all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Roasted Veggies with Orzo and Feta






Orzo is a new-comer in my kitchen cabinet and I’m hooked on it; whether it’s in a cold salad or a hot dish.  Orzo is small and rice-shaped ~ it looks like rice but it’s really pasta.  It’s perfect for casseroles like this one!

With fall arriving on the 23rd, our farmer’s markets’ supply of fresh veggies is starting to dwindle and I wanted to squeeze in one more veggie dish using the market’s tender veggies.  We all know that local food tastes better and purchasing from farmer’s markets supports our farmers in the area and contributes to the community.  It’s just sad to me in that the season is so very short here!

Most of us like roasted veggies for the bold deep flavors the roasting brings out.  This mixture consists of asparagus, bell peppers, onions, zucchini, mushrooms and grape tomatoes roasted with orzo, feta cheese and pine nuts.   Browning the orzo and pine nuts first, gives them a nutty toasted flavor that’s a great match with the veggies.  I hope you give this a try!



Baked!



Roasted Veggies with Orzo and Feta

Ingredients:

1 zucchini
1 pound asparagus
1 pound mushrooms
2 large bell peppers, red and yellow
8 green onions, chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, smashed
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon basil
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
1 cup orzo
1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
½ cup pine nuts, toasted
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice first 5 veggies into bite-size pieces.
Place into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray along with tomatoes and garlic. 
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss well.
Roast 30-40 minutes until tender.
Meanwhile, pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add orzo and sauté until lightly browned.
Pour broth over orzo and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the orzo absorbs the broth.
Add orzo to roasted veggies and mix thoroughly.
Season with additional salt or pepper, if needed.
Top with feta cheese and toasted pine nuts.
Cover with foil.
Bake 30 minutes.
Serve hot or at room temperature.
Serves 6-8

This is veggie love for sure!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and recipes. 






Pin It

17 comments:

  1. No need to convince me to eat orzo. We have some in the pantry nearly all the time. Made it last week for guests and topped it with shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. combination looks wonderful delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam: So you are from Louisville? I fell in love with the city. I had been there as a child and still have an elderly second cousin who lives there. My great grandmother lived in Danville, KY and I used to spend summers with her. The Brown is a great old hotel. The lobby is gorgeous! The restaurant on the lower level was delicious. We had breakfast there twice. No hot brown but I have the recipe and I'm going to do it soon and invite the parents of the groom over. The bride is from New Albany and that's why they chose Locust Grove. The couple lives in San Francisco. We enjoyed the good hospitality of the folks in Louisville.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I had already checked out your post this morning and am doing a version of your pasta for dinner!!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dish looks and sounds wonderful and I love orzo, too! Every time I make it, my hubby says "Mmm, good rice." I say "It's orzo." He says "What's orzo?" I say "Pasta." He says "Oh." Haha... this plays out every time I make the stuff! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to be back here!!! It's been a while since I last visited! What an excellent way to get in all those veggies! I don't think about Orzo much but this is the 2nd post today that I have read that's featuring it...I think I'll take that as a sure sign it needs to be in my near future. :) Beautiful Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a little addicted to roasted veggies right now. I look forward to trying this.

    fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, there is something about feta that makes a dish shine. Maybe, it is the contrast with surrounding ingredients. Whatever it is, this looks delicious.

    I would be delighted if you linked this to Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam,
    Well don't you know just the other day I was looking at Orzo in the store and wondering just how you use it.
    I like how you used it in the casarole as the veggies are the main part and the Orzo added in.
    I am not diabetic, however since a scare several years ago I tend to really watch just how many carbs I have in a dish, and this way yours has some but the whole dish is not carbs like Mac and Cheese would be or Macaroni Salad would be.
    I am looking forward to experimenting with Orzo thanks to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks wonderful....i am putting it on my Fall supper list

    kary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! I have always wanted to try Orzo ever since I've seen it at bloggerland, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Will keep looking!
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been cooking with orzo for years; this recipe is going in my collection; perfect for this time of the year.Thank you Pam.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  13. This would make a perfect work lunch. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds really good. I LOVE LOVE LOVE feta...and orzo:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My whole family loves feta cheese! This will be on our table soon! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've actually never cooked with orzo and am excited to try this recipe--it looks like a great combination of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam