all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Corn-in-a-cup From Stephen’s Unorthodox Cookbook


Wednesday morning Haiku for you…


claims he eats like wren

while cooks spam from can superb

and that’s no bird seed!




Before Google
After Google



I’m a little late with this, and had intended on posting it in November but; if you follow my blog, you will remember it was a hectic time at our house then. 

Stephen was inspired to make corn-in-a-cup after having it at Jack-n-Grill in Denver.  I love corn and the name intrigued me, and then I realized that he really didn’t give measurements or directions for it.   I took the plunge, anyway, and whipped the dish together quickly and snapped a couple of photos.  How hard could cooking it be?   A cup of corn, some chile powder, hot sauce and parmesan, easy, easy and actually, pretty good. 

Then, I had second thoughts about it:

If you’re acquainted with Stephen’s blog, The Obsessive Chef, you’re aware of his colorful, entertaining writing and his cookbook is no different.  “Unorthodox” is the word that comes to mind!  I agree with Stephen though, it’s good to “think outside the box” when cooking and exact measurements aren’t needed most of the time, unless you are dealing with baked goods. 

What I’m trying to say is --- this is not your standard cookbook!  Stephen is a little long-winded and rants too; for example:  about the proper temperature for cooked pork.  He stated a blogger roasted herb-crusted pork loin to 165 degrees.  I am “old school” with my mother and Grandma lecturing me about cooking pork until no longer pink (Beware the danger of trichinosis ruining your intestines!)  Since that’s actually no longer a danger, Stephen says, the FDA lowered the temperature to 145 degrees.  I eat beef, as in a roast like prime rib, and hamburgers, and all steaks only until “warm” with the “bloody red juices” flowing; however, on the packaging for the pork loin roasts I buy, it says cook until thermometer reaches 160, which is what I do; we refuse to eat “pink” pork in this house.

Now, back to the corn and my second thoughts; I decided to Google “Jack-n-Grill” for the recipe.  The photo of it there looked nothing like my first attempt, so I made it again with the parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top, as in their photo.  It really made little difference taste wise, other than a tad more parmesan flavor, but I liked the texture better as the cheese wasn’t thoroughly melted in the corn.  In the end, Stephen’s right ~ cook it your way; experiment and have fun cooking!


Anyway, I think Stephen is a unique individual ~ he makes me laugh and sometimes he ticks me off too!   That’s what’s so great about him, you just never know!  You may not agree with everything he says, but you will have many laughs and maybe a rant or two yourself, if you read the Obsessive Chef’s cookbook, ACook’s Book for Cooks.   It’s filled with delicious creative recipes like this corn dish and like this lima bean dish and it may, or may not have a list of ingredients with exact measurements!


Here’s Stephen’s corn recipe:

Corn-in-a cup

You will need (per serving):

1 cup thawed frozen corn kernels or 1 cup canned, drained and rinsed corn kernels
1 Tbs butter
Hot sauce to taste
Chile powder to taste
Salt to taste
Parmesan cheese to taste

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the corn.  Add the other ingredients and heat through.  The corn doesn’t really need to be “cooked,” just made hot.


I’ve been a “blogger friend” of Stephen’s for a long while so, believe me, you will be entertained with his remarkable cookbook ~ his wit and his “spicy” outlook on cooking and life in general!

And try this corn ~ it’s great!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes. 







Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe, will give it a try.

    Hope that Bill is doing well. Have a good day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a way that I prepare corn on the cob. And boy is it delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am kind of addicted to corn, guess I'll have to try this one. going to check out this guy.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, I am very grateful to you for revealing my strenths and flaws. I can take the heat. I make the heat - in the kitchen. One of my greatest wishes would be to have a cook-off with my blogging buddies. It is not a very realistic hope, but I'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, thanks so much! Bill is doing fine and ready for the holidays. Have a great rest of the week!

    Emily, yum! Bet yours is great too! I would've never tried this on my own!

    Rita, yes! Check him out! He has a great blog!

    Jennifurla, you got it! And it's good too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great. I tried a new corn recipe using frozen corn last week and it was pretty boring. I can hardly wait for fresh corn again! I bet this would be even better with fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot sauce and chile powder. What a simple way to dress up corn! Sounds awesome with the parmesan, thanks!

    Love the haiku at the beginning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. While my husband still expects things to stick to the corn when it is still on the cob when you grill it! This is a great way to get a lot of flavor with the corn. grilling it and cutting it of the cob and putting it with all these seasons sounds perfect. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephen's book is real fun...I've already picked a few recipes out to make myslef...I do love corn...I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds really good to me. The book sounds interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious! I love corns and I would love this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephen, I'm sure you have many strengths and cooking is at the top of the list. A blogging cook-off would be so cool and I can imagine all the good food.

    I really enjoyed reading your great cookbook. You definitely have a way with words as you do with food!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary, it's good and made with fresh corn would be fantastic!

    Debbie, it's dressed up for sure! Thanks, haiku is fun.

    Tina, you're right! Can't wait till the grill is fired up in the spring to try this with grilled corn.

    Bo, it is a fun cookbook! Lots of good recipes and info in it!

    laurie, thanks! They are!

    kitchen flavours, great! I hope you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried to comment yesterday, but I guess I need more practice using my iPad because I don't see it. Stephen gave me a copy of his cookbook and allowed me to host a giveaway. Somehow I missed this recipe. I am going to have to take a closer lookand see what else I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't his cookbook great? This is a great little tribute post to him, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've got the same book and I'm doing a post on Sunday based on his Asian Wings (the first one). Fun book.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam