Grilled Red Onions with Meat Candy


I say, “Peel the red beauties and grill ‘em!”   They’re so good they make me cry!




It’s hot here and we’re not used to this day after day. Normally it’s hot for 2 or 3 days, then we have a nice little rainstorm and it cools things off for several days.  Not this summer! It’s hot, hot, hot and very humid with more than our share of severe thunderstorms.  That means ~ DA grill!  (Sorry, I’ve been thinking about DA Bears lately!)

Eating grilled red onions is foodie heaven to me and is one of life’s little pleasures!  I mix them up with a little olive oil, red wine vinegar, lots of garlic cloves, fresh sprigs of basil, and the best meat candy there is:  BACON!  So you know this has to be delicious!  Just be sure to cook the bacon in a skillet until fairly crisp first unless you like the fat.

The smoky spicy aroma floating around while these onions were grilling was intoxicating.  The grilling makes for caramelized onions, turning them into tender natural sweetness.  It’s a perfect little side-dish that goes with about anything!

I wonder how this would be as an appetizer?


Grill 'em!


Grilled Red Onions

Ingredients:

8 bacon strips, cut into large slices and cooked almost crisp
4 red onions, peeled and quartered
10 garlic cloves, peeled
6 basil sprigs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Freshly ground pepper

Method:

Divide mixture between 2 large pieces of foil.
Fold and seal into a package.
Place on hot grill for 15 to 20 minutes.
Open carefully and serve.

ENJOY!!!

Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes.  



Comments

  1. As a long-suffering Bears fan, I'd like to point out that under the stalwart leadership of Lovie, Jerry, and Ted it's no longer 'Da Bears'...it's been changed to 'Duh Bears'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bubba, you're right! Silly me was thinking of DA Ditka!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious for our hot, hot days. Actually, the rainstorm during the night seems to have cooled things down to almost bearable this morning. We'll see.

    Before we moved here, I thought DA Bears meant that the D and A were initials for something!! Go Bears!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great recipe that would make my guys cry with pleasure. Anything invlving bacon does that and with those grilled red onions wow! Good one Pam.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Love* grilled red onions and the bacon & garlic only make it better! Oh, I made your Liquid Gold (swoon) and it's fabulous - I use it for everything... even slathered some on chicken sandwiches last night. I haven't blogged it yet - will have to make some more and do that. Thanks for all your great recipes, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Onions and bacon, what's not to like. However, since they're are packets the grill is not necessary. I don't have a grill. What temp for the oven? scrout1944@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, you're right! It's 86 here now and not so humid. lol!!! Go Bears!

    Rita, bacon will do that every time! It goes so good with the onions. Have a good day!

    Karen, I'm thrilled you like the Liquid Gold! It's the best, isn't it? You reminded me that I need to make more and then to try it on a chicken sandwich! Glad you're a fan of the onions too.

    Stephen, I will email you.

    The Slow Roasted Italian, and I'm glad you are! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a super recipe, so easy and perfect for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Grilled onions! With your high temps DA grill must come in so handy! Football season is just around the corner.
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm those onions must taste SO sweet and smoky. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i saw the grilled onions on somebodys sidebar..and that's what i am doing tonight...but what REALLY got my attention was MEAT CANDY !!! BACON !!!! too funny,


    happy to stop by today

    kary

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fun dish, it look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did someone say meat candy??? YUM!! Grilling onions is THE best way to enjoy them!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a good idea..looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was trying to figure out if we could just eat lime ices for dinner to beat the heat! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a package of goodness! That is good by itself or poured on top of a grilled steak. You are making me hungry Pam and I just ate grilled wings an hour ago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do something similar to this. My husband is a big meat and potatoes man, so I add sliced potatoes to the packet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow .. looks absolutely tempting,hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

_________________________

"We plan, we toil, we suffer – in the hope of what? A camel-load of idol’s eyes? The title deeds of Radio City? The empire of Asia? A trip to the moon? No, no, no, no. Simply to wake just in time to smell coffee and bacon and eggs."
~ J.B. Priestly
_________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Popular Posts