here's wishing you a wonderful 2012!

Chris, I had to Google "chain of bull." This is a perfect example of why I love blogging; learning something new every day from all of you. That's pretty great, thanks!

Marguerite said...

This dish just looks out of this world, especially the demi-glace with the bourbon. Yum!. Can't wait to try it! Thanks for another great recipe!

Pam said...

Marguerite, thanks! Have a great rest of the weekend!

Pegasuslegend said...

Amazing flavors in this what a great way to start off the new year with a toast from the roast! YUM!!

Pam said...

Claudia, thanks and have a great evening!

Jenn said...

Oh WOW, that sounds absolutely wonderful Pam! I mean it might be the fact you use wine AND bourbon, but whatever :)

Monet said...

I have been looking for a few more beef recipes. This is such a delicious way to begin my morning. I'm drooling just thinking about how great these tips must have tasted. Thank you for sharing with me...and warm wishes for the new week!

Mary said...

Pam, this sound fabulous. I love the use of bourbon in this recipe. I'll wager these tips were flavorful in the extreme. I love big flavors. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Kay said...

Stewed tomatoes? Same as just a can of plain diced tomatoes?