all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, July 22, 2011

Tuna Macaroni Salad





Bill says, “Why don’t you make tuna macaroni salad like my Mom did?”  I can’t tell you what I say…

This time of year, Bill reminisces about being a kid at the family picnic, anticipating beating his uncles in the baseball game and eating his Mom’s tuna mac salad.  He claims it was the best and I’m a believer because I’d never had it before.



Bill, circa 1960




Unfortunately, I don’t know the recipe but I try my best to replicate his Mom’s; however,  there are so many possibilities:    chunks of tuna, sweet pickle slices, pickle relish, sliced olives, onions, mayo, miracle whip, mustard, celery, green onions, red onions, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, celery seeds, salt and pepper.  So many things and I’ve tried them all in countless combinations…

This is the way I usually make it; it’s pretty simple and it makes Bill and me happy. 

Do you like macaroni tuna salad and if so how do you make yours?

Here’s mine:




Tuna Macaroni Salad

Ingredients:

8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
12 ounces Albacore tuna, drained
½ cup red onion, chopped
3 tablespoons pickle relish
1 tablespoon white vinegar
½ teaspoon celery seed
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup Miracle Whip

Method:

After macaroni is cooked and drained well, add remaining ingredients and blend.
Refrigerate for several hours and serve.

Sooo good!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes.  She’s having a Double Giveaway now!











Pin It

19 comments:

jose manuel said...

Muy buen plato si señor, me encanta.

Saludos

Big Dude said...

Looks like we're thinking along the same lines for meals this week. I finished ours for breakfast this morning.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

a perfect summer dish for a hot day

happy to drop by today

kary and teddy

StephenC said...

When I posted 1950's style tuna noodle casserole I could remember only the very basic stuff my mother used. Your recipe sounds much more authentic. Hope your husband liked it. If he didn't, remind him about the time he lost the ball game by letting a grounder go between his legs.

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Yum! We add chopped celery and not celery seed, but of course there is always Miracle Whip. I just love your recipes! They bring back such great memories of my mom and my grandmother's cooking.

Pam said...

jose manuel, gracias! Que tengas una buena noche.

Larry, lol That's a new one for breakfast, sounds good to me.

kary and teddy, thanks! I'm happy you dropped by and have a good weekend!

Stephen, I have to make tuna and noodle casserole since I haven't in ages. Bill would probably rather forget the grounder!

Linda, thanks! These cold salads are great in the summer!

From the Kitchen said...

Miracle Whip was the only salad dressing my mother used! What a memory! I don't recall her making tuna macaronic salad but she did a good tuna noodle casserole.

You mentioned you are reading "Cutting for Stone". I loved it! Hope you do too.

Best,
Bonnie

Pam said...

Bonnie, I do love the book! I'm about 1/3 of the way through. It's interesting and I love the insight to their way of life!

Rita said...

I have been looking for you Pam and finally found your blog again; now I am a follower. I love your recipes.
My husband's favourite thing is macaroni salad; I haven't made it in a while. Now it is on my list for this week when my son comes to visit. Never made it with tuna; sounds good.
Rita

Jill said...

My mom made tuna mac with Miracle Whip but I use Hellman's Lite Mayo. Also shell macaroni because it fills up with all those yummy ingredients. And celery, onion and a couple of hard boiled eggs. Sometimes I add sliced green olives. Yum!

Pam said...

Rita, it's great to see you here! I have added you to my blog list to find you easily. Glad you like macaroni salad and hope you try it with tuna. It's good!

Jill, I want to try your tuna mac salad! It sounds wonderful with the green olives and shell mac. Have a good weekend!

The Slow Roasted Italian said...

My mom and dad make macaroni salad with tuna in it. But, no specific tuna macaroni salad.

I love it either way. Thanks for sharing.

Pam said...

The Slow Roasted Italian, great! Thanks for stopping by!

Holly said...

Mmmm. Sounds delish!

Pegasuslegend said...

simply fabulous!

Buttercup said...

I leave out the celery and use Hellman's Light and I am back fifty years. So simple and one of my favorites.

LaMagicaZucca said...

Browsing the web of blogs, I ended up here in yours.
I love your blog: Recipes, graphics, all the interesting content.
I have added to your followers so you do not lose more sight.
If you like, go and see, you're welcome.
Excuse my English, I'm Italian
La Magica Zucca

Monet said...

I love macaroni salad, but I don't ever make it. I need to make your variation asap! Thank you for sharing with me, my friend! I hope you are having a relaxing Sunday. As always...this looks delicious (and I'm sure it tastes even better)!

Jenn said...

I love tuna macaroni salad... I make it all the time :)