all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Crunchy Parmesan Encrusted Tilapia plus… a Surprise Visit from Fairy Hobmother





I used to be leery of eating fish way back when and only ate fresh bluegills that Dad and friends caught at the lake.  With time, I tried more varieties.   So, I was pleased to have my first tilapia experience at a restaurant with my boss and co-workers when I was in the working world not so long ago.  I saw tilapia on the menu but had never heard of it.  I was curious and then thankfully someone before me ordered it.  I was saved a lot of embarrassment as I would’ve definitely called it “till-up-eeee-uh!”

This dish is delicious with a capital “D!”  The crouton crumbs are crunchy to begin with and combining them with the cheese and cayenne pepper makes a perfect crunchy topping for the slightly firm flaky texture of the tilapia.  It’s a quick dish to prepare that we really like.  It’s a winner!  And I hope you will try it and think so also!


Crunchy Parmesan Encrusted Tilapia

Ingredients:

4 tilapia fillets
¾ cup finely crushed garlic-flavored croutons
4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons dried chopped chives
1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning, or to taste
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons each, olive oil and melted butter

Method:

Combine croutons, cheese, chives, chipotle seasoning and salt.
Set aside.
Coat tilapia fillets with butter and olive oil mixture on both sides.
Lightly coat both sides of tilapia in the crouton mixture.
Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until tilapia is opaque and flakes easily when tested with a fork.

ENJOY!


One thing I’m not leery of is the Fairy Hobmother ~ you’ve probably seen her sprinkling her fairy dust like crazy all over the web lately! 

Recently, I left a comment on my friend Linda’s, My Kind of Cooking, great blog and soon after, was happy to see the Fairy Hobmother’s dust had landed in my email ~ in the form of an Amazon gift card for $25.    The funny thing is, I had just been looking at Amazon, considering something I can’t tell you about now for a Christmas gift.  So, Woo Hoo!  I’ve started my Christmas shopping early for a change!

If you too would like a visit from the Fairy Hobmother, simply leave a comment here on this post and you never know…   Fairy Hobmother just might visit you with an Amazon gift card of an undetermined denomination!





Good Luck to you and thanks again, Fairy Hobmother, for your generosity!  





22 comments:

Rita said...

A great way for you to start eating fish; tilapia is light and not one bit fishy; really like this coating with croutons. i have to try this. Thanks Pam.
Rita

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Pam! Seeing this recipe AND picture, this dish looks really good! But the tablespoon of cayenne pepper, WITH the chipotle seasoning (never tried that).. this is not TOO hot/spicy??? Just wondering, I'd be fine, and would love to try this, but I'm not sure younger members of the family would find it too hot/spicy??? Would/should I just decrease the cayenne then? ~tina

David said...

Pam, We don't cook fish at home very often... Not real confident in this regard. But I really like this recipe and we'll give it a try. Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Thanks for the shout out! I am so happy that the Fairy Hobmother paid you a visit! I love this recipe,Pam! It will be on my table soon!

Emily Malloy said...

This looks like a fantastic recipe :)

Pam said...

Rita, great, hope you try it!

Tina, good grief! I goofed for sure when I copied the recipe. It should be just the chipotle seasoning or you could only use 1/2 teaspoon or so of cayenne pepper. I have made it that way too. This is truly a delicious coating for the fish and I'm sooo glad you caught my error! Let me know if you try it! Thanks again!

Dave, this is a good way to make it when you do decide to cook some fish!

Pam said...

Linda, thanks! Love that Fairy Hobmother!

Emily, thanks! Thanks for the visit!

Zia Elle said...

Very nice way to eat fish, great Pam!

Sook said...

Hi Pam, thanks for your lovely comment on my family blog. You might consider following me at my food blog - http://myfabulousrecipes.com

This parmesan tilapia looks wonderful... I don't know why I never thought of the combo! :)

Lilly said...

Pam thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for your kind words.

I've heard about the Fairy Hobmother, but never had the honor of "meeting" her. If I'm lucky enough to be visited by her I wish to have some more accessories for my kichen aid mixer. Even a simple piping bag would make me happy as a child.

Ps: great recipe! Will scoop around your blog now.

Esme said...

I am such a fan of pecan or parmesan crusted. It adds a lovely texture.

Shug said...

Not a fish eater myself, but I think I could learn to like it this way...
May have to give it a try...
Shug

Tangos Treasures said...

YUmmmm sounds great!! I love most all fish!!

Words Of Deliciousness said...

I love tilapia, it is one of my favorite fish. This recipe sounds so yummy. I will have to try it.

Pegasuslegend said...

Congrats on being discovered by the Fairy Hobmother! this recipe and photo is amazing I love this dish!

jose manuel said...

Muy rico el plato.

Saludos

Jade said...

That looks delicious! I would love to give that a try.

Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) said...

Sounds delish! I would never think to do a parm crusted fish but it sounds great!! I will have to try that :)

Mary said...

Pam, congratulations on your win. Let us know how you spend it. Your fish sounds delicious and you can tell the Fairy Hobmother she's welcome to sprinkle some fairy dust my way. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

M.J. Jacobsen said...

Love this recipe, we all love fish at my house! I will be making this soon!

Anonymous said...

I will definitely try the tilapia as we eat it all the time and I am running out of good recipes for it it is a little bland just sauteed...as for the Fairy Hobmother a new faucet would be wonderful after nearly 40 years it is dripping like a seive..would love to put a new faucet into the place that is now dripping driving me crazy, I tried to fix it once it did not work..would love a new one so our kitchen would not hear the drip and waste precious water..Love your recipes and your blog, use the ideas and recipes you suggest all the time! Happy Halloween and will definitely make the encrusted tilapia, it sounds and looks wonderful!

Jenn said...

Love the story :) And of course you know my love for tilapia... this one is a keeper!