all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chicken Kapama ~ Greek Chicken Stew






I fell under a Greek spell for the first time, many years ago, at Greek Islands restaurant on Halsted Street in Chicago.  Think Greek ~ you know ~ azure blue sky, turquoise sea, the warmth of sunshine on pure white buildings; and the FOOD; Greek Cuisine:  moussaka, gigantes, melitzana ima, baklava, saganaki, dolmathes, skewered kabobs and now kapama.

Stewed chicken or “kotopoulo kapama” is a colorful, hearty dish that can be made on the stove-top or in a slow cooker. The dish consists of chicken combined with plenty of tomatoes, garlic, onions and lemon juice.  Adding pungent cinnamon, gives depth to the succulent stew, enlivening the flavors.  You can guess what the benefit of this simmering pot is ~ it’s the fragrant spicy aroma wafting through the air in your kitchen! 

This dish is a heart-healthy chicken dish that is low in calories, fat and cholesterol.  Serve the stew piping hot over orzo or pasta with a tossed green salad on the side.  The bonus is that Chicken Kapama can be made a day ahead and will taste as good, if not better.  Just be sure to have some crusty bread on the side to sop up all the sauce!


Chicken Kapama

Ingredients:

3 pounds chicken pieces
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups tomatoes, crushed
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
½ cup water
Juice of 1 lemon (3-4 tablespoons)

Method:

Combine salt, pepper and cinnamon and dredge chicken.
Place olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Add garlic and onion and cook for a minute.  Remove and set aside.
Brown chicken on all sides in Dutch oven.
Return garlic and onions to Dutch oven.
In a bowl, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, water and lemon juice.
Pour mixture over chicken.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
Cook covered for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
Serve chicken and sauce over orzo, rice, noodles or spaghetti.


ENJOY!!!


Please take a minute to look at the giveaway I posted on January 5th!  There is a discount code for purchasing the software and you can enter the contest for a chance to win the creative, fun software!





Visit my friend, Linda’s blog, @My Kind of Cooking for excellent tips and recipes. She’s having a great give away now also!!!






Pin It

24 comments:

  1. We love Greek Islands too! This dish sounds delicious--especially on a cold snowy day. If we ever get a cold snowy day. I'm not complaining though!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Greek food, so this is a must try; true comfort food. we are freezing up here.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, Living now in East Tennessee, we don't have much of a chance to dine out and enjoy Greek food. Chicago does spoil a person for this cuisine. Greek Islands is fine but our choice in Greektown was Santorini. Thanks for the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Este pollo se ve fantastico.

    Te deseo un feliz año

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds just delightful love these types of spice with chicken yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, I'm not complaining either! This weather is great! Glad you like Greek Islands too! Opa and the best to you!

    Rita, thanks! It's in the low 50's now but, Wednesday night is supposed to turn cold and bring snow. Yuch!

    Dave, there are so many ethnic restaurants around here and I'm so glad you mentioned Santorini. I've not been there but it's on the list to go since you mentioned it! Happy 2012!

    jose manuel, gracias! Este pollo es facil y delicioso!

    Claudia, thanks! The cinnamon flavor blends wonderfully with chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pam...this sounds good and it looks like it might be easy to make...the ingredients are my kind of stuff, so I'm pretty certain I would love it...
    I appreciate you for sharing all the delicious recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this looks delicious! Did my post make you want "Greek?" I can't wait to make this!

    Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a comforting dish Pam. Tomatoes just seem to go so well with a chicken stew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A friend of mine has a recipe very similar to this that she gave me last year that I never tried... I need to stop wasting time! It looks and sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your twist on kapama Pam! All the ingredients you used are favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shug, it is really easy and good too, so I hope you try it. Thanks for stopping by!

    MaryBeth, it is! Glad to "see" you!

    Mary, yes! I saw your mac and cheese. Yum!

    bellini, thanks! I so agree about the tomatoes.

    Christine, thank you!

    Jenn, you have to try it. I know you love chicken! lol

    Katerina, I'm sure you know best about it and I would love to have a meal cooked by you! This version is pretty tasty! Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Pam, I love your description of Greece. Sounds lovely. This chicken also sounds perfect to go along with the setting you have envisioned. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Greek flavours so I know I would love this. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catherine, thank you! Glad you liked it and hope you have a great day!

    Diane, yes! Then you would like this. A good day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your chicken dish sure looks delicious, like the addition of cinnamon.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week Pam :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Juliana, thank you! And I hope you have a good day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great recipe, Pam! We love Greek food. Every time we go to Denver, we eat at a restaurant called, Pete's Greek Town.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum, the aroma of this simmering away in a crock pot sounds heavenly. This is a good weekend for some tasty comfort food. Snow is in the forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never heard of it but I absolutely adore the flavors in it. Now just to figure out how to get it on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know little about Greek food. All I know - this sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam