all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A New Laptop, A Healthier Me and Cornmeal Cake with Macerated Berries for You!







What a week last week was!

I bought a new laptop last Wednesday ~ turned it over to Bubba that evening ~ he had it up and running and returned to me by Friday morning on his way to work.  In the meantime, I developed a very nasty little cough which seemed to clear up a little when Bill came down with the sweats and pneumonia out of the blue.  That left me with a good case of bronchitis.  So, even though I had the laptop working great, cooking and blogging were the last things on my mind.  But, I’m happy to say Bill is doing fine now and I’m just about cured!



Our first computer - 1983
Bubba 14 years old teaching Matt 8 years old


Bubba told me to look at HP computers as well as Toshiba and Lenovo.  There were many good ones but I fell for this HP Pavilion DV6000 series in brushed umber.  It feels sturdy with these specifications:   6GB memory and 640GB hard drive, a 15.6” screen with high definition display.  It came with Windows 7, Blu-ray support, Simple Pass fingerprint reader, and an island-style (Chiclet) keyboard (awesome!) and number pad.  So far, with many thanks to Bubba for setting it up, it’s great ~ I love it!

A week ago before the old laptop died, I was going to give you a mouthwatering dessert recipe in time for Labor Day weekend.  This recipe was in our local newspaper a while back and made me curious:

I like texture in food ~ you know, the feeling food has in your mouth.  I’m not much for mashed or creamed food with that soft mushy, slushy feeling; except for ice cream and even that I like with bits of fruit or nuts.  I’m not big on mashed potatoes and forget pudding, smoothies and custard.  So I had a feeling I’d like this cake because of the gritty texture of cornmeal.  And I did, it was a hit!

Cornmeal cake has a buttery, very appealing lightly gritty texture and that’s not all it’s about.  It includes a couple of teaspoons of finely grated orange rind that adds a tangy citrus taste to the cornmeal.  The recipe calls for strawberries, blueberries or raspberries; however, our farmer’s market had luscious blackberries so I used them for the sauce along with some Blackberry Brandy for depth. 

 It’s not a heavy hearty cake at all ~ it’s a perfect light, moist cake that is delicious when macerated blackberries are drizzled over a slice.  It’s truly inviting and heavenly! 







Here’s the recipe:

Cornmeal Cake with Macerated Berries
American Profile
Adapted

Cake:

1 cup flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
½ cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk

Berries:

1 cup blackberries
¼ cup sugar, or to taste (I used a tablespoon of it)
2 tablespoons Blackberry Brandy
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
Combine butter, sugar, orange rind and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until evenly blended.
Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and cornmeal alternately with milk, beating just until evenly incorporated.
Scrape into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
Bake 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool in pan on wire rack.

To prepare berries:

Mash berries in a large bowl.
Add sugar, juice and brandy and mix gently.
Serve drizzled over cake.



We really enjoyed this and I will be making it again!  YUM!!!


And thanks again Bubba!  You’re the best!!!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes.  





Pin It

25 comments:

Gloria said...

Pam this sbsolutely amazing and delicious, Im happy you have a new Lap top and hope you feel well.huggs, gloria

StephenC said...

Given that my dog likes to rest his face on my keyboard, I'm thinking I may need to get him his own computer.

Rita said...

Congratulations on your new laptop Pam; hopefully you will be feeling better real soon. I ws anxious to see what cornmeal cake was all about; surprise it's orange; loe this kind of recipe for a small cake; saving this for sure.
Rita

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

congrats on the new laptop....

and i LOVE the recipe

always enjoy stopping by here

kary

Janie said...

Glad to see everyone is on the mend..it seems to be going around even here in the east.

This cake looks great..I think I might try it for dinner! (well. ok, I'll be good...dessert...)

Lyndsey said...

Pam, congrats on the new computer. I know I have to be headed in that direction soon. Good to know what's out there now. Maybe Bubba can help me when the time comes! :D (my husband is no help at all)

Those berries look mouthwatering and I love the idea of a cornmeal cake. Bookmarked!

Buttercup said...

This looks terrific. Hope you and Bill are totally recovered. Yay for Bubba.

Spicie Foodie said...

Hi Pam, Glad to hear you are feeling better and have a brand new toy to play with. Your cornmeal cake looks amazing. Berries and cornmeal or corn muffins are one of my favorite combinations. Thanks for sharing.

Becky said...

Hi Pam,
I like blackberries on top of the delicious cornmeal cake, so pretty. I imagine that it tastes wonderful, and I'm sure that the blackberry brandy helps.

Glad that you are feeling better.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

Hi Pam

I hope that adorable grandson of yours is coming along nicely.

I love cake with berries and some of the berries available right now are awesome. Unfortunately, gritty anything is a texture I can't stand - from pears to fish roe, semolina / cornmeal.

Flavours sound amazing though.

Enjoy your new laptop ! Sending loads of love to all x

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love that picture! What a difference from your new laptop!

The cake looks wonderful! My kids would love some for dessert!

Pegasuslegend said...

I adore berries, what a great recipe have fun with you new laptop amazing beginning of a new chapter to write now!

Karen said...

Glad everyone is feeling better - it's no fun to be sick! Yay for a new laptop and yay-er (?) for a son who knows what he's doing with it! LOL I like that this cake is just one layer because too many desserts in this house last way too long - we're not much for sweets. I may give this a try!

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks delicious
congrats Pam on the new laptop I liked the picture of the old computer lovely memorable picture

scrambledhenfruit said...

So glad you're feeling better, and that you have a brand new laptop to have fun with! This cake looks yummy- blackberries are my favorite. :)

Pamela said...

Hi Pam! Haven't visited for a while, and I found you with a new laptop! congratulations for that and for the wonderful cake, I really love cornmeal, I will give it a try asap!, big hugs

bellini said...

We should all have an IT guy behind the scenes that we can tempt with baked goods:D

Susan said...

So glad you are up and running again! Lucky for you to have a techy so close and willing to help.

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I am so happy you are up and going again! I missed not only your delicious recipes, but also your wonderful writing! This post with this yummy recipe proves my point.

Dzoli said...

Great that we can enjoy again your fantastic ideas..like thisone;))

Pam said...

Gloria, thanks; much better now. Hugs!

Stephen, a computer could be a dogs' best friend!

Rita, thank you! The cake is great and perfect for a fruity sauce.

kary, thanks! I'm glad you stopped by!

Janie, lol! It would work for dinner for me.

Lyndsey, thanks! I'm sure Bubba would answer some questions for you! I love summer time for all the great berries out there.

Buttercup, we are - thanks! Glad we're back to normal, whatever that is!

Spicie, hi! Thank you! Always fun to have something new. Glad you like cake and berry combo too. Thanks for the visit!

Becky, yes! The brandy definitely gave it some oomph!

Sarah Jane, thanks for mentioning Matthew! He's fine and will be 7 months old on the 10th. Too funny, I understand with the gritty. Love to you all also and give Oliver a hug for me!

Debbi, thanks! Yeah, this cakes works for all.

Claudia, you're right! Thanks and here's wishing you an awesome day!

Karen, I agree, thanks! Bubba is the best! We seldom have dessert so it is great that this is just one layer.

Torviewtoronto, thanks! My old laptop started doing some spooky things so I'm thankful for this one!

scrambledhenfruit, thank you! It just doesn't seem normal to have pneumonia and bronchitis in the summer time!

Pamela, nice to see you! Thanks so much and I hope you try the cake!

bellini, you're right on spot! I'm always happy to cook for him while he's working on our computers! lol!!!

Susan, yes! I'm very fortunate to have Bubba and that he likes to work with computers!

Linda, thanks! You're a sweetie as usual and I know you saw some fantastic cakes in Iowa!

Dzoli, thank you! I'm so glad you like this dessert!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

A new computer . . . how fun. Hope you are on the mend.

Fondly,
Glenda

Marguerite said...

Love cornmeal cake and this looks scrumptious! And with the Blackberry Brandy, absolutely over-the-top! Congrats on your new laptop! Enjoy!

hbs1991 said...

Pam I love how simple this cake and berries look. I was wanting some thing simple to take to a friends home tomorrow and now I have it! Thanks

Diana said...

I love fruit cakes and in particular blackberry cakes. This looks great. You can look at my Blackberry Cake, you might like it.
Best regards!