all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Roasted Italian Sausages with Grapes







I always knew good things come from Ohio (I did, tee hee!).  I came across this recipe in the little cookbook Farm and Foods of Ohio by Marilou Suszko and have also seen many variations of it over the internet.  Ina Garten even cooked it on the “Barefoot Contessa.”

Italian sausages; hot or sweet, are delicious things ~ combine them with some luscious grapes and you have a mouthwatering dish.  The grapes pop and burst their sweet juices as they cook slowly scattered around the sausages.  The sauce is excellent, but there’s just not enough of it so I doubled it and it could even be tripled.  I mixed red and green grapes ~ don’t bother; you won’t be able to differentiate the colors or taste after cooking.

This is a delicious dish that I’m glad I finally tried and you should try it too!  It contains the simplest of ingredients which yields the most amazing flavor you can imagine!




Hot             and            Sweet



Roasted Italian Sausages with Grapes

Ingredients:

1-1/2 pounds hot Italian sausage
1-1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2-1/2 pounds red or green seedless grapes, stemmed (6 to 7 cups)
8 tablespoons dry red wine
6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Method:

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
Prick the sausages with a fork and add them to the boiling water.
Boil gently for 8 minutes and drain.  Set aside.

Melt the butter in a large roasting pan over low heat.
Add the grapes to the pan and toss to coat them with the butter.
With tongs, transfer the parboiled sausages to the pan and push them down into the grapes so that the sausages will not brown too quickly.

Roast the sausages and grapes in the preheated oven, turning the sausages once, until the grapes are soft and the sausages have browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, transfer the sausages and grapes to a heated serving platter.

Place the roasting pan on top of the stove over a medium-high flame and add the balsamic vinegar. Stir to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan and cook the vinegar and juices until they are thick and syrupy.

Pour the sauce over the sausages and grapes and serve immediately, accompanied with mashed potatoes.


This is unique and delicious!!!  A keeper!!!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and recipes. 







Pin It

27 comments:

Lyndsey said...

This looks so good Pam, and sound interesting. I think I will have to try it for myself. I like how you scraped the good brown bits off the bottom of the pan...get all that flavor! :)

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I have done something similar with chicken, but I hadn't thought to use sausage. Stan would like that better than the chicken!

StephenC said...

I am so happy that fall is at hand and so many folks are posting appropriate recipes. This is one of them. If I had the time I would go directly to the market right this minute for sausages and grapes. I'll do it later.

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

I will definitely have to try this with grapes in season right now. I have never cooked with grapes as they always end up in the tummy. Wonderful recipe!

jose manuel said...

Que salchichas, me encantan.

Saludos

Karen said...

Hot and sweet just make the best combination of flavors, don't they? I love different recipes like this and also love the balsamic in there :)

Emily Malloy said...

I looove this combination!

Rita said...

Italian sausage is one of our weekend treats; what a wonderful idea to add graps; would god very weel witht that bottle of wine we are enjoying.
Rita

Leslie said...

oh man ~ This sounds great! I will definatly make this.

Have a great week

Alice Lynn Alfred said...

Oh, WOW...yummy, yummy....this looks amazing!!

Jean said...

This looks absolutely scrumptious !!

Dzoli said...

What an interesting combination:)

Marguerite said...

This really sounds like a delicious dish and so unique and easy to prepare. Thanks for sharing!

The Blonde Duck said...

I didn't know you could roast grapes!

Pam said...

Lyndsey, great, hope you like it and be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. :-)

Linda, the chicken sounds good to me.

Stephen, you gotta' try this, it's good!

Biren, I know what you mean as I really haven't cooked much with grapes.

jose manuel, gracias! Las salchichas son muy picantes y buenas.

Karen, if you like the sausages, you have to try this!

Emily, thanks! It's soooo good!

Rita, this would be perfect with your wine. Hope you try it.

Leslie, great! Hope you like it as much as we do. Let me know.

Alice, thanks, it is!!!

Jean, thank you! It's a great combo of ingredients.

Dzoli, thanks! It is unique for sure.

Marguerite, thanks! That's another good thing about it, it's easy!

The Blonde Duck, I didn't either until I came across this recipe.

Carol at Serendipity said...

Pam,

Making this for dinner this weekend. Cannot wait. I will serve it with sauteed spinach, bread, and wine!!! Will be moving out of the little cabin soon and this will be a lovely farewell dinner. Thanks for sharing.

Carol

David said...

Pam, I love grapes and I'm crazy about Italian sausage. Very interesting combo! Thanks for forcing me outside of my mental 'box' for a new flavor combination! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Shug said...

Have never tried this before, but I am sure that I would love it..Sausage is one of my favorites and I can only imagine how great the juices are with the sweet grapes..Thanks for sharing this one..
Hugs,
shug

Mimi said...

What an interesting combination, it looks fabulous.
Mimi

laurie said...

I saw that episode when Ina cooked this....looked good then and yours looks good too! Yum!

Jenn said...

I ran across a recipe like this a few years back and was always a bit hesitant to try it. It just sounded a bit unusual... sausage and grapes... but now I know I must try it!! Thanks for sharing, Pam!

Pam said...

Carol, great! Enjoy your delicious dinner this weekend! Have a safe trip to Florida!

Dave, oh, I'm betting you will love this and for you there are no bell peppers in it!

Shug, then you have to go for it and make this. You'll looove it! Thanks for the visit!

Mimi, thanks! It is!!

laurie, then you know what I'm talking about for sure. Ina is the best!

Jenn, I hope you do try it. It's definitely unique but unbelievable how well the flavors meld.

Catherine said...

Dear Pam, I have never cooked grapes! This sounds fabulous. I would love to try it. I think the sweetness of the grapes with the vinegar sounds great. I bet is was good! Blessings, Catherine xo

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I would never have thought to combine grapes and sausages but they sound delicious, especially served with mashed potatoes.

Pam said...

Catherine, the grapes combined with the sausage and vinegar is delicious. I was amazed and am looking forward to making it again soon. Hugs

Cathy, I thought the same thing and knew I had to try it. Hope you try it also!

Chris said...

I would have thought this was an odd combination at first but it makes since. Sausage and apple rock together so why not grapes.

Emily @ A Cambridge Story said...

What an interesting combination - I can see how the savory sausages with the sweet grapes would really work!!