all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, September 23, 2011

Coq au Vin the Slow Way







So when you were a kid and first heard of coq au vin, did you picture a “cocoa van” too?  And then you were told it was just chicken with wine…

Actually, coq au vin translates “rooster in wine.”  The recipe for this dish was first documented in the early 20th century but was created at least 400 years ago to tenderize tough old birds for poor households and in these tough times today ~ this recipe I’m giving you still fills the bill!

Prior until the 20th century, most rural families housed chickens for eggs and meat plus a rooster.  The rooster remained around until he was too old to perform his duties ~ then he would be killed and eaten.  The problem, by this time, was that the meat was barely edible; being tough and stringy.  Thus, this was “poor people’s food” since the well-off could afford better cuts of meat which did not require wine and slow cooking for a tender dish.

Nowadays, chicken is the cut of meat and it’s still stewed in wine.  It’s cooked and served “country-style” with the chicken and vegetables remaining together from beginning to end.  I chose to cook it in my slow cooker to allow the flavors of the dry red wine and tomato paste to meld with the meat and veggies for a hearty dish on a chilly yesterday!




Coq au Vin in the Slow Cooker

Ingredients:

4 boneless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons herbs de Provence
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups pearl onions, peeled*
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
3 tablespoons tomato paste

Method:

Place chicken in slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Season with herbs de Provence, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Add onions, mushrooms and carrots.
Whisk together in a medium bowl the wine, broth and tomato paste.
Pour over chicken and vegetables. 
Cover and cook on high for 5½ hours or on low for 7½ hours.
Serve over egg noodles or with mashed potatoes.
4 servings


ENJOY!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips and recipes. 





22 comments:

Whosyergurl said...

Pam, Perfect timing. We have two roosters and one of them keeps attacking me! Everyone thinks this is so funny, but I will tell you, it isn't. I fight him off with an old boat cushion! It is a battle every time I gather eggs or feed/water.
Doug says he is going to butcher him. I don't know if I can eat him or not as I raised him from a baby...even though he attacks me.
Thanks for this...xo, Cheryl

StephenC said...

When I was a kid I thought it was "cocoa" vin, which I tranlated as "chocolate chicken." Every now and then I buy a roaster (on sale of course) and make something like this.

Gloria said...

WOW Pam look delicious!! gloria

Mary said...

That sounds and looks absolutely wonderful, Pam. Great flavors!

From the Kitchen said...

When I was a child (in the south), we only heard of fried chicken and chicken and dumplings. I did a coq au vin several months ago and we loved it. I'll be planning a slow cooker one soon. Today's high--60 degrees!!

Best,
Bonnie

jose manuel said...

Un plato interesante.

Saludos

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

One of my favourite dishes. "cocoa van” haha never heard that before. Diane

Dzoli said...

Ja fantastic dish.And slow that is how it was meant to be done.Especially in olden days when it was made vrom Coq(rooster).Great anyway:))

Joanne said...

Slow cooker coq au vin is DEFINITELY the way to go! This looks like the quintessential comfort food!

Big Dude said...

This sounds delicious and a perfect dish for the slow cooker.

Pam said...

Cheryl, too funny! Wish I could see a little video of that. It reminds me of all the adventures on the farm. I don't blame you for not wanting to eat him!

Stephen, I thought of a chocolate van. Love those roasters!

Gloria, thanks!

Mary, thank you!

Bonnie, growing up, we had fried chicken often also, dumplings too. I can't remember the last time I made fried chicken. Yum! T-storm this afternoon, with hail??? GO BEARS!!!!

jose manuel, gracias! Es bueno!

Diane, LOL! That's what it sounded like to me! I bet you make a great version of it.

Dzoli, you're right! It had to be slow to tenderize the old bird! lol

Joanne, thanks! We liked it!

Larry, I hadn't had a slow cooker for years until now and had forgotten how easy it makes cooking.

Rita said...

Love coq au vin, but never thought of making it in my beloseed slow cooker; thanks for this recipe Pam.
Rita

Brownieville Girl said...

I have to get a slow cooker ... this looks delicious!

Care's Kitchen said...

I can promise you I will be making this! Love the chicken you use and perfect for the time of year approaching here in NJ...cooler, busier days and nights!

Jenn said...

I've made coq au vin before and was not that impressed with the outcome.. I need to try it in the slow cooker this time!! Thanks for the recipe :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I've always wanted to try this!

Christine's Pantry said...

That sounds and looks wonderful!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

You can't beat a good slow cooker recipe and this recipe is a winner!

Candace said...

I have never had coq au vin; but, that is going to change. I'm pinning this one to add to my menu plan. I love slow cooker meals. Thanks, Pam!

À LA GRAHAM said...

What a great recipe, I cant believe I have never had coq au vin, so I must try it! I am going to make it this weekend, thanks! :)

Carolyn Jung said...

A perfect winter dish -- especially over lovely egg noodles. And with a nice glass of wine, but of course! ;)

Chris said...

Cooking food like this, no matter how great it looks, is only going to encourage colder temperatures to come along....cut it out! :)

Have a great weekend!