all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, July 29, 2011

Amazing Bacon Tomato Cups!





“I can resist anything but temptation.”  I know Oscar Wilde said it years before my time but, it’s my motto!

And as an example, it’s that bacon and tomato thing that is hard for me to resist!  If you need a savory appetizer in the near future, here’s the one to try!  A friend gave me this recipe a while back.  She told me she took the train into Chicago one day to visit an old family friend who served these delicious little bites.  Joyce told me it was the best appetizer she could remember eating.  Thankfully, her friend shared the recipe!

It combines the great flavors of tomato, bacon and mayo.  But that’s not enough!  Add a little chopped onion, some shredded Swiss cheese and a little dried basil if you want to; pile it all in biscuit dough lining a mini-muffin tin, bake and VOILA!  You have a very divine little temptation that’s hard to resist!

You have to try it to believe it!

By the way, have you ever heard of a tomato called Radiator Charlie’s Mortgage Lifter?  A West Virginia auto mechanic named M.C. Byles, aka Radiator Charlie, crossbred large tomatoes in the 1930’s and came up with a whopper that he sold for $1 a plant, making enough money that it was appropriately called the Mortgage Lifter.  Now that’s a whopper tomato!


Now, here’s the recipe:







Bacon Tomato Cups

Ingredients:

8 slices of bacon, chopped and cooked crisp
1 medium tomato, chopped and seeds removed
½ small onion, chopped
3 ounces Swiss cheese
½ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dried basil, optional
1 can flaky biscuit dough*

Method:

Mix first 6 ingredients together.
Separate the biscuit dough into halves or thirds and shape them into greased mini-muffin tins.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until dough is golden brown.

*Pam’s note:  I have also used crescent roll dough for this, dividing it into about 16 mini-muffin cups.



I think the next time; I’ll add some chopped shrimp to it!  YUM!!!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes.  She’s having a Double Giveaway now!





Pin It

31 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Bacon! I have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh forget- Never heard of the Mortgage Lifter being called Radiator Charlie, but I have grown Mortgage lifters here on Li for over 20 years..LOVE them..they are HUGE!! One slice fits a sandwich perfectly..(in fact some hang over the edge) No pieces to fall out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your plan to add shrimp to this recipe! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam I love appetizers like these. I also can't resist bacon, cheese and tomatoes, seems they so so well with eggs too. I saw Steamy Kitchen do bacon eggs and cheese toast cups and thought I have to make these, but wanted to add tomatoes and spinach to them. Now I want to make these...maybe I'll just have a muffin tin party! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound amazing! I never heard of the tomatoes, but what a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to try these! Maybe even this weekend.

    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, this sounds like such a winner. I am so glad you shared. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Que ricura de receta, delicioso.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anything with bacon in it has to be good..... with shrimps as well..... Have a good weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tomato and bacon go amazingly well together. I enjoy them just in a general big fry-up, such as a full Irish (or English, or Scottish) breakfast. Lovely fried tomatoes, thick slab of Irish bacon, along with the other goodies... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't resist temptation and I certainly couldn't resist these delicious little tarts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janie, thanks! That's pretty cool with the tomatoes. They have to be similar to Beefsteak tomatoes. I've not seen the mortgage lifters around here unfortunately.

    Linda, yes. I bet shrimp would be good in it.

    Lyndsey, thanks! I'm glad you like them! I agree with the egg thing. We eat BLT's with a fried-hard egg. They're the best sandwich! A muffin tin party would be great. :-) And so would adding spinach to this! Have a good weekend!

    The Slow Roasted Italian, yes! I liked the story too. People amaze me with their ingenuity!

    Karen, I'm sure you will like them! Great flavors! Thanks for the visit!

    Susan, thanks! It's a great recipe for sharing!

    jose manuel, gracias! Muy bien!

    Diane, you're right with the bacon. You have a good weekend also!

    Suldog, it's good to see you here! I so agree with the usual fry-up. My favorite breakfast!

    Jennifurla, they are, thanks!

    Michael, You got it! I'm with you all the way! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm these look delicious... I love the shrimp idea. I might try them with with some goats cheese and red onion too x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great savory for Afternoon Tea Pam! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, yes please! These sound incredibly good! And soon I'll have tomatoes sprouting out of everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look yummy! I will add the recipe to my repertoire for mini muffins. Thanks for the tip !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. these look so good! delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pam, Nice recipe! My kind of snack food... I'll get my wife to make this using Benton's Bacon. Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now this would be a great snack. I'm hungry now! Thank you for always making me smile with your yummy food, thoughtful words and inciting recipes, Pam. I hope you have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These bacon tomato cups look divine! And with shrimp, Fab! Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. freerangegirl, great idea you have with the goat cheese and red onion! Please send some my way!

    bellini, thanks! Have a good day!

    Berideen, they'd be perfect for that; a great treat!

    Reeni, lol! Glad you like them! Have a fun day!

    Jean, you're welcome and I hope you try them one of these days!

    teresa, thanks! They are!!!

    Big Daddy Dave, sounds like a plan to me! Benton's bacon must be special. It's a new one to me. I fry up Oscar Meyer Bacon here.

    Monet, these are good; I think you'd like them. Have a great Sunday and take care.

    Marguerite, thanks and you're welcome. I think they'd really be great with shrimp! I should've added that it was really Bill's suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm pretty sure that this must be illegal because it tastes too good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. How adorable and yummy looking are these...very easy to make and even easier to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, BLT's are a classic for a reason. These cute cups should be too! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  26. new here, but wanted to say I loved your pork chop recipe and this tomato cup recipe! I've made both and will continue to read your blog!
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pam this sounds great and I already have so many variations swirling through my mind. This would be so good to make when having company, to bad all the good simple things are what I forget when I need them the most!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. verything's better with bacon and love the use of the easy peasy dinner rolls

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam