all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, October 24, 2011

Best Lemon Pound Cake ~ I’m Telling You the Truth!






On my September 27th post, I told you I would be baking the Lemon Pound Cake recipe from the Tate’s Bake Shop Cookbook that Bill had been yearning for.  I finally got around to baking it and now I’m trying to figure out what took me so long…





You know how foodies say, “I swear, it’s the best I’ve ever eaten?”  Sometimes I try the recipe, sometimes I don’t.  Everyone’s taste is different and you just never know; however, I can honestly say, “this Lemon Pound Cake is the best pound cake I have ever eaten in my life.”  And Bill echoes the same.  NO LIE!!!  It is outstanding!!!

Here’s what Kathleen King, the owner and founder of Tate’s Bake Shop, says about her cake, “The lemon flavor really comes through in my lemon pound cake.  It keeps well and freezes well, and is exceptional on its own or with fresh berries and cream.”






Here’s what I say about it:  Enjoy it on its own!   If you love lemon and love pound cake, you will fall hard for this one!  It’s so good that after having a slice of it, I gave samples to family and neighbors, and had to lock the rest away to keep it out of my hands.  It has a tantalizing tart/sweet thing going on ~ an amazing tangy lemon favor with just a little bit of sweetness!  It is the absolute perfect combo of ingredients and 4 days later, it was still as fresh as the first day and then it was gone…  







Lemon Pound Cake                             

Ingredients:

2¾ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
2½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
5 large eggs at room temperature
1 cup sour cream
½ cup fresh lemon juice, from about 4 lemons

                        ~ ~ ~               ~ ~ ~               ~ ~ ~

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare a 10-inch Bundt pan with lots of pan spray and sprinkle it with granulated sugar.  (Flour will leave an unattractive residue on the cake.)

To make the cake:

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy.
Add vanilla and lemon zest, mix them together.
Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Mix sour cream and lemon juice together.
Add flour and sour cream mixture alternately, finishing with the flour.
Spoon batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.

Lemon Glaze:

½ cup fresh lemon juice, from about 4 lemons
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water

To make the glaze:

Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan and stir.
Cook over low heat without stirring till the sugar dissolves.
Turn heat up to medium and cook mixture until it becomes syrupy.
Don’t overcook it or the syrup will start to turn brown.
When the cake is baked, cool it for 10 minutes in the baking pan and invert it onto a plate.  (Place the plate against the bottom of the pan and turn it over.)
Slowly pour the glaze over the cake and let it cool.

It is the best pound cake EVER and will be on my holiday dinner table!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and recipes. 


By the way, I received no compensation for posting this.  It’s just my opinion; it’s a wonderful cookbook with the best pound cake recipe ever.







Pin It

61 comments:

Susan said...

Pam, I hear your excitement and I only regret I do not live next door. But, now, I can bake this myself. It is definitely on my list. Thank you for sharing.

Pam said...

Susan, I wish you did live next door to share it with you. You and the Trout will love it when you bake it, I'm sure.

Jennifurla said...

want want, such a gorgeous cake - I bet the flavor is awesome.

Lynn Steinberg said...

I love anything lemon and I love Tate's. Yum!

Mr. Bill said...

Pam....I take your word about everything!! Wait till the holidays?......no way...I am making this one tonight!

Pam said...

Jennifurla, it is, it is!!

Lynn, then you will love this!

Mr. Bill, lol! Now I know why I like you! Let me know what you think about it.

Karen said...

Saving this one to make for my gardener. He loves lemon!

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Love lemon anything! Your poundcake looks fantastic!

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Monet said...

I'm still on the hunt for a good lemon pound cake recipe, so I have to put this on my must-bake list. Thank you for sharing, dear friend. I'm so glad that I'm able to type again. Your blog makes me hungry (and of course, it makes me smile!). Much love and warm wishes from Austin.

Pegasuslegend said...

I love the smell of lemon cake cooking omg its awesome and this looks great!

Jenn said...

Oh how I love lemon pound cake and I'm thinking that I should trust you when you say it's the best!! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Pam!

Marguerite said...

Love, love, love, lemon pound cake and yours looks heavenly and I can't wait to try it! But 4 days? It would be gone at my house in 4 hours! lol

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I saw this recipe in the cookbook and had been resisting the temptation to make it. Now I have to make this cake! There goes my diet again!

Joanne said...

I've been meaning to try this recipe since I got the cookbook a year ago since I LOVE a good pound cake...I think this is exactly the push I need!

Pam said...

Karen, you have to bake this for your gardener. Bet he won't be able to resist it!

Carol, thanks! It's great!

Vincent, take a look to the right!!!

Monet, thanks! It's great to see you and I hope all is well. Hugs

Claudia, yeah! It's the bomb!

Jenn, trust me! I wouldn't steer you wrong. lol

Marguerite, yes, that amazes me but it's just us 2 here and I even gave some away. This cake is a heavenly thing!

Linda, you have to make this and the diet will just have to wait! I bet you'd flip over it too!

Joanne, go for it and make it! You will be amazed how great it is!

Ana S. said...

Dear Pam, I want to bake this recipe sooo much. The only thing that stops me is the existence of that sort of pan. :( I am new to baking...and I was wondering...can I just use a regular pan? Will it ruin the cake?

Thanks!

Emily Malloy said...

Wow! I can definitely believe this to be the best! Fabulous!

Pam said...

Dear Ana, yes, a tube pan would work fine or about any cake pan that holds 12 cups batter. This is not a layer cake so don't use shallow layer cake pans. I hope this helps you and that you have great success baking it. It's truly magnificent! Hugs

Pam said...

Emily, thanks! It is! lol

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I believe you! It looks awesome! I LOVE lemon!

Grubarazzi said...

Your recipes are my kind of food! You got yourself a new follower/stalker :)

Ana S. said...

Thanks for the answer Pam. I will have to wait until I buy a pan, unfortunately. All I have is shallow pan. New apartment...new life...new pans :))

Sylvia said...

Love lemon and the cake makes me droll, please send me a slice :)

Susan Lindquist said...

I love a good pound cake! I also love the shape of a Bundt cake ... so this recipe does double duty for me!

Thanks for joining The Spice Garden, Pam! I'll be following your spot too! This has been a wonderful introduction!

Tina said...

I consider bundt cakes to be the purist cakes-in other words the cake is so delicious that they require nothing else. This definitely counts as one of those-delicious.
Thanks for the intro and stopping by my blog-I am now a follower!

teresa said...

oh i love lemon cake, this looks amazing!

Kathy said...

I've got to get a bundt cake pan... this cake looks delicious!

BigAppleNosh said...

Wow, that is quite an endorsement! I think I'll have to try it!

Christine's Pantry said...

Lemon pound cake is so good. Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

This looks wonderful, Pam! I LOVE lemon desserts and I'm betting I would eat way too much of this one.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love lemon so if you say it's the best you've ever had, I believe you! I'll definitely be trying this recipe!

Gloria said...

I believe it pam look and sound amazing and I love all with lemon!! gloria

Cheryl @ The Farmer's Daughter said...

Hi Pam! Thanks for stopping by my blog and signing up to follow! It's always fun to make new friends. I love my food and love to collect recipes, so I'll be happy to follow you. You have a very nice blog! I'll be back to check out some more of the recipes. The pound cake sounds delicious!

iva | in my kitchen said...

hi pam! followed you from nasi lemak lover!. love your baking and will def be back again for more recipes

Pam said...

It does look very delicious. Bookmarked!

Deborah said...

I am a lover of all things lemon, so I really need to try this cake out asap!!

Rita said...

Love lemon pound cake but has been hit or miss. I admit I love anthing lemon and now you give the ultimate! I am saving this one when we have the kids over. Great photo.
Rita

Danelle said...

I'm always looking for the best pound cake recipe. Can't wait to try this!

Lizzy said...

Oh, I adore pound cake! And your lemon version looks irresistible...so yummy!!!

Bizzy B. Bakes said...

YOu have convinced me. It looks fabulous. Would you share it on Bake with Bizzy. We will be proud to have it there.

kitchen flavours said...

Pam, I believe you! It looks good! I love lemon cakes and I love pound cakes! So this is definitely a plus!
Thanks for sharing!

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

I adore lemons but true confession. I've never made a pound cake, although I love them. I'm convinced Pam.
Sam

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

With your enthusiastic recommendation there is no way I can pass up trying this recipe. We love pound cake and the addition of lemon sounds fantastic. The glaze is a nice finish.

Mimi said...

I love pound cake and lemons and with your rave review of the recipe I can see I need to make this.
Mimi

Raina said...

Everything I have tried from Tate's Bake Shop cookbook has been fantastic. So I am not surprised this is great. It sounds wonderful. I will definitely have to make it, since I love lemony pound cakes like this:)

Catherine said...

Dear Pam, This post is just oozing with excitement!! I can hear you from hear! I love it when something comes out that good and you just have to get the message out!!!
I bet this was delicious with all of the lemony goodness, the butter and sour cream. I am sure this was a perfect partner for a good cup of coffee!!
Blessings for a beautiful day, Catherine xo

Susan said...

Oh yes, Pam!!! This cake is out of this world. Now I wished you lived next door and could come over for a slice. Thinking of you, and thanks for the recipe!!!! Susan

Diana said...

Pam, Susan from Schnitzel and the Trout told me to stop by and see this recipe. I told her I don't do desserts, unless it is lemon. :) Ok, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Kathleen said...

I live a few miles from Tate's bake shop, and I can hear the rooster's from her dad, Tate King's farm from my home. Kathleen is a home town girl. She gave me her book, and I have yet to try this recipe. I must do it soon!

My Little Space said...

Pam, this pound cake sounds simply wonderful. Have bookmarked it for later use. Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family, dear.
Cheers, Kristy

Katy ~ said...

Big smiles at your enthusiastic recommendation. Definitely going to make this when I have more lemons on hand. I can't wait to try it. LOVE lemon pound cake!!

Hugs.

Martha said...

Do you think this cake would freeze well?

Jo said...

I am new to the baking world. My question is can I use cake flour? since cake flour is finer do I use the same amount or a little less?

Jo

Smallz. said...

Wow.....I believe you. This must be the best lemon pound cake ever. I have just gotten the cake out of the oven and it smells so good. I cangt wait for it to cool so that i can eat it. Thank you so much for an amazing recipe.....Even the batter was delicious.

Pam said...

Smallz, I'm so glad you made the cake. I'm sorry this is late, but I'm sure you enjoyed it too!

Mary said...

I've made this twice in the last week. Family and friends can't get enough of it! Definitely the best lemon pound cake I've ever had. Thanks for sharing.

linda hardin said...

I made this lemon glazed lemon pound cake today and the family loved it. My cake looked just like the one pictured and tasted delicious.I thought a little too tart from the glaze at first but quickly realized it was a good balance.Instead of me using regular flour I used cake flour as I do in my creme cheese pound cakes. This one is also a keeper. Request from family members already for the recipe.

HENRYSPRETTYLADY said...

What kind of flour? All or self rising?

HENRYSPRETTYLADY said...

What kind of flour? All or self rising?

Pam said...

HENRYSPRETTYLADY, use regular all-purpose flour, not self rising.