all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, September 30, 2011

Smoky Beef and Hominy Stew





I remember Mom serving hominy occasionally in a stew when I was young.   I haven’t eaten or thought about it since then, until I saw it included in a recipe in Family Circle magazine.  I showed Bill the recipe and asked if he liked hominy ~ he didn’t really know anything about it but said he was willing to try it if I cooked it.

If you’re not familiar with hominy either, it’s dried corn kernels with the hull and germ removed.  This is done through a process called nixtamalization, which is a procedure of treating corn kernels with an alkaline solution to remove the hull and the germ. It is said that this process makes hominy more flavorful and aromatic with superior nutrition.

Supposedly, hominy has been used by the Native Americans for a very long time. In fact, the history of hominy has been traced back to 1200 BC. It is said that the process of nixtamalization originated during that period, in some parts of Mexico and Guatemala. Today, hominy is popular throughout the United States, especially in the South.

Hominy is tenderer than corn with a much creamier texture.  Stir it into hearty stews or chili instead of the traditional beans.  I followed the list of ingredients, except for omitting 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro and I cooked it in a slow cooker instead of in a Dutch oven on the stovetop. If you haven’t enjoyed hominy before, try this!




Photo:  Huffpost Food
Yellow and white hominy draining



Spicy Beef and Hominy Stew
Adapted slightly

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons flour
1 to 1½ teaspoons chipotle chile powder, depending on taste
1 pound beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
¾ teaspoon dried oregano
2 cans (15-ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
1 pound carrots, sliced
1 large green pepper, chopped
4½ cups cooked rice (1½ cups uncooked)

Method:

In a shallow dish, whisk flour and chile powder.
Coat beef with flour mixture; reserve unused flour.
In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Add beef and cook, turning, until all sides are browned.
Add all of remaining ingredients, except rice, into slow cooker.
Stir in beef and combine well.
Cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Serve with cooked rice.




Please visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes.



Be sure to enter my Tate’s Bake Shop Giveaway if you haven’t already.

Pin It

21 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful but I have never heard of hominy, I wonder..... Have a great weekend. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no bigger fan of hominy than me. Did I eat it as a child? Don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say that I have ever tried hominy...what better way to discover it, than in a stew such as yours.

    Happy Friday to you Pam!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hominy is in a lot of dishes that are served in New Mexico. I love the stuff and often will swap out whole kernel corn for hominy in a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like being able to control the heat level and smokiness by adjusting the amount of chipotle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard or have eaten hominy.Don't even think we can get it here.May be in Mexican Restaurant.Will check it out;)Stew looks delicious;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, It's been years since I've had hominy. I'd forgotten about it, although my mother served it from time to time when I was young. I can't handle the bell pepper but the overall recipe sounds great and we will add it to our 'to do' file. Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love hominy--ate a lot of it in AZ. What better time of year than now for this stew?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm I LOVE hominy and this stew sounds amazing! I've been craving smoky food this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diane, it's good, kind of creamy and does not really taste like corn.

    Stephen, just can't imagine why I never thought of it all these years.

    jose manuel, es bueno! gracias!

    Velva, yes. If you've never eaten hominy, try it in a stew first.

    Linda, I'm sure you know lots of ways to cook it then. In looking around the web, I see it's used in many dishes out your way.

    Chris, I agree and went for the full amount.

    Dzoli, yes, it's probably in the Mexican restaurants by you as I think it's almost a staple in their cooking. Hope you can taste test it!

    David, same here---I forgot all about it until seeing the recipe. Maybe you'd like the cilantro in it that I passed on.

    Othelia, thanks! This makes a hearty stew.

    Joanne, glad you like this. Hominy doesn't get all the attention it deserves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I am so sorry it has been so long since stopping by yours. You have a fabulous new look since I was here last. I looks great!

    I love this recipe. Hominy is really one of my favorite things. I ate tons of it as a child and as a matter of fact I still do. I love it on salads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hominy is new to me, Pam, so I have learned about a new ingredient today! Your stew looks delicious and I like to make them in a slow cooker, too.
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is why I love the food blogging world so much - you learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This stew looks so delicious and would be a perfect supper on a cold day. The hominy sounds like a great addition. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen, thank you! I know what you mean. Next will be trying hominy in a salad!

    JG, I hope you try the hominy! A slow cooker is a wonderful thing.

    Marguerite, thanks and have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks like I have something new to try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. An awesome stew for a cold rainy Sunday supper...I have never eaten hominy before but willing to give this dish a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the first time I've heard of hominy! Nice to learn something new!
    Your stew looks really good and I can just imagine the delicious flavours from all the ingredients! Yum, would be lovely with some breadsticks I've made a couple of days ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I grew up eating hominy. You can have white or yellow. I like it. Interesting recipe- I would think it would be delish!
    xo, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam