all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, December 19, 2011

Fried Apples My Way


Oooops!  Forgot to take pic after cooking!



There is a bushel full of theories about the origin of apples, but we all remember the story of John Chapman, or Johnny Appleseed as the legend goes, who was born in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1774 and died in Ft. Wayne, Indiana in March, 1845. 

He was liked for his kind, generous ways and for planting apple seeds along his travels around the country ~ over a 50 year period, buying and selling land and developing thousands of productive apple trees.  His dream was to produce so many apples that no one would ever go hungry.  


                                           Johnny Appleseed, postcard, 1972


I’ve always been crazy about apples ~ especially, baked apples, until I made fried apples; they’re even better!  Fried apples are not quite apple pie but a close second.  Perhaps, most folks think of fried apples as a dessert; but in my mind, it's a side dish.  This is a simple, seasonal food that is packed with flavor.

Cook the apples just until they are fork tender.  They can quickly surrender and turn to mush, so watch them closely.  It’s as easy as apple pie!



Fried Apples

Ingredients:

4 apples:  2 Granny Smith and 2 Honeycrisp
½ teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar (I use Splenda)
Dash salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Dash nutmeg

Method:

Melt butter in skillet.
Drizzle lemon juice over apples.
Cover and cook about 15-20 minutes or until tender.  (Watch closely; they can turn to mush quickly).
Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg, and toss.
Serve warm or room temperature, maybe with a dollop of whipped cream.


Be sure to take time to check out my friend, Linda’s, great blog @ My Kind of Cooking for helpful tips and yummy recipes.






Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Que rica forma de comer la manzana, me gusta.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam!! Merry Christmas to you and family. Love the apples...my kind of side dish with a pork roast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too; nothing like a baked apple except maybe this recipe for fried apple.Merry Christmas to you and your family Pam.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to make fried apples, I serve them on top of pork chops and my husband just goes crazy for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumo! I love fried apples. I always get them at "Cracker Barrel" everytime we go there. I consider them a side dish as well...
    Your pictures made me hungry for them right now...
    hugs,
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fried apples! I don't know why I don't make them myself, I love them when my mom makes them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love baked/fried apples! They are really delicious for dessert. Love your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE apples...I literally eat one a day. This would make for such a great addition to any meal. SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We say in Greece one apple per day makes the doctor go away! I love apples and this recipe looks like the right thing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fried apples are delicious and fried apples your way sounds even more delicious!! Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers and hope you have a fantastic Christmas,
    Lia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Side dish, dessert, dinner, breakfast...whenever.. I would eat these and than ask for more!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love serving sauteed apples...especially with pork! Yours sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum! I've never had fried apples, but they sound divine and I will definitely be trying them soon! Thanks for the great recipe! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My family would love apples served as a side dish. I often have a bowl of applesauce on the dinner table and this would be a delicious change.
    Have a wonderful Christmas, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I've ever had fried apples before - gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, one of our favorites, especially when served with pork.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam