all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, October 17, 2011

Skillet Spaghetti Squash






I don’t know about you, but sometimes I think spaghetti squash is just a bit bizarre!

You cut it in half, remove the seeds and roast it in the oven.  Then you pull it out and rake a fork across it.  It ends up in a heap that somehow looks just like spaghetti.  I’m just saying…bizarre? 






Bizarre or not, it’s delicious in this dish.  The original recipe is Paula Deen’s but since I’m a seasoned pepper addict, I added more of it and garlic also.    The spaghetti squash is combined with onion and bell pepper along with the seasonings.  It’s good! 

And since I don’t want to really diss spaghetti squash, I have to say it’s the most fun vegetable I’ve come across!


Skillet Spaghetti Squash
Adapted

Ingredients:

1 large spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup diced onion
½ cup diced green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons butter
¼ teaspoon salt
½-1 teaspoon seasoned pepper

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Using the tip of a sharp knife, cut squash in half.
Discard seeds and place on a baking sheet, cut side down.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until fork tender.
Remove from oven and using the tines of a fork, scrape flesh of squash to make strands and lay on a plate.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Remove from skillet and set aside.
Melt butter in skillet.
Add spaghetti squash strands.
Sprinkle with salt and seasoned pepper.
Cook, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes or until squash is slightly browned.
Sprinkle with onion mixture.
Serve immediately.
4-6 servings



I bet even your family member who hates squash, will dig this!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes. 





Pin It

20 comments:

Susan said...

I love this squash and this sounds like a great recipe. Thanks.

Jennifurla said...

I didnt realize it was so easy, I might have to try this soon

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I was talking to a friend just a few days ago about spaghetti squash. He hate the gluten free pasta and wanted an alternative and I suggested using spaghetti squash. I am passing this recipe on to here!

JG said...

I remember the first time I prepped spagheti squash. So strange, as you said, but it tasted really good! Have not tasted it in a while.
~Judy

jose manuel said...

Un plato muy curioso.

Saludos

Rita said...

I love spaghetti squash; widh I could convince my partner that is it wonderful. Maybe I should this a try.
Rita

Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) said...

I agree that spaghetti squash is bizarre, but I love it!! This recipe could definitely convert the skeptics though... :)

Sook said...

I still need to try spaghetti squash. I've been seeing them a lot lately. Looks so good!

Lyndsey said...

Cool...it's like stir fried spaghetti squash! I haven't had my share of spaghetti squash yet this season. Need to find some now! and quick! Yum!

foodie @ Tasting Spot said...

i like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

Pegasuslegend said...

Great photo I someday have to try this I have never had it!

Yukari - The Kitchen Fairy said...

This sounds delish! Beautiful blog with wonderful recipes! I am one of your followers now! Check out mine and let me know what you think! :)

Shug said...

I have never tried this squash, but the recipe sounds great...looks good as well!

Jenn said...

Whew... I thought I was the only one that thought that about spaghetti squash :) It does taste delicious though, so you can get past the bizarre part pretty quickly!!

StephenC said...

I am a huge fan of spaghetti squash. Your way of doing it is new to me. Must try!

bellini said...

Mom used the serve spaghetti squash to us when we were kids; as you say it is just fun!!

Marguerite said...

What a great side dish! Looks absolutely delicious and I can't wait to try it. Thanks for another great recipe!

Pam said...

Susan, thanks so much!

Jennifurla, it's very easy and tastes good too!

Linda, good! This is a great alternative.

JG, yes, the same here! Have a good day!

jose manuel, gracias! Es bueno y facil!

Rita, hope you can prepare it for yourself since you like it!

Becka, I think you're right! Thanks for the visit!

Sook, I hope you give it a try and that you'll be surprised how good it is!

Lyndsey, it is! It's a wonderful thing!

foodie @ Tasting Spot, thanks! I'll be checking it out soon.

Claudia, thank you! Happy cooking!

Yukari, thanks and I will.

Shug, go for it and give it a try. Yum!

Jenn, lol! It's just a little weird!

Stephen, thanks! Glad you like it.

bellini, good for mom! I never had it until just a few years ago.

Marguerite, thanks and have a good day!

Christine said...

I love, love, love spaghetti squash - especially when I'm trying to cut back on the carbs - this looks delicious!

BigAppleNosh said...

I absolutely love spaghetti squash - thanks for sharing!