all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, October 7, 2011

Cube Steak with Diced Tomatoes and Mushrooms







Once in a blue moon, we like cube steaks and I wanted them prepared some way other than being smothered in gravy ~ you know:  chicken fried steak. That’s when Rotel tomatoes with green chiles came on the scene.

First, here’s a little Rotel tomato trivia: 

Carl Roettele, a Texan and a vegetable packer in the 1940’s, started canning his own version of tomatoes, green chiles and spices.  He decided on the name “Ro*tel” as he thought no one would ever be able to remember or pronounce his real name if printed on the label. 

Mr. Roettele’s tomatoes were an instant hit; appearing on supper tables all over Texas and by 1956 had spread to supper tables in Arkansas and Oklahoma.   In 1992, American Home Food Products bought the Roettele family’s business and ten years later; in 2002, Con Agra became the owner of Rotel tomatoes.  It’s still the same product as when Carl started production of it and if you’ve never tried it, it’s the perfect ingredient to include in a recipe like this one.  It gives the cube steak and mushrooms a zesty, spicy tomato flavor.

See if this doesn’t become a family favorite in your house!



Cube Steak with Diced Tomatoes and Mushrooms

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon Canola oil
4 beef cube steaks
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 (10-ounces) can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 onion, chopped
1 pound sliced mushrooms
1 cup water
1 tablespoon corn starch

Method:

Pour oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
On a plate, combine flour salt and pepper.
Dredge meat in flour mixture.
Brown cube steaks for a minute or two on each side.
Transfer meat to a plate and set aside.
Add tomatoes, onions and mushrooms to skillet and cook until onion is tender, about 2-3 minutes. 
Add corn starch to the water and pour into tomato mushroom mixture in skillet.
Bring to a boil for a minute, stirring constantly.
Lower heat to medium-low.
Return cube steaks to the skillet, top with the sauce and cover with a lid.
Simmer until meat is tender and sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles.


It’s quick, it’s good and it’s easy!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes. 




P.S.  I'm not "pushing" Rotel; just my opinion.


Pin It

20 comments:

Mr. Bill said...

Oh....Pam..that sounds outstanding! On the schedule this one for the weekend!

jose manuel said...

Una gran combinación, me encanta.

Saludos

Gloria said...

Pam sound delicious!! gloria

Pegasuslegend said...

This is comfort food at its best we love these!

From the Kitchen said...

Cube steak appeared often on our table when I was a child in Virginia. I've only done it myself a few times but it is a tasty piece of beef and, when properly tenderized, is a taste treat. I'll be trying this.

Best,
Bonnie

StephenC said...

I've never had much luck with cube steaks, but this is a totally different way to make them. Here we go...

Penny said...

Love this variation on the standard cube steak and the history of Rotel was interesting too. Thanks Pam.

Lyndsey said...

Cube steak reminds me of my childhood. Once in awhile we enjoy it too! I think your way looks so good!

Have a great weekend Pam!

StephenC said...

I've been thinking about cube steaks all day. Will they truly get tender in 20 minutes in the tomato mix?

scrout1944@msn.com

Dzoli said...

Greta story and very yummy recepie:)

Rita said...

I had an urge for cube steak and bought some yesterday; will be trying this one.
Rita

Pam said...

Mr Bill, thank you! It's filling and delicious! Have a good weekend!

jose manuel, gracias! Me encanta la carne.

Gloria, thanks and have a great weekend.

Claudia, we do here too. Thanks!

Bonnie, yes, it's not something we have a lot either but like it this way.

Stephen, I know what you mean. Have a good weekend.

Dzoli, thanks! Glad you stopped by!

Rita, hope it's nice and tender and you like it!

girlichef said...

You know, I really like cube steaks once in a while...but I so rarely make them. I make have to change that and cook this up for dinner this week. It sounds awesome :D

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

We love Rotel! We always have at least a can or two in the cupboard. So this is a must try recipe for us.

Big Dude said...

Looks really good Pam - Rotel, onions and mushrooms are a hard combo to beat. We enjoyed your baked cod a few days ago.

Pam said...

girlchef, thanks! Have a good day!

Linda, they're a wonderful thing to have on hand to add some good flavors.

Larry, thank you! I'm so happy you and your wife liked the cod. Have a good rest of the weekend!

Martha (MM) said...

Sounds yummy! I would probably use the Hot Rotel. Hope you are having a great weekend :-)

Pam said...

Martha, I'm with you on that! Hope your weekend has been a good one also!

MaryBeth said...

My husband would love this steak for sure...he simply adores mushrooms and tomatoes.

Pam said...

MaryBeth, that's good to hear! Thanks for the visit!