all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, July 25, 2011

Carolina-Style Barbecue Chicken Breasts



OK, I know there are endless recipes for chicken on the grill but, you really should try this one ~ it really attracted me!  Maybe it was the “mustard” that caught my eye.  Or, maybe it’s because of the word “Carolina.”  I love, love the “Carolina’s” and envy you if you reside there!

We looked at homes, and fell for one, in the Greenville, South Carolina area before we retired.  Due to some circumstances of elderly relatives here, we decided it was best to stay put.  Of course, we talk about it now and then, but now we have our first grandchild, Matthew, who is 5½ months old and South Carolina is just too far from him.  Here is a photo of him since some of you have kindly asked about him:


Matthew at 5 months

 I digress, as Bubba razzes me, “you shifted gears again without a clutch.”  So, back to the chicken…

Ohhhhhh! Yummmmm!!!  These grilled chicken breasts are about the best I’ve ever eaten.  According to the recipe in Food Network Magazine, they only have to marinade for about 10 minutes.  (Their recipe is for chicken thighs).  I’m a “mustard” addict and this is a perfect mustard marinade!  It’s loaded with the good flavors of apple cider vinegar, brown sugar (I use Splenda), mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and as much hot pepper sauce as you dare to use. 

Grill those chicken breasts and baste them with a little of the sauce.  Then serve the chicken with some reserved sauce, tomato salad and maybe a pasta side-dish.  Now, that’s good summertime eating!







Carolina-Style Barbecue Chicken Breasts
Adapted

Ingredients:

½ cup Dijon or yellow mustard
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup packed Splenda Brown Sugar, or regular
1½ tablespoons mustard powder
1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoons McCormick’s Seasoned Pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Method:

Prepare grill.

Whisk the yellow mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard powder, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Toss the chicken with about one-third of the sauce in a large bowl until coated.
Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
Put ¼ cup of the remaining mustard sauce in a small bowl for basting and reserve the rest for topping.
Grill the chicken, basting occasionally with the sauce, until well marked and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 170 degrees, about 12-15 minutes per side.
Serve with the reserved mustard sauce.


I will be trying this on wings the next time!  Yum!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes.  She’s having a Double Giveaway now!






Pin It

32 comments:

  1. Chicken looks great, but that little precious child...hugs and kisses on those cheeks from me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew looks like he'd happily gum some of that delicious southern barbecued chicken. They grow so quickly. You're fortunate to be nearby to see that process. He's adorable!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mustard too. And I eat lots of chicken breasts, especially marinaded. How nice to find this recipe.
    Matthew is adorable! I can see why you wouldn't want to be too far away from him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mathew is adorable; I have one named Mathieu and he is now 18...enjoy cause it sure goes too fast. This has all the ingredients for a tasty supper from the grill.Thanks Pam.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matthew is the cutest thing! So happy that you slipped him in here!

    I adore mustard BBQ sauce. This is a must make on my list! I just tried some Lay's Carolina Barbecue flavored, and you can really taste the mustard in it. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing!! This is definitely a SOUTH Carolina BBQ recipe...North Carolina is a RED BBQ sauce state, my particular favorite. Maurice's BBQ in Columbia, SC is a great restaurant. Just remember....no one from the South moves back up north when they retire!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matthew is so cute and adorable!
    And the barbecue chicken looks good, love all the ingredients!
    Have a lovely day, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who cares about the recipe when you have such a cute grandson! You are so blessed! As for the chicken recipe, I think you can't have enough of them and this mustard sauce makes it a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You strike me as the sort of person who would not just buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of the whole bird. Think about it: it's about dollars and senses and about the useful things a person can do with the rest of a bird. And, by the way, Matthew is almost as handsome as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, Now that is some good looking chicken! Looks and sounds great! Thanks for the recipe... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chicken looks perfect Pam and the sauce sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute grandchild.
    This looks like a 5 star recipe to me for the grill, yum yum. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, thanks! He's a very huggable and kissable little guy!

    Bonnie, lol! I'm sure he'd love to one of these days real soon. He just started trying a little rice cereal; he's not real keen on it though. Probably waiting for the good stuff!

    Dedene, you have to try this since you like mustard. I bet it would be good with any kind. Thanks, we think so to with Matthew!

    Rita, good for you with your grandson, love the spelling! You're right with the tasty supper!

    Lyndsey, thank you! I try to slip him in every chance I get. ;) I will be looking for the Lay's! It sounds great to me and I hope the stores here have it. Thanks!

    Mr. Bill, I've heard about that BBQ sauce feud down that way and I'm glad to know the difference. Actually, I like the sound of both and I hope to visit the restaurant one of these days. And I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to move North at retirement time or any time for that matter!

    kitchen flavours, thank you! Glad you like the chicken also.

    Linda, thanks! I am blessed with him for sure! If you like mustard, this sauce is great!

    Stephen, I usually buy the whole bird but they had a great sale on the boneless, skinless I couldn't resist. My MIL worked at a butcher shop for many years and taught me how to perfectly cut up a whole chicken, filet meat, etc. so I learned how to do it correctly; it's easy and much cheaper as you say. So please be easy on me and give me a 9 out of 10 for this recipe!!!!! ;)

    Big Daddy Dave, glad you like it! The taste is pretty saucy good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Larry, thank you! It spices chicken up perfectly. Have a good day!

    Diane, thanks! It is 5 stars and I hope you give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm also a mustard lover and those sound fantastic.
    And what a little cutie he is.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adooooorable!

    The chicken looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. katiez, thanks! Have a good rest of the day!

    Emily, thank you! Glad you like both pics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the carolina style bbq and I dont do it enough - this is motivation for me to get on it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, Matthew is adorable.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Matthew is so cute. :)
    I can imagine how delicious the chicken breast is.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what a cutie Matthew is! Once the smiling begins, its all over for having self control! The chicken with it's mustard sauce looks so good! Love mustard, must give this one a try, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this looks so tangy and delicious, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I too have a deep love for mustard. I may actually have crossed the line to become a mustard stalker but let's not talk about that. Let's talk about this super hot chicken and how super delicious it looks! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. christo, I don't either! Glad this motivates and that you stopped by!

    Glenda, thanks! This is all new to me and I definitely think he's adorable. lol

    Little Inbox, thanks so much! Give the chicken a try, you'll like it!

    Melynda, you are right about that! He's one "smiley" baby who leaves with me with no self control! Glad to hear you're a mustard lover too!

    teresa, thanks! It's a great way to serve grilled chicken!

    Parsley Sage, I can relate to the mustard love. I've got many jars of it in the fridge, all flavors. Give it a try on your chicken! And thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Matthew is just precious and I think that he resembles you, Pam! And that chicken looks totally scrumptious! I love mustard in sauces and I can't wait to try this sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Marguerite, thanks! I think he's precious too and the chicken is scrumptious! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are never going to believe this.. I just made this same thing this weekend except I used a whole chicken... I didn't get one good picture so I couldn't blog about it!!! lol I'll have to send everyone over here now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jenn, too funny! Then you know it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hate to think how many "mental transmissions" you've wrecked by not using the clutch...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bubba, that's why I'm running on automatic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sounds right up my alley. I'm not in Carolina (north) but I can see it from my office at work on a clear day.

    I'll have to give this a try. I've been known to grill once or twice;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Matthew is a little doll and I know what you mean. If I lived close to my granddaughters, I'd never move :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam