all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mouthwatering Marinated Tomatoes






When the tomatoes are ripe and fresh from the garden, you can’t beat this great summertime dish! 

This recipe is from a friend of mine. The delicious flavors of the herb marinade enhance the juicy tomatoes for a savory side dish to serve with grilled steak, chicken or seafood.  I don’t always add the sugar and olives; however, if I do add the olives, I omit the salt--- it’s up to your liking.  


I don’t know about you but, I learned as a young girl from Helen, a family friend in Louisville, to always peel tomatoes no matter how you plan on serving them.  It makes all the difference in the world, no bitter taste or tough skin to chew. So peel your tomatoes before making this; place it in the refrigerator for at least several hours to marinate and then allow it to warm up to room temperature before serving since cold tends to inhibit the flavor. 

If you’re lucky to have some leftover, try tossing it with pasta, combine it with rice, serve it on a bed of lettuce, or chop up the tomatoes for a delicious bruschetta.  Just be sure to serve it with lots of crusty bread to soak up all the mouthwatering marinade!

Do you always peel your tomatoes too?







Marinated Tomatoes

Ingredients:

6 ripe tomatoes
½ cup green olives, sliced, optional
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup salad oil
1-2 teaspoons sugar, optional
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced fine
¼ cup snipped fresh parsley
1/3 cup green onions, tops too, sliced
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Method:

Peel and cut the tomatoes into 6 wedges each; 4 wedges if tomatoes are small.
Combine all ingredients, except the tomatoes in a large bowl. 
Whisk well.
Add tomato wedges and blend.
Place tomatoes in a deep, narrow bowl or a resealable plastic bag.
Marinate the tomatoes in a refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
If the oil should congeal after being in the fridge overnight, allow it to come back to room temperature.
Place in a bowl and spoon sauce over top.


ENJOY!  It’s juicy scumptious!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes.  She’s still judging at the Iowa State Fair.






Pin It

20 comments:

  1. My mother always peeled her tomatoes but I rarely do. This is the first year that we've not only been very late in getting tomatoes but find them to have very tough skins. This looks delicious. I'll certainly prepare some for us.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've put this one in my to-try folder! It sounds delicious, but I wouldn't peel the tomatoes for it. I only peel tomatoes when I plan on cooking them in something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it....looks so late summer....

    love your blog

    kary

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, this sounds and looks so delicious. What a great way to enjoy the vine ripened tomatoes that are now in the market. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marinated tomatoes sound delicious today and I have some tomatoes to use up as well. Whether or not I peel the tomatoes depends on the type of tomato and how I will be using them. I love the camparis I've been growing this year. The skin is tender and not at all bitter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just learned something new; peel your tomatoes(didn't know that) and refrigerate them. Anxious for my tomatoes ot be ripe enough to try your recipe; sounds good Pam.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. A pure banquet of nature well done lovely photo's we love ours this way too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, thanks! Yes, the tomatoes were late here this summer also but they're really been good.

    Annie, I hope you try this. I think it's great!

    jose manuel, gracias! El marinado es bien!

    Kary, thanks so much! I like yours also!

    Cathy, great! I'm sure you'll like this if you're a fan of tomatoes!

    Barefeet In The Kitchen, that's interesting! I will have to try and find the Camparis at the farmer's market.

    Rita, I've been peeling tomatoes ever since our friend told me about it. To me, it makes a big difference. Just be sure to take them out of the refrigerator and bring them close to room temperature before eating.

    Claudia, thanks! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sure would go well with some nice piece of Bbq:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These tomatoes look scrumptious and that marinade sounds divine! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I peel tomatoes when I can them for soup and stewed tomatoes, but I don't peel them to put on a sandwich. This marinated tomato dish sounds like one that could become a favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I'll try this for lunch tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since you ask, I actually never peel tomatoes, even if making a sauce. The skin will come off easily in the sauce and can be easily removed, and I eat tomatoes just like apples.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I peel tomatoes for only one thing - it's a concoction I will blog one day soon, called Tomatoes Xanadu. Otherwise, tomato skin is fiber, no, it is not bitter. What a waste to not use them whole.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dzoli, it would!

    Carrie, yes! Thanks!

    Marguerite, thanks and have a good day!

    Betty, hope you try this!

    laurie, great! I bet you'll like it!

    bellini, good! Bill eats them like an apple also. I can't do that!!!

    Stephen, have to see the Xanadu. Like I said above, Bill and others in family also eat tomatoes like an apple. Maybe because I'm not really a huge tomato fan, I still think the skin is nasty, nasty. Bill peels apples----I can't imagine doing that before eating it. So each to his own...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just marinated some tomatoes for pasta sauce! Great looking recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. SavoringTime in the Kitchen, yum! Sounds like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every time I am in Iowa, my aunt makes a tomato salad for me. I am going to pass along this delicious recipe to her and make a copy for me. She always has beautiful tomatoes from her garden and is looking for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam