all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, December 16, 2011

Mom’s Spinach Cakes and Dad’s Gardening





Mom must’ve really liked spinach as there are quite a few spinach recipes in her recipe box, but I don’t remember it being served much at suppertime when I was a kid. 

Surely, she served it though, because Dad was one for eating healthy vegetables, especially dark green ones, and he had several large gardens to provide them.  Dad loved trying something new ~ different varieties of vegetables in his gardens and had quite the compost piles too.  Have you ever seen steam rising from a cooking pile of compost?

Anyway, when I came across this spinach recipe of Mom’s, I had to try it.  It contains one teaspoon of Accent----what is it and do they even make it anymore?  Wait until you see what else is in the recipe ~ I’m sure it’s a recipe that Paula Deen would endorse.  It’s filled with BUTTER!!!  That’s the way it was back then---butter was a wonderful thing and it still is for me, but to a lesser degree. 

Mom formed them into cakes; I cut back on the butter and form them into balls.  They’re great for a side dish and as an appetizer also during this time of year.   What’s more, they can be prepared and frozen a week or two in advance to minimize holiday preparations.  These little spinach bundles are delicious; no matter if they’re balls or cakes!

Here’s Mom’s recipe:


Mom’s Spinach Cakes

Ingredients:

1 pound chopped spinach, cooked and drained
2 cups Pepperidge Farm Stuffing Mix
1 onion, chopped
1¼ sticks butter, melted
½ cup Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Accent (I omitted it because I don’t even know what it is!)

Method:

Slightly cook spinach and drain well.
Mix all ingredients together.
Take up mixture with an ice cream scoop (I used my hands to form the mixture) and round into patties.  (I kept them in a ball shape.)
Put on cookie sheet and place in refrigerator until ready to bake.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
These may be made ahead and frozen.  If solidly frozen, allow a little longer to baking time.
Makes 8-10 spinach cakes or balls


It’s a tasty way to eat your spinach!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @
My Kind of Cooking
 for great tips and recipes. 






14 comments:

Susan said...

I remember this well. Used to call it spinach balls and Accent is an old ingredients...MSG, I believe, and no one needs this. Used to LOVE these and so did the kids.

Velva said...

I remember Accent...In fact, it was a big deal to use it. If I am not mistaken, it was MSG, no? I think they still sell it.

I just started gardening and its amazing. I can imagine the pleasure your dad experienced.

The spinach cakes look really good.

Velva

Karen said...

I love spinach balls! Yes they still make Accent and there is no real flavor to it. It's purely MSG. I see no reason to use it.

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

They look delicious! I always omitted Accent as well!

Amish Stories said...

Interesting recipe as i love spinach, although i hated it as a kid. Man did i miss out on a lot! Richard

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Accent was in so many older recipes. Who needs the extra sodium? These look great!

Pam said...

Susan, I agree about the Accent. The spinach balls are fine without it!

Velva, thanks! Good luck with your gardening! It definitely beats grocery store veggies.

Karen, I'll see if I can find it in the store sometime. I do remember the MSG controversy years ago and am thinking it was mainly in Oriental food.

Carol, they are good but that's a lot of butter!

Richard, funny how most kids don't like spinach... They don't know what they're missing! lol

Savoring Time in the Kitchen, you're right! I try to avoid it as much as I can.

Joanne said...

Mmm I LOVE spinach so I'll definitely be trying these out!

Big Dude said...

What a great idea and we occasionally still use Accent.

Lyndsey said...

These sounds good! Perfect way to eat spinach! I am sure they still make Accent. You'd be amazed on what you can still find out there. I ran across a box of Dream Whip the other day...my mom used to make this fruit salad that I loved as a kid with that. Ha! I just remembered that!

Monet said...

I love spinach too! Can't wait to give this a try! I hope you are having a relaxing Sunday, my friend. I'm about to begin a week of baking, traveling and celebrating with family. Much love and many blessings.

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Hi Pam - Accent is MSG and used to be an ingredient you would find in everyone's pantry. It's a flavor enhancer and can cause a reaction in many people. I get a severe headache when I eat food that contains it so I try to be careful about where I eat. Happiest holiday best wishes to you and your family.

kitchen flavours said...

These looks delicious! Isn't it wonderful to have found a delicious recipe like this!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I have never had Spinach Cakes, but they look and sound delicious! Thanks for sharing your mom's recipe.