all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, October 21, 2011

Crusty Cheddar Garlic Pepper Biscuits my Way






Biscuits aren’t fancy but believe me, these biscuits are as about as flavorsome as you can imagine a biscuit would be ~ crispy on the outside and smooth on the inside.  Over the years, I’ve tried many variations of this biscuit and never achieved a “great” crusty top layer until by accident recently.  Here’s how it went:

Normally, in recipes for cheese-garlic biscuits, the biscuits are baked and then brushed with the garlic butter when they come out of the oven.  But, one evening in a rush, I brushed them with the butter mixture when I realized they needed more baking time ~ they just weren’t the golden brown they should have been and I was afraid they may not be baked through on the inside.  So back in the oven they went and when they came out and I bit into one, Voila!  I was shocked!  They were a beautiful golden brown, tender inside with a very crusty, cheesy, garlicky top!

We swore they were the best!  Make the batter, drop the biscuits and bake a while.  Pull them out of the oven; brush with a butter, garlic, pepper and parsley mixture.  Then return the biscuits to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes or so.  They’re perfectly delicious and you won’t be able to stop at one!




Cheddar Garlic Pepper Biscuits

For biscuits:

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons butter, cold
1¼ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup buttermilk OR ½ cup sour cream whisked with ½ cup milk

For basting:

2 tablespoons butter, melted
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
Dash salt

Method:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
Mix flour, baking powder, garlic powder and ½ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
Cut in the shortening and cold butter into the flour mixture using a fork, pastry blender or your fingers until the dough resembles coarse crumbs.
Mix in cheese.
Stir in buttermilk until just moistened.  Do not overmix.
Drop dough onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about ¼ cup for each biscuit.  Or, use a kitchen tablespoon and heap it extra large.

Bake for 10 minutes.

Stir together melted butter, garlic powder, salt, pepper and parsley in a small bowl.  With a light hand, brush over warm biscuits.

Bake for another 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve immediately
Makes 12 biscuits


They are so crunchy delicious that they will become your “go-to” biscuits like they are mine!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and recipes. 






Pin It

23 comments:

  1. Pam these biscuits look awesome and delicious, have a nice weekend! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago I was quite adept at maing baking powder biscuits. I should summon up the courage to do it again. Maybe you've given me the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds good! Have a great weekend, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I've read this posting about 4 times. I'm going to get some refrigerator biscuits and reproduce it. I will report back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can tell it's a pretty good recipe when one salivates while reading it over, eh? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love biscuits and often wish I'd grown up back in the days when they were made every morning for breakfast - of course I'd weigh a ton. I really love garlic cheese bicuits and these sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make cheddar garlic biscuits ALL the time; they're a huge hit around here -- but these definitely look better! I'll try this recipe next time; thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had any lick with biscuits, but these are relly tempting; would love to succeed just once.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum do you ship? I will take 2 dozen to go asap!! these sound like one everyone will go nuts for thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheese and garlic biscuits are divine! Add a seriously crunchy topping and I'm a happy Witch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love when I accidentally come upon something like this - thanks a million for letting us in on the secret!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those would have been GREAT with the chili we just ate. I like the idea of using the sour cream combo instead of buttermilk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at the title. These sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great looking biscut. They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who needs fancy when you have something as delicious as this in the oven? Can't go wrong with cheese and a buttery biscuit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Biscuits are on the brain! I love this savory recipe! I usually just brush mine with garlic and butter. I like the addition of the pepper and parsley.

    ReplyDelete
  17. angicoock, thank you!

    Gloria, thanks and you have a great weekend also!

    Stephen, looking forward to hearing your results. Bet they'll be good!

    kitchen flavours, thanks and a good weekend to you!

    Corgidogmama, great to see you're back! Have a good weekend!

    Larry, I love biscuits too and what a treat they'd be for breakfast now!

    Sara, hope you try it with great results.

    BigAppleNosh, thank you!

    Rita, this is an easy recipe to try!

    Claudia, thanks! Wouldn't that be great if we could ship back and forth! :-)

    Andrea, I always like it when there's a happy witch around!

    Brownieville Girl, yes! You just never know when it will happen.

    Chris, thanks! I've found that sour cream is great in baking biscuits and corn bread. It holds together very well with next to no crumbling.

    Buttercup, great! Have a good weekend!

    Words Of Deliciousness, thanks! I can see why you think they're delicious. ;)

    Joanne, yes. Sometimes, simple and plain is a great thing!

    Linda, kind of funny! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhhhh how I wish I could have carbs! These look AMAZING! =D

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look great! Love the topping!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ummm ummmm ummmm! They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pam, These biscuits look and sound sooooo good! What's not to love about this recipe?!! Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam