all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, August 8, 2011

Cracklin' Georgia Cracker Salad

Here's a definitely distinctively delicious salad just for you!




This surely sounds like a Southern recipe and I’m curious about the origin.  Were some saltines and a jar of mayo hanging out on the counter beside a bowl of juicy chopped tomatoes when the Georgia cook wanted a salad and VOILA?  Any which way, I tore this recipe out of some newspaper years ago because we’re wild about tomatoes and the crackers with it intrigued me.  


Sometimes, I add another egg or an extra onion or two and use Hellman’s Reduced Fat Mayonnaise with Olive Oil instead of regular mayo.  I go light on the salt or not at all and heavy on the pepper.  All the ingredients make this a mouthwatering salad that’s about as addictive as the WWW.


Here’s a little tomato tidbit: 

Latomatina.org, the official website of the famous tomato throwing festival in Bunol, Spain, offers a number of tips.  They include:  Bring a change of clothing (because you can’t get on the bus out of town soaked in tomatoes), wear goggles (acidic tomato juice really stings) and squash the tomato before you throw it (the goal isn’t to hurt anyone).  So now you have the scoop for your next trip to Bunol, Spain!


Back to the salad ~ the saltine’s crunchiness combined with the egg, mayo and luscious, ripe, juicy tomato cries out summer time like nothing else!   YUM!!!



Georgia Cracker Salad

Ingredients:

1 sleeve saltine crackers, about 40 saltines
1 large ripe tomato, finely chopped
3 green onions, finely chopped
1½ cups mayonnaise
1 hardboiled egg, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Method:

In a medium-size bowl, coarsely crush the crackers with your hands into big cracker pieces.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately.
4 servings


If you’re a tomato lover, you have to give this a try!  You will be amazed at how delicious it is!!!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes. 





Pin It

24 comments:

  1. This is so simple! I bet the crackers give it a nice crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops sorry I cannot spell my name!!!
    I have masses of tomatoes in the garden and some eggs that need using, guess what I will be having for lunch tomorrow :-) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming from up north, I admit I have never heard of this salad; but I am truly curious. Our tomatoes are just starting to ripen.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a tomato lover and this salad sounds so delicious and easy! Will be trying it, for sure. Thanks for the great recipe and the tips for the tomato throwing contest! So funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a new one to me too! My hubby loves saltines so I'd love to try this since my cherry tomatoes are ripening fast now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would think you wouldn't really need too much more salt what with using saltines in the recipe. But I can imagine this is quite good. I use a recipe for faux fried chicken that involves a coating of saltines and butter before you bake the chicken, and that's yummy as hell. As a matter of fact, I've never met a food that involved use of saltines that I haven't liked! I'm serious. I once was given an oddball recipe of tuna, hot sauce, and marshmallow fluff (I'm seriously not kidding) served on a saltine and it was shockingly and surprisingly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jose manuel, gracias! Muy bien ensalata. Saludos!

    Karen, yes! It's all about the cracker crunchiness!

    Diane, lol~ I've had that problem too. Oh, I hope you do try this tomorrow. I think you'll like it.

    Rita, give it a try! Bill and I were both surprised how good it was the first time I made it.

    Marguerite, yes, it's a bonus that it is so easy to make. Glad you liked the tips too.

    Susan, this would be great with cherry tomatoes. Hope your hubby likes it.

    Suldog, you're right about the salt, it's not really needed. That fried chicken sounds pretty good! The saltine with the tuna and all is pretty wild. I'll try about anything once, especially if marshmallow fluff is involved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw Paula Deen make this years ago on her show and tried it at home. It was great! Haven't made it since though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this salad Pam,. look delicious! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sending this recipe on to my aunt! She has a beautiful garden and is always asking me for tomato recipes. The older I get, the more pepper I am adding to my food, so I think I will take your advice about going light on the salt and heavy on the pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would never have occurred to me to make a salad from saltine crackers, but since I like all of the ingredients and crunchy dishes, I'm sure I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must try this--I'm from the South, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd also like to know the origin of this recipe... very interesting indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. corgidogmama, hello!!! How are the corgis doing now??? Hope all is well with them and you! I can see Paula Deen making this great recipe!

    Gloria, thanks! It's a good one!

    Linda, I know we're sisters now! Just a few years ago I started doing the pepper thing. Hope you're aunt likes this. I'm guessing you're still in FL and having a great time!

    Larry, you have to try this! I think you and your wife would like it!

    The Blonde Duck, lol!!! Good things come from the South, think peaches and grits.

    Jenn, a lot of recipes make me wonder how they were created!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard of cracker salad, but never ate one. This one must be scrumptious. I love the idea.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rosa, thanks! It's good!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tomatoes and Mayo are always a hit here. Adding in a little crunch would be good.
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, this sounds terrific... a great recipe for all the tomatoes i have almost ready to pick from my very first garden... I do hope you share this with us...

    Dave from eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both my husband and father in law would simply adore this salad....Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh Pam I have missed you and your site. Of course every time I visit I leave here hungry. lol
    This sounds like a easy and good recipe so I may have to give it a try in this heat we are having in Tx.
    Hope your doing well Have to catch up with you while I am here
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Folks, you have to stop posting such wonderful things. I'm too old to catch up. Pam, I'm curious to know about the deleted comment I noticed above. If you care to, write me at scrout1944@msn.com. Best, StephenC

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds good and different. We have lots of fresh tomatoes from the garden and it is nice to have a variety of ways to fix them. I want to see that tomato fest someday!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam