all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, July 18, 2011

Mom’s Pressed Chicken Spread

I was going through Mom’s recipe box recently and came across this recipe.  I don’t know the origin of it but, I remember her making the spread for some pretty tasty sandwiches when I was a kid.  This is simple and light for the hot summer days we’re having now.  





It may sound like a lot of celery---include it all; it won’t give the chicken spread a strong celery taste.  Combining the celery with the nuts adds a little crunch to the spread with the flavors complementing the chicken perfectly.  Mom always put the chicken through a manual meat grinder but I use the food processor for a speedy job.  When adding the broth, be careful not to add so much as to make it mushy.  You can always add more of it or a little mayo if needed after it has been well chilled. 

It’s good on about any type of bread or toast and slider buns also, with a lettuce leaf or two for a savory sandwich; however, spread it on crackers and you are treated to a saporous appetizer! Mom’s Chicken Spread is great summer fare that I hope you try!






Mom’s Pressed Chicken Spread

Ingredients:

3 pounds boneless chicken breasts
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
¾ cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon onion, grated
1 tablespoons sweet pickle juice
1 cup celery, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon curry powder
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method:

Cook chicken in large sauce pan in salted water to cover until tender and done.
Remove from broth; reserving broth.   Set aside to cool.
Place chicken in food grinder and grind, or food processor or chop fine with a knife.
In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and mayonnaise, beating well.
Add pecans, onions, pickle juice, celery, curry powder, salt and pepper.
Stir until well blended.
Place ground chicken in cream cheese mixture and combine thoroughly.
Add ¼ to ½ cup reserved chicken broth to desired consistency.
Mixture will thicken when chilled.
Mom’s note:  chicken will be moister if cooked the day before using and placed in the broth to chill in the refrigerator.


ENJOY!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!






Pin It

31 comments:

  1. This looks likes great for frequent summer use. It's going to the top of my must try list. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious, Pam. I love sandwiches and know I will like this filling. Some of my favorite recipes have come out of my mom's old files. We are so lucky to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good. I think we would love chicken as a spread. Nice to find the recipes from your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are certainly a hundred ways to make a prep like this. Yours sounds perfectly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good chciken salad, I'll have to put this on my list of to do soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mom has to be brillant! I love chicken salad never have I thought to put cream cheese I cant wait to try this... mom knows best thanks for much for sharing her recipe! The BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pecans & celery are a sign of a great chicken salad. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was allured by the name chicken spread, What a great alternative for people who may not like tuna or want something for a cool, light summer sandwich. This sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Una receta diferente, ha quedado muy bien.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Diane, I love that you found and posted one of your mom's recipes. I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is going on my list to make for tomorrow. It sounds delicious and I appreciate that it is a tried and true recipe from your childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. On a hot humid day this would hit the spot at dinner! How nice to have your mom's recipe box.
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This would be good on rye toast! Love the combination of ingredients! Hope all is well Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our mom's must have been related! My mom makes something similar to this. Instead of curry powder, she adds grapes. We also will eat it just on crackers.

    Signed,
    Your long lost sister,
    Linda

    Double Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dr. Dan, great! I hope you like it as much as we do!

    Cathy, you are so right! I wish I had my grandmother's recipes in addition to mom's.

    Carol, thanks! This spread is kind of different and perfect for a sandwich.

    Stephen, thanks! Yeah, it's just one of many and just maybe it's the best! ;)

    Jody, you must try this then. It's simple and filled with flavor.

    Claudia, thanks! It kind of threw me when I saw the recipe as I never imagined cream cheese was in it. It makes it really creamy good!

    Andrea, so true! Love all the different additions to chicken salad.

    Ree, hi Mama! I know you're very busy now and loving every second of it! Hugs to you all!

    Jose Manuel, si! Es diferente y muy bien! Gracias!

    Diane, they are and my mom had a lot of them. Only problem with some of them is that she wrote down the ingredients only and then trying to figure it out.

    Lyndsey, thanks! Mom did a lot of cooking so there are a lot of her recipes!

    Vee, it's tried and true for sure and I hope you really enjoy it!

    JG, yes! I was thrilled to get her recipe box and to look at all of her recipes.

    Susan, a big HI!!! to you!!!! It's fantastic to see you here. Hope all is well with you, Jim and the Corgi's! And have a nice "rest of the summer." Hugs

    Glenda, thanks! It is yummy!

    Linda, this proves we're sisters for sure! Kind of funny with all the similarities. I always wanted a sister and am so glad I found you!!! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Pam, this chicken spread is really delicious and familiar! We called it by the same name when we were children. My mom served it on white Pullman bread cut in half without the crust. I got to make this wonderful recipe of yours to remember the good old days! Thanks Pam for making this! Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. michelangelo, great! I'm glad it brings back good memories for you! Sometimes the good old ones are great! Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pam, I love the cream cheese and curry in this. Gives it all sorts of special flavors and I'm sure the celery provides lots of crunch.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the cream cheese
    Compliment

    ReplyDelete
  20. I actually like celery in my chicken spread... it's probably the one application that I really enjoy it in other than raw and by itself :) This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love trying new chicken salad recipes..this looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sam, exactly! I never would've considered adding cream cheese to the chicken but it's perfect.

    angiecoock, great! I'm glad you like it!

    Jenn, I know what you mean. Bill isn't crazy about celery but really likes it in this.

    Emily, thanks and have a good evening!

    laurie, thanks! You'll have to try it!

    girlchef, thanks! Glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a big chicken salad fan. Your mom's recipe sounds delicious and full of flavor. I like the addition of cream cheese and curry powder, sounds interesting and yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your Mom's chicken salad and I can't wait to give it a try! I've never used cream cheese before and it sounds like a delicious addition. Love the nuts in there, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't eat pecans or walnuts. Do you think using sunflower kernels would be okay?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Salads and sandwiches are about all we've been eating since the temps have climbed. This chicken spread sounds really good- I use both celery and pickle juice in my chicken salad, but I'll have to try it your mom's way sometime. Moms have the best recipes- almost as good as grandma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Pam... thank you so much for posting this recipe to eRecipeCards.com. I made this (with a couple of small changes) for a road trip sandwich and it was SPECTACULAR. the pickle juice caught my eye, but the curry and cream cheese combination really made this unusual and very very good.

    I did a blog post today about it, please come take a look...

    http://erecipecards.blogspot.com/2011/08/moms-chicken-spread-ala-pams-midwest.html

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam